Does this mean that it is possible for an Individual to make an NFA firearm? This was copied from the ATF q&a section.

Q: How does an individual obtain authorization to make an NFA firearm?

Prior to making a firearm, the individual must submit ATF Form 1 (5320.1), Application to Make and Register a Firearm, to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch, and receive approval. The applicant must follow the procedures described in the question What are the required transfer procedures for an individual who is not qualified as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer of NFA firearms? concerning photographs, fingerprints and certifications. The applicant must forward the original and a duplicate of the form along with a check or money order for $200 made payable to the Bureau of ATF, National Firearms Act Branch, P.O. Box 530298, Atlanta, GA 30353-0298. If the application is approved, the original of the form with the cancelled stamp affixed showing approval will be returned to the applicant. If the application is denied, the tax will be refunded.

Applications to make a firearm will not be approved if Federal, State, or local law prohibits possession of the firearm.

[26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 479.61-65].

Yes, an individual can still make a NFA firearm. You can make a SBR, SBS, DD, AOW and or suppressors. But you can not make a MG. But f you can find a way, share how you did it.

Edited by timkel

That was the info I was going by when I started out to build that Sten kit. I filled out form1, got chief of police approval, prints and pics. Sent in to ATF with 200 dollar chk.I guess I can expect to get my chk bback with a No Go.....in the next year or two.

Or a VERY LOUD knock at the door... If you have already sent it in, I would consider calling the NFA Branch and telling them, you have since learned that you cannot make a Machinegun, and want to stop that package.

Hi Duce and welcome to the boards. You certainly found the right place to get some great information, just too bad you did not find the site before submitting your Form 1.

This is also from the ATF's top 12 FAQ section.

Generally, no. However, if documentation can be provided, along with the Application to Make a Machinegun, which establishes that the weapon is being made for distribution to a Federal or State agency, an individual may be permitted to make the machine gun.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o)(2), 27 CFR 479.105(e)]

I gather the NFA world is completely new to you by reading your other post about your Sten kit. I suggest either doing a ton of research, reading the ATF publications, and/or searching past posts on this site. If you can find a copy, the "Machine gun buyers guide and owners manual" by Frank Iannamico is a perfect place to start to learn all about this world and will help explain all the in's and out's of the various forms for registered firearms. You'll want to learn the difference between C&R and Transferable machine guns and, if you are a licences dealer, PreMay and Post Sample guns.

A registered tube is not something you are likely to find sitting on the table at your local gun show unless you have some pretty good gun shows in your area or frequent SAR West, Knob Creek or other shows that tailor NFA items. A transferable tube will run you $3k-$5K depending on the market, buyer and seller and you can probably find a completed tube gun for that as well. This is because the $200 parts kit does not add any value to the registered tube. Parts kits are very plentiful and registered tubes are not. Yes they are out there, but you will need to be prepared to file for a Form 4 transfer, wait forever for approval and then take delivery of your new tube to build your kit into a FA Sten. Without the registered tube, you only have $200 in parts or the potential to build an ATF approved semi auto conversion with 16+ inch barrel or file your Form 1 (assuming your state allows) and request approval for SBR classification.

Hope this helps out some.

- Ron

Thanks for the info Ron. I will look for the machine gun buyers guide. I should have done a little more research first. I don't think I will waist any more time on this project. Not really interested in a semi auto sten with a long barrel. I will keep my eyes open for an in expensive tube gun, and go the form 4 route.

• 3 weeks later...

Not meaning to hijack, but this brought up a question for me. If one were to build a semi auto Sten kit, would there be a reason it couldn't be made as a SBR if the tax stamp were paid and approved? I have no idea how that would work as it would be a home built weapon. Would it just go on the form like any other SBR form?

Correct - you can roll your own, no problem. Only thing to be concerned about is when you build a semi from MG parts will .gov consider it "different enough" from the MG? There is no requirement to get a classification from FTB, but some do. If you can buy a new built semi-auto receiver, so much the better. I'm having a senior moment, but I seem to recall a series of articles in SGN a couple years ago about building a semi-auto something or other from parts kit (STEN, Suomi, ??). Also can't recall if it was SBR or regular rifle.

There was a series or articles on build your own semi auto sten and suomi rifles. Both were made with 16" barrels, however could be made as SBRs upon approval. I have a Sten in the works but I need to make some repairs to my lathe before I can finish the project so I am not sure when I will get around to it. I never planned to SBR them thanks to Michigan, however that recently changed so I guess I could, if I wantt to.

Ron