Reloading for a Model 50

bobt

I just got a model 50, taken it to the range once, light firing pin strikes. Disassembled and found broken firing pin. New titanium pin and spring kit has arrived.

What is a recommendation for hand loads? Cast lead? Plated? Berry's bullets has .452 diameter copper plated bullets their literature says will work with any 45, any experiences out there? Any other words of wisdom for a newbie? (also have a model 65, love it)

Thanks in advance,

Bob

bobt,

Welcome to the board! I have not fired reloads in my Model 50, so hopefully someone else will chime in. I remember someone saying they digest bullets other than FMJ pretty well.

Model 65's are addictive. I have a database of Reising .22 rifle serial numbers that I've kept for the past few years, which now has 143 entries. If you feel so inclined, please e-mail me your M65 serial information, and any other unique characteristics of the rifle, and I'll let you know if I can tell you anything more about it.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

bobt,

I use nothing but plated bullets in my M50 Reising.

Berry,-Rainier,- and Xtreme all make quality bullets.

I load with 5.5 gr Unique and a CCi primer, with the 230 gr RN.

These bullets do not foul the comp as happens with lead bullets.

In my M1 TSMG, without comp, I shoot cast lead all the time.

Jim C

FMJ will not damage your Thompson. The gun was designed to shoot FMJ. But FMJ ammo is harder than lead and plated bullets so it will cause more wear on the rifling.

Also FMJ has exposed lead at its base. The hot powder gases melt microscopic particles of lead that gradually build up in the comp. It can be difficult to remove.

Jim C

bobt,

I use the copper plated 230gr. round nosed bullet with 5.6 gr. 231 and they have worked very well. After seeing a very good you tube video where two young men blow the last two inches off of the end of the barrel on their Thompson, I always triple check the powder levels in the cases before I seat the bullets in the cases. The plated bullets were on sale for 12 cents a piece with free shipping. Couldn't pass it up.

Gandolf1

Mine runs like a top using Bayou Bullets 185 gr. LSWC in front of 4.5 gr. of Clays. I'm lucky I can run the same load in my 1911's and M50. Low smoke, soft shooting, and goes bang every time. Like Gandolf1, I watch the powder level like a hawk prior to the bullet.

Jim

• 7 years later...

Mine runs like a top using Bayou Bullets 185 gr. LSWC in front of 4.5 gr. of Clays. I'm lucky I can run the same load in my 1911's and M50. Low smoke, soft shooting, and goes bang every time. Like Gandolf1, I watch the powder level like a hawk prior to the bullet.

Jim

Jim, I was very skeptical of this load (low weight bullet, not ball, shotgun powder, are you kidding me?!?!?) hahaha. I tried it with polymer coated SWC and it is the "secret sauce" for the Reising! Best ammo ever for that gun! It even ran in a mag that didn't work before! Gonna try it in my drum next. It also ran perfectly in my M3 gg and Mac10! You turned me into a believer. Kyle

I just got a model 50, taken it to the range once, light firing pin strikes. Disassembled and found broken firing pin. New titanium pin and spring kit has arrived.

What is a recommendation for hand loads? Cast lead? Plated? Berry's bullets has .452 diameter copper plated bullets their literature says will work with any 45, any experiences out there? Any other words of wisdom for a newbie? (also have a model 65, love it)

Thanks in advance,

Bob

I sent you a pm