Do you shoot your Colt Thompson?

What do y'all run for internals?
Do you run the original Colt parts? Or do you run 1928 parts?
Or do you use modified parts from PK or others?

Edited by cubguy

I run Savage in the Navy, PK stuff in the 21s. Mostly don't anymore- A squib may stop that any way.

Yes. With PK 21 kit in it. Flawless, fast, and save the horsey stuff for show.

Back when I had an Overstamp I did. It had a Savage bolt at the time, but everything else was authentic (I did put a complete Colt bolt in the gun before I sold it - bought the complete bolt from the late Gordon H. at a very reasonable price - he was a Prince). Of course, I only shot American, factory ammo. 230 grain, ball, FMJ or TMJ. The TMJ kept compensator fouling down.

I run a Doug Richardson barrel (PK makes them as well) so I don't have to worry about the squibs. Used Doug's tools to remove the original and install.

Then for the rest, a 21 Actuator works fine for me, mine happens to be an excellent reproduction from scratch with Colt style checkering and it is still running after 12 years and many C drum dumps later. Current option is to have PK convert a 1928 actuators into1921 style.

Add in a PK 21/28 Hybrid pilot buffer and a S marked in the white bolt (looks like a Colt many say "nickel" finish) and I am happy.

I absolutely do. I took out all the original internals from my 1928 Navy overstamp and replaced them with a variety of parts some Savage some, I'm sure, WWII Russian surplus. All the original parts are bagged up including the wood and the barrel. I have a very nice set of wood on the gun from Dan

Block. I use a Doug Richardson barrel and an ejector from Gordon H. I sometimes shoot the gun as a 1921 using Doug Richardson's actuator and spring.

For the .45 I use Speer Lawman 230 grainers ( I got a real good deal on them) and for a lighter workout I use Merle Bitikofer's .22 conversion with CCI AR style .22LR ammo. They have a very round nose designed to cycle in the .22 conversions for the AR 15 and my gun feeds them perfectly.

First time I ran my 21AC the actuator knob flew off... :angry2:...so now I run PK internals for the last 15 yrs....still have the broken actuator that was rigged when I took possession as a reminder...`buyer beware`...lent it to `Man,Moment,Machine` productions for their SVDM program...can`t forget when host Hunter Ellis slide my C drum right thru the frame and dropped it to the ground!.. :o..everyone turned to me in an instant to see my reaction.. :wacko:...it fell in soft sand so no harm ,no foul...Martin K.A. Morgan was assisting that day and we had a great time enjoying the 21 so I`m firmly in the `shoot your 21` camp..

There are two main issues you have to look at when shooting an original Colt.

1. The most important thing to consider is the original barrel. If you bulge it, you have greatly devalued your investment. Notwithstanding the time to find one, it will be costly to purchase an original replacement barrel - and your Colt will never be original again.

2. The next issue involves the finish. If your Colt is a pristine example with a high percentage of finish, all handling and firing will likely lower the overall condition - and value. If your Colt is a normal used police type gun that has seen some to plenty of use in the past, then this is not as big of concern as long as you are careful.

Aside from the barrel, all the other parts are really drop in or bolt on. Breaking an original actuator or wearing out a sear only involves money as these parts can be found and easily installed. The ejector is more problematic but this is a part that is not prone to breakage. That said, it is always wise to replace all the original Colt parts.

The one I bought is fairly high finish. I plan on using 28 and PK parts. Would it be crazy to remove the barrel and replace it with a PK barrel? Could it be put back on and still have the witness marks line up?

A 28N original Colt riveted actuator can be a bit of a trick to find.

No, it would not be crazy to remove an original barrel from a Colt Thompson prior to shooting it. However, one must know how to remove the barrel and have the proper tools to perform the operation. Without the knowledge or the tools, this is best left to someone who knows what they are doing. Remember, it is just not removing the barrel. You must also install another barrel and properly align the ring sight or compensator.

Yes, you can remove a barrel from a Colt and re-install it later and the index marks will align. However, I would not want to do this numerous times each year.

Colt Thompsons are now a 20K plus weapon. With all original parts, good wood and a decent finish, 35K plus is the norm. Treat it as such. Incomplete Colts (especially without the original barrel), mismatched or refinished Colts are more of a shooter grade Thompson.

I would think the chances of bulging a barrel with factory USA brand name ammunition if only fired every now and then would be remote. The (financial) risk is yours to take.

my understanding is that a threaded part which has been tightened by the turn of the wrench method will not be at the same torque when loosened and retightened

maybe reconbob can comment

Edited by buzz

No, it would not be crazy to remove an original barrel from a Colt Thompson prior to shooting it. However, one must know how to remove the barrel and have the proper tools to perform the operation. Without the knowledge or the tools, this is best left to someone who knows what they are doing. Remember, it is just not removing the barrel. You must also install another barrel and properly align the ring sight or compensator.

Yes, you can remove a barrel from a Colt and re-install it later and the index marks will align. However, I would not want to do this numerous times each year.

Colt Thompsons are now a 20K plus weapon. With all original parts, good wood and a decent finish, 35K plus is the norm. Treat it as such. Incomplete Colts (especially without the original barrel), mismatched or refinished Colts are more of a shooter grade Thompson.

I would think the chances of bulging a barrel with factory USA brand name ammunition if only fired every now and then would be remote. The (financial) risk is yours to take.

Thanks TD!

I will think about changing the barrel, but will listen to input from the members.

Also, I'm only going to run factory ammo in it. Anybody have ideas on what brands run best?

I may get to go visit and shoot my 21 next weekend.

Do you have pictures of your gun, maybe I missed it here ?

Gijive, who is kinda my mentor on Thompsons , told me once, that running probably 300-600 rds/year, thru a Colt Thompson is probably not an issue.

But you never know what might happen.

I really don't think I'd start stripping the gun down to shoot it, do the PK conversion and have " some " fun.

It's a bit of an issue where I live to just go out and shoot, like the old days, but I think we are going out to the Sheriff range to waste a bunch of brass on Monday, weather permitting. Got three bullet proof vests and two cars to aim at. Nice having a retired Sheriff as your pal.

OCM

Here are some pictures, it's from Nov. 1921 according to the book.

Extra cool for me since my birthday is in November!

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

Outstanding- One of the SL guns.

Yes, factory ammo, I use Winchester .

Don't screw with taking the barrel off

Order a PK conversion

Find Clenzoil

See if you can get a brass rod and kit from Gordon's estate

Get a nice towel to get the shit-eating grin off your face ..........

tick-tock

OCM

very nice gun. I'm curious. Does the actuator slot have the square end?

Bob D

Hi All,

Yes I shoot my 21A. Not a high finish gun so it gets a few bursts every so often, carefully, and not shot by strangers. Funny thing. I bought it because I didn't want to clean a compensator.

Grasshopper

I would think that most Thompson owners that own Colt guns also own other Thompsons as well.

Why modify an original Colt when you get your fix with a Hurley and or a GI gun?

I also went the route of swapping out internals and such and soon realized that if I kicked the bucket, these

modified Colts would be lost to history and the original Colt parts would end up on a flea market table somewhere.

I went as soon as I could and installed the original parts back in the original Colts. I sleep a little

better knowing that they're back together now. All it took for me was a little health scare to see what could happen.

Just my 2 cents,

Darryl

cubguy,

A very nice Colt. And a very nice package. Thanks for sharing pictures. I understand your concern.

darrylta has the best answer. Buy a shooter grade WWII or West Hurley Thompson that you cannot hurt. I know - it is easy for me to spend your money.

If you have to shoot it, use brand name factory ammunition. I agree with OCM about Winchester ammunition. I really like the white box 230 grain ball ammo. I would think the chances of a squib with that ammunition is remote but I would not shoot thousands of rounds through it on a yearly basis. Of course, replace the internals with GI parts or a PK 21 hybrid buffer pilot kit with a reproduction or cut down 28 actuator (if 21 style). I would probably use a complete GI frame if it fits okay. Don't force anything. I would also use a GI buttstock.

I would guess most Colt owners do not replace the barrel because they do not shoot their Colt's very often and are very careful when they do. darrylta and OCM are great members to speak with about this issue. Me, I will dump a C drum in my PK'd West Hurley without a thought :D

very nice gun. I'm curious. Does the actuator slot have the square end?

Bob D

I don't know about that, if I get to go shoot it next weekend I'll check.

What's the significance of that?

Edited by cubguy