Another 'What would you do?"

huggytree

bid $14,000 as max bid on a NIB UZI from Frank (midwest tactical)

lost to someone for $14,028

some guy bid like 8x's to win the gun....now he bought too many guns and cant afford the Uzi he won

w/o this other bidder the gun would have went for $11,400

ive been offered the gun now......i said ok...$11,400

waiting for a response...

i regretted my bid of $14k, so im thrilled to get out of it.....only seems fair to pay the price i would have paid with out this other bidder

agree? or should i meet him 1/2 way

I don't like when people play games on auctions. That other bidder might have been a friend of the guy that consigned it to Frank. I'd be firm at $11,400 and probably be pretty insistant that I get it at that price. I would consider anyone that resisted selling at that price as potentially complicit in shill bidding.
  • Upvote 1

i mentioned this issue on uzi talk and they said Frank may have issues with stuff like this....he claimed to be a victim and kept track of his auctions and saw a common bidder at the end to drive up prices......not saying i know this is happening, but it just seems odd....at the last minute a guy drives the price from 11,400 to 14,028 on 7-8 bids all in a row with a couple of mins between........then he cant pay and i get the emails 15 hours later saying i can have the gun....then when i say ok---$11,400....then they say----ill ask Frank and then no response

ive got my eye on a AC 556F in SS.......about the same $$.....torn between (2) uzi's and getting another FA in .223 to play with........kinda stupid to buy a gun to let it sit hoping for a potential return....vs having 2 guns to shoot and enjoy........ill let Frank make my decision for me....if i dont hear back by monday im bidding on the Ac556

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=513431084

talked with this guy...sounds like its only been fired 100 rounds....hard to scratch up SS.......he said they want $11,000....which is a fair price according to the charts....i like $10,000-10,500 better....and thats probably where i will be at.........i can get a blued one right now on GB buy it now for $9,600 which looks in similar shape....rather have the flash of SS.....

should be $11,400, several years ago I bid at a auction on the radio, final price was 12,500, I was one of 2 bidders that were left, a couple days after I got a call the winning bidder could not pay and I could have the item for 5,600, in this case being a charity I met them half way between

Agreed with the 11.4. the auction ended. the other guy refused to pay. this, as far as i am concerned, is now a private sale, subject to negotiations. if 11.4 won't do it, walk away. i think you are being more than fair.

My affinity for the TV show A-Team aside, I'd rather have the UZI than the ac556. Of course I could see myself buying both. We seem to have similar tastes.

i probably would take the gun for $11,400.....and its what i offered him

while im waiting im finding more options.....found a FNC mint.....seeing accuracy and barrel issues with the Ruger ac556........but not sure if having the whole value of a FNC in its sear is a good investment either......i may make a offer on the FNC.....already made an offer on the Ruger ac556 and it was agreed upon by 1 of the 2 sellers(now im reconsidering it was too high of an offer on my part---and it sounds like the other 1/2 of the selling party may not think its high enough)

doing research on FNC's.....wish i could afford a M16....but then again i already have a semi m4......i like to shoot different guns....then again w/ the FNC i already have a DS arms FAL semi.....

Hoping Frank calls monday morn to accept on the Uzi

everyone describes their guns as excellent.........w/o seeing it in my hands and only select photo's from the seller it sure is hard to evaluate what your getting for your money...

Edited by huggytree

got the response i thought i would....cant sell it for that low.....i complained a bit about it......either they shill bid or someone else F'd up bidding.....and im the one that lost the gun for the price it should have been....told them i wont be bidding on their next auction.....wont bid on any more of their stuff........because of the 9 bids in 2 minutes and then turning the gun down and contacting me about it all in less than 15 hours i feel its all BS....shill bidding? most likely

You should complain to Gunbroker. Tell them what you have poster here and what their response was. Filling a complaint with gunbroker probable won't get you the gun but might help the next person buying from this jerk.

Frank

i will.....it could all be a truthful thing.....and they dont have to sell it to me since i didnt win the auction....ethically they should sell me the gun....i run a business too and i try to be ethical 100% of the time...i dont always succeed, but im pretty damn close......if it were my business i would feel ethically that since the final bidder is not void the gun should go to the runner up.........i told them i wont be bidding on their auctions again....word gets around....

Frank shill bidding.......say it ain't so! You met reserve, were outbid and then he wouldn't sell it for a price you bid above reserve? I will say you are fast tracking the NFA learning curve but the lessons are usually fairly expensive. Slow down, take a ride to fon du lac and see what's available. I may have an FNC to move and an HK sear in WI if you are interested.

Now that you passed on this sale you may want to search the forums for past dealings with this seller. I have no dealings with him so cannot offer any advice but others have and have posted their experience.

Info is here, but it takes time to read it. Earlier you were proud of your bid, but your time changed as the auction ending neared. Seems you have several guns you want but not sure which ones to jump on.

Take a deep breath search some old posts and shore up on the NFA world. There is a ton of guidance available here. I would dare say this forum is one of the most civil (most of the time) and best forums for NFA advice. Don't worry, gun prices aren't going up overnight and there are good buys out there. Don't take just one persons advice check with several dealers and see if you can have references.

We have several people find this board after its too late and they learn how expensive the mistake was.

"What would I do?" Heed the advice given, slow down, and plan your next attack armed with further knowledge.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ron

Edited by ron_brock

thanks for all the advice....you are correct that i thought my bid of $14k was a good one, but have learned that $14k is a good deal for the seller of an UZI and only a blah deal for the buyer....i am jumping around with 3 different .223's right now

i have 1 to bid on tonight AC556 SS F....no one is bidding(on any AC556 unless its $8000)..and i think i know the reserve....so i have 1 more chance

found a real nice FNC....asking $14k....offered $12,000.....wont even give me a counter offer....yet i showed him how they are selling for $10,900-$12,900.....and not $14,000........he wont budge...and i wont pay $14,000

hard to find a Colt AR M614.......its a hard gun to find, but the price is right to get into the M16 world....found one in great condition for $18,500...but he claims to have sold it to a friend.....yet he friend isnt paying him.....tried to use some magic on him telling him i will have a check to your local gun dealer tomorrow for the same amount.....3 days---no call back from him.......

i am willing to pay $$ extra for a closet queen.....and thats what i want....as far as slowing down.....i wont have a choice..it takes time for the right guns to show up....sure if i want to buy one from Ruben for +$2500 extra they are sitting right there....but for fair deal on both sides it appears rare

i did report Midwest Tactical to GB for Shill bidding...response is they dont see evidence of it....which is the answer i knew i would get....but had to try....i will no longer bid on his weapons which seems to be about 20% of gun broker machine guns

Frank shill bidding.......say it ain't so! You met reserve, were outbid and then he wouldn't sell it for a price you bid above reserve? I will say you are fast tracking the NFA learning curve but the lessons are usually fairly expensive. Slow down, take a ride to fon du lac and see what's available. I may have an FNC to move and an HK sear in WI if you are interested.

im always interested in the fnc...let me know what you have....the HK is too rich for my blood...