M1 or M1A1

I recently was given a Thompson from my neighbor who's father had it since WWII. In doing some research I see that it's either an M1 or M1A1. What confuses me is that this gun has the pistol grip in front instead of the horizontal one, like in all the photos. Was this interchangeable? Could some M1's have that forward pistol grip?

Apache45,

Welcome to the forum.

In answer to your question, all M1/M1A1 guns made in WW2 would have had a horizontal foregrip, but a vertical pistol forend is interchangeable.

If its a WW2 gun, made by Savage or Auto-Ordnance In Bridgeport, it would say on the left side of the receiver either M1 or M1A1. That would be your first clue. Of course, if your gun is stamped West Hurley, New York on the right side of the receiver, then its a semi-auto, made post WW2, and none of what I said applies.

The only difference between a M1 and a M1A1 is the bolt. The M1 has a moveable firing pin and the M1A1 has a fixed firing pin machined into the front of the bolt.

Now if you were given a real WW2 M1 Thompson, registered with the ATF, and transferred to you on an ATF form 4,then you were given an $18,000 gift. Very lucky indeed.

If you were given a WW2 Thompson without such paperwork, then the gun would be considered contraband by the ATF. However, if you are really an Apache Indian, living on a reservation, then I'm not sure that federal law applies to your gun as long as it remains on the reservation.

Best of luck.

Jim C

Edited by jim c 351

And no I'm not an Apache Indian lol. That's just my user name since I own an apache powerboat...

Apache,

Its no laughing matter. Being an Indian is the one thing that could have kept you out of prison if caught with an unregistered machinegun.

Jim C

He edited it all away. Me thinks this is an unregistered contraband weapon. Lots of those out there...

You can have his estate administrator / or equal notify the NFA Branch to see if it is legal papered gun. If it is, it can be transfered to a heir on a Form 5,,you should use a local class III dealer to help

in this matter.

There is scuttlebut that another amensty period will someday happen. I suspect that it will be after our present dictator's reign .

-Darryl

It very well may be contraband. The smart thing for anyone to do would be to consult with an Attorney that specializes in firearms law. This gun could be registered but simply in the wrong hands. An Attorney may get it back to the lawful owner or most likely, estate, and a lawful transfer could be done in the future. At the very least an Attorney would provide all the options available to the current owner. Internet advice is never the best!

Good luck.

here's a pretty good write up on what to do with a "maybe legal" NFA gun

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/322347_So_you_found_an_MG_in_the_attic______.html

If an MG isn't registered with ATF, then it's good for a 10 year vacation in Club Fed.

They hand those kind of jail sentences out like they're giving away candy

Edited by buzz

The ones I've seen were dropped because of more serious charges. It's usually what they did with their illegal weapon that was more important to prosecutors.

I used to have access to a two seater Apache with a 30mm hanging under the nose. :) That model was considered somewhat high performance too.

Very nice.

I know another local guy with an Apache. Extremely nice boats for the high performance fan. I am just a run of the mill Cigarette guy. There are a few MG guys on offshoreonly as well. I'd wager there are more MG guys there than offshore guys here?

• Upvote 1

The ones I've seen were dropped because of more serious charges. It's usually what they did with their illegal weapon that was more important to prosecutors.

/

remember the guy who put a couple of full auto M16 parts in his AR lower and got the gun to sort of full-auto slam fire?

the ATF could hardly reproduce the slam fire condition and they still they gave him ten years in prison

Edited by buzz

That individual had more problems with ATF than just those full auto ARs. They took a dim view of him building ARs and selling them with out benefit of a FFL among other charges.

/

remember the guy who put a couple of full auto M16 parts in his AR lower and got the gun to sort of full-auto slam fire?

the ATF could hardly reproduce the slam fire condition and they still they gave him ten years in prison

That individual had more problems with ATF than just those full auto ARs. They took a dim view of him building ARs and selling them with out benefit of a FFL among other charges.

/

/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Olofson

Yeah he got 2 1/2 years, but it appears they were after him for more than just one unregistered machine gun. It would appear the federal government got what they could get.

I was always told get caught with an un-papered machine gun i.e. contraband and it’s ten years, ten long years. You could be a saint in every other way but do this thing and none can save you. No petition, no out on good behavior, first time offender have a heart judge. Nothing, game over. It would seem the gentleman in the story had an AR15, went online bought M16 parts for it to turn it into a fully automatic weapon, then lent it to someone as a prelude to purchase. He got caught and received two and a half years. Not that I want to see anyone punished beyond what they deserve, but what happened to the ten years? What am I missing on this? I understand pick the fight you can win so it would seem one unregistered weapon would be the most bang for the buck (sorry).

Ten years is the maximum plus the fine. I don't think that that will happen. Particularly if it's a first offense. There could be (and usually are) other crimes involved that would add to the sentence. The important thing is you WILL do time. Plus, the costs and what happens to your life are devastating.

Okay, so you will do time, that's the inevitable, but the length of time is still dependent on circumstances. That makes more sense than just ten years no discussion.