Guarding Dillinger with Thompson

Crown point, Indiana, just after the capture of Dillinger, Jan 30, 1934- Men stationed next to the jail. This could possibly be # 7387 or # 6444 that he stole while breaking out about a month later. Both were 21AC's

My mistake: 6444 was a 21A

chi-dill13guard-20130910.jpg

Edited by OCM
  • Upvote 1

Notice all the magazines he had sitting on the window sill. Must have been expecting a big firefight!

They had brought the National Guard in for awhile too. One photo I have, a guy out front with a Thompson with a C drum.

Larry Wack has said records show a # 6464 listed with interviews from police. This maybe the Thompson with the C drum.

NOT a Dillinger gun. They even borrowed # 7387 from Porter County up North as a security measure.

# 6464, a National Guard Thompson ???????????????

OCM

The 4 magazines on the window sill appear to be 20 round mags. I apologize for my ignorance, but in what year did they start manufacturing 30 round box magazines? I haven't been able to find that information so far.

30 rd, no clue here ? WWII ?

I think the #6464 was an early recording error from above, was #6444, which resides now in Lake County where it started.

Got some real good history on # 7387, the other Dillinger gun, from Agent Wack today. Interesting American history stuff.

OCM

That is a great picture. Thank you for posting!

The 30 round magazine was a World War II invention. It is not correct for Colt era Thompsons. I would guess the 30 round magazine was introduced in 1941, probably late 1941. This information may be available in TUTB.

Haaaa, I guess he did- I corrected myself above, the Lake County Thompson is a 21A. ( to many Thompsons to keep track of ) That being said, this was probably #7387, the 21AC borrowed from Porter County. Dillinger is pictured with the same Thompson ,( after he borrowed it a month later during his escape), at the family farm in Mooresville, Indiana, April 6-7, 1934.

# 7387 was ALSO used in a shootout with police in St Paul .

As in most crime, he paid a big interest payment on it.

Here he is with # 7387 and a Dillinger family picnic photo ..... The picture is accidentally published in reverse in a lot of books.

OCM

april.jpg

I got to shoot that TSMG # 7387 a few years ago at a Thompson shoot in IN. The Porter Co. Sheriff brought it and let anyone who wanted to shoot it. Got to keep the siloutte target and the Sheriff signed them for us.

NICE- My friends did the same also with 6444. Saved the brass and made a couple key rings from them . I have a key ring from each in my 1933 Buick, one for ignition and one for the locking radio. 7387 & 6444.

Worthless but fun.

I'm sure John would be proud. Haaaaa.

DSCN6778.JPG

I'd never seen or even heard of a locking radio. That's way cool. What a literal blast from the past.

One question, to the right and above the radio is a knob marked "spark". Is this something you could advance the timing with by pulling the knob? Curious if that's a magneto ignition.

Edited by Dolphinvet

#315, an Indiana Guard gun, I think this was brought up in an old post on the outlaw/gangster forum before. Could VERY well be. In one of the books, there is a guy out front with a Thompson and a C drum, guarding the jail. They even had a Browning MG and sand bags out front of the jail. Not sure what they were expecting from the Dillinger gang, WWII ?

Thanks, the 1933 Buick interior is all original, owned by the DuPonts originally. Car Dillinger ( type) used and drove to rob the Racine bank in 33, guy next to him ( Charles Makley ) had the 28 Navy Overstamp he just picked up at the robbery, # 3363.

That's a Spark advance on the dash, never use it, Choke yes, Spark no. Locking radio so people wouldn't, sneak in your car and listen to the ball game and run the battery down.

Extra: Dillinger Sr holding the wooden pistol his son used to break out of the Crown Point jail. #315 and the National Guard had already left by then, just the two Thompsons he borrowed.

OCM

DillingerSRLB.jpg