"Chesty" Puller Nicaragua National Guard 1931 Thompson Photo

My Son earned his Eagle, Globe, & Anchor today & The Title United States Marine at MCRD San Diego

So, I wanted to post a photograph of an Iconic Marine, Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller the only Marine to earn 5 Navy Crosses, early in his career.
Semper-Fi

Caption: "US Marines Lewis Puller and William Lee with Nicaraguan National Guard Detachment members Carlos Gutierrez and Carmen Torrez, Nicaragua, circa 1931"

Here is a second 1931 Photograph of Chesty Puller taken in Nicaragua.....with the empty boots again, does anyone get the symbolism (If any) of this?

Chesty Puller 1931.jpg

Chesty Puller 1931 Nicaragua.jpg

Edited by azboater

My Son earned his Eagle, Globe, & Anchor today & The Title United States Marine at MCRD San Diego

So I wanted to post a photograph of an Iconic Marine, Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller the only Marine to earn 5 Navy Crosses, early in his career.

Semper-Fi

Caption: "US Marines Lewis Puller and William Lee with Nicaraguan National Guard Detachment members Carlos Gutierrez and Carmen Torrez, Nicaragua, circa 1931"

Notice the boots in front of Lee.

Congratulations to your son- he has become a member of a proud brotherhood.

As an side, Chesty was pretty good with a Thompson.

He once put down a Nicaraguan riot single handed just by demonstrationing what a Thompson could do.

Semper Fi

DD

• Upvote 1

Congrats to both of you.

Hope you make time to visit the MCRD Marine Command Museum there across from the parade grounds while you are in San Diego, it's incredible.

Wii do, Motorcar, & Thanks!

Congratulations to your son- he has become a member of a proud brotherhood.

As an side, Chesty was pretty good with a Thompson.

He once put down a Nicaraguan riot single handed just by demonstrationing what a Thompson could do.

Semper Fi

DD

Devil Dog, Great trivia on Chesty, a True American BadA**!

Congratulations, Know you are proud of your Son! Another Devil dog reporting! Love the photo of Chesty and Col Bill Lee. Got to know Col Bill Lee the 'Iron Man" as Chesty called him. Named my daughter after Bill Lee. Her name is Megan Lee. Had she been a son, "he" would have been "William Lee".

I have a photo of him holding her when she was very tiny, but I am not smart enough to transfer it into a photo. Only have it in a pdf file. If someone is smart enough to convert it, do so.

FWIW, Chesty's home in Saluda VA is up for sale right now. Wish i could buy it and turn it into a bed and breakfast. Would be a great "retirement" job.

If you and your son (or any other forum members) are ever in the Quantico to Norfolk VA area PM me and I'll try to take you on a tour.

If your son is ever stationed out this way, let me know and I will be glad to host him on occassion.

Semper Fi

Sandman1957

Col WA Lee Megan.pdf

Megan and Col William Lee.

In case anyone has any confusion, "Chesty" is the one with the pipe in his mouth! LOL. Congrats on having a Marine in the family. I am sure you are very proud. (BTW, to see what boot camp was like -- in a very "sanitized" version -- try to find a dvd of "The D.I." starring Jack Webb. The barracks scenes in that movie were very accurate (though filmed at MCRD San Diego) and reflected the interior of the 2d RTB barracks at MCRD-PISC when I was there. (Those were the old H-shaped wooden firetraps: my platoon was on the second deck and we were told that if a fire would break out, probably none of us would survive.) That was about five years after Ribbon Creek, btw. Semper fi!

Congratulations, Know you are proud of your Son! Another Devil dog reporting! Love the photo of Chesty and Col Bill Lee. Got to know Col Bill Lee the 'Iron Man" as Chesty called him. Named my daughter after Bill Lee. Her name is Megan Lee. Had she been a son, "he" would have been "William Lee".

I have a photo of him holding her when she was very tiny, but I am not smart enough to transfer it into a photo. Only have it in a pdf file. If someone is smart enough to convert it, do so.

FWIW, Chesty's home in Saluda VA is up for sale right now. Wish i could buy it and turn it into a bed and breakfast. Would be a great "retirement" job.

If you and your son (or any other forum members) are ever in the Quantico to Norfolk VA area PM me and I'll try to take you on a tour.

If your son is ever stationed out this way, let me know and I will be glad to host him on occassion.

Semper Fi

Sandman1957

attachicon.gifCol WA Lee Megan.pdf

Megan and Col William Lee.

Sandman,

What an awesome story about Col. Lee and your Daughter,

Pm me your email I would be glad to send the photos so you have the JPG's,

Please Accept this collage as my gift to you, & Thanks again for your support for my son

Semper Fi, Thanks For Your Service

Nick

Col Lee 1931 and Now With Megan Lee.jpg

This is great stuff. A Proud Papa beyond words, all the well deserved responses plus added comments, stories, invites, etc. i add my congrats and thanks to the others here.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for all your support, & Congratulations, what a great group of guys on here!

Nick

Edited by azboater

In case anyone has any confusion, "Chesty" is the one with the pipe in his mouth! LOL. Congrats on having a Marine in the family. I am sure you are very proud. (BTW, to see what boot camp was like -- in a very "sanitized" version -- try to find a dvd of "The D.I." starring Jack Webb. The barracks scenes in that movie were very accurate (though filmed at MCRD San Diego) and reflected the interior of the 2d RTB barracks at MCRD-PISC when I was there. (Those were the old H-shaped wooden firetraps: my platoon was on the second deck and we were told that if a fire would break out, probably none of us would survive.) That was about five years after Ribbon Creek, btw. Semper fi!

gun historian,

Love Jack Webb & love your story about your Barracks ( glad you survived!)

Thanks for the Support, & Congratulations it Is appreciated!

Semper-FI

& Thank You for your Service

Nick

Edited by azboater

Congratulations as well ! Did anyone have an answer about the empty boots in the photos ?

Appreciate the Congrats!

No one has put forth a guess on the boots yet...

We're the boots left behind by rebels when Chesty and his troops attacked their village?

If so I think this was when they killed the rebel leader- can't remember his name- when he ran into their blocking position.

Devil Dog, you are probably thinking of Augusto César Sandino, but he was assassinated by a Detachment of National Guard Troops in 1934, not 1931 when this picture was taken

But on that Note the U.S. Marines did capture his Flag!

Semper FI

US Marines holding Sandino's Flag Nicaragua 1932.jpg

Edited by azboater

AZBOATER,

Thanks for the fantastic JPGs. Col Lee passed on in 1998. A legend in all regards. Megan is quite good with the Thompson. I'm sure her namesake is proud.

Semper Fi

Sandman1957

AZBOATER,

Thanks for the fantastic JPGs. Col Lee passed on in 1998. A legend in all regards. Megan is quite good with the Thompson. I'm sure her namesake is proud.

Semper Fi

Sandman1957

Sandman,

It was my Honor to do the photos, how Blessed you were to know such an American Hero like Col Lee, I do hope to shake your Hand some Day!

Semper-Fi

Nick