Unissued M1928A1 in NZ

Hi everyone,

I've been reading posts here for a little while now and thought it time I contribute.

My Thompson came to me in New Zealand from the Ukraine via England.

It is unissued and appears unfired.

I got it with a 50 rnd drum mag and 2x20 rnd stick mags.

I hope the photos are OK.

Any info on production year etc most appreciated, books seem quite hard to find here so will have to buy off E-bay I think.

Thanks, Steve

post-259958-0-26829100-1432114821_thumb.jpg post-259958-0-16649800-1432114837_thumb.jpg post-259958-0-61374400-1432114855_thumb.jpg post-259958-0-73122500-1432114870_thumb.jpg post-259958-0-14807100-1432114892_thumb.jpg post-259958-0-57163700-1432114914_thumb.jpg

steve1973,

Wecome to the Board. A beautiful very late Savage 1928A1. I assume the frame has a matching serial number. The serial number indicates this Thompson was manufactured very late in the production run. Serial numbers in the 550,000 range is the highest I have seen for a Savage Thompson. I study the early Savage Thompson's so others on the Board may have additional information about the late manufactured ones.

Frank Iannamico will cover this gun extensively in his new, American Thunder III. I am sure you will hear about the release of this book on the Board - maybe by the end of the year.

Thank you for posting!!!

That is sweet!!!

TD- You said "Late Production", yet is does not have the reinforcing screw on the butt stock? This is apparently a lend lease since it came from the Ukraine. Would you explain, please? I have noticed that a lot of the Russian, Thompsons do not have this screw. Was it a cost saving measure?

The Model of 1928 and Model of 1928A1 Thompson guns were not originally equipped with a stock crossbolt as part of the butt stock. This modification came about after production of the 1928 had ceased. The modification had nothing to do with cost savings. It was designed to strengthen the butt stock.

Thanks for the comments.

This gun is full auto and all numbers match.

I believe guns being sold in England need to be deactivated but not those being sold to other countries.

Here in New Zealand we can own full auto but can't shoot them. VERY frustrating.

Steve

Hi mgvince,

You are right , they don't go for the money you pay over there.

I payed NZ$3200. So about US$1600 I think.

Actually that should be US$2300.

Cheers, Steve

Edited by steve1973

There is a delema, would you rather be able to buy one for $23,000 and be allowed to shoot it, or pay $2300 and not be permitted to shoot it?

It would be like marrying a super model and taking a vow of celibacy.

What would the penilty be if you were to shoot it?

By the way it's what dreams are made of...

Edited by Gunner 1928

The penalty for being "caught" would be loss of firearms licence and all weapons.

With the amount of farm land we have here I'm sure it happens. :ph34r:

An uncle of mine was there in WW II with the 2nd Marine Division. He always said he New Zealanders were a good bunch.

LSU- keep up the complements, maybe Steve will buy us both one and ship it to as machine parts, wink- wink.

A couple of New Zealanders came over to buy a motorcycle I had for sale, back in the 80's ( strange, the could buy in the US and ship it home cheaper then buying one there) Really nice people. tHEY COULD NOT GET OVER LOS ANGELES HAVING MORE PEOPLE THEN THEIR COUNTRY.

Thanks for the comments.

I believe guns being sold in England need to be deactivated but not those being sold to other countries.

Here in New Zealand we can own full auto but can't shoot them. VERY frustrating.

Steve

That is kind of like having a playboy bunny as a girlfriend but being unable to have relations with her.

Mike Hammer

Thanks for the comments.

Steve

Like..... can't shoot them at all? Nothing? Nowhere?...or... Just have only restricted places you can shoot.

Thanks for all the kind words, NZ is a beautiful country and probably smaller than a lot of cities in the US. Our largest city is Auckland with just over 1 million and a total population of about 4.5 million.

Can't shoot them at all anywhere. But like I said, it does happen.

If I took mine to an Army range I think I would get away with it.

Steve