David Spiwak has a Colt BAR for $35k and appears to be all original....im intrigued a bit......i am searching for a WW2 thompson right now and then this came up and it just interests me...the originality of it i find amazing........not sure where youd shoot such a gun...dont think an indoor range would even allow it and if they did it wouldnt work well......ammo costs would be crazy

not sure if there would be any control while standing and shooting this...id think it would be a bench weapon

anyone own one? for future investment would it be a good one? ...i can see people wanting to try this gun out all day..id love to.....but i cant see people wanting to own such a powerful FA..........id have to check length...it may not even fit in a normal safe it may be so long

http://www.davidspiwak.com/guns/new-colt-bar/

here's a video which makes it seem very controllable

Edited by huggytree

It would be nice to see some close up photos and a serial number.

The OP's "appears to be all original" could be problematic.

Yes, the early BARs were engraved Machine Rifle. At what point

the engravings changed is a good question. One for books I guess.

I own Colt #19499 and it's marked BMR with a humpback butt stock.

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

I have a Winchester 1918 that's marked browning automatic rifle just over 100k serial. Original, not A2 upgraded, so no bipod. Not an entry level gun, heavy, slow, and boring to shoot. Are they investment grade.....prices haven't moved much in 8-10 years since I bought this one? Sort of like Colt thompsons. If you're looking for investments think about MAC's and other guns at the bottom of the price spectrum, that's where the upside is going to be, not in fairly common high priced items where there are few individual buyers like Berkshire Hathaway stock.

The one at SAR was a Winchester if I recall, asking 25K, on the table Thursday, gone Friday? That seemed a pretty fair price for what it was IMO. The Spiwak pictures leave a lot to be desired.

They don't cost that much to shoot really, a lot depends on your supply, how itchy your finger is, and how much you want to hammer on a 100 year old 30K gun? Don't know what CMP ammo is these days, but I put a skid in the truck at .30 a round a few years back before the first panic. I've shot it at McMiller the first time, it's been to the creek once for an obligatory mag dump by Jim Ballou (shame that's not going to happen again) other than that it's a safe queen really. Lots more interesting stuff to shoot like Johnson's, tricked out M14's, M60'S, lewis guns, HK's, MG34's, MG42's, etc. It's all in what you're into though. .

the winchester BAR at the SAR show was a wincester receiver only. every other part of the gun, including trigger group, barrel and stock were WWII parts. in fact the barrel had a 44 date . the receiver also had an ordinance wheel proof stamp.

DSCN1799.JPGDSCN1802.JPGMine is a Marlin-Rockwell receiver. It went through the A2 upgrade during WWII. Interestingly, it still fires single or FA vice the fast and slow full auto rate. I haven't shot it very much, but it is fun to shoot. We live out on a few hundred acres and are fortunate to be able to shoot at home. We pushed up a berm with a dozer and made a small shooting range.

David Spiwak has a Colt BAR for $35k and appears to be all original....im intrigued a bit......i am searching for a WW2 thompson right now and then this came up and it just interests me...the originality of it i find amazing........not sure where youd shoot such a gun...dont think an indoor range would even allow it and if they did it wouldnt work well......ammo costs would be crazy

It has no serial number on the top of the receiver

the barrel is dated 2-19 and has has the ordnance stamp. that would make this a military gun as opposed to a commercial model. is that correct?

I have asked David for more info (inclding serial number) and will let you know what I find out.

av8tr,

That's a great looking A2, I also have a MR receiver on a R75 parts kit. Kinda the best of both worlds.

Normal1959,

Now that's a very nice early Colt BMR. Every thing looks correct from what I can see. Have you stripped it

yet and checked the internals? Do you have any FOIA info on it?

Both super nice BARs, I need to dig mine out of the safe and air them out, you got me in the mood:-)

Darryl

I have a Ermco 1918A2. It is one of my all time favorite guns to shoot. I have never taken it to an indoor range. But any outdoor range that allows full auto fire should not have a problem with it. I have not priced them lately, but I have had good experiences with Mr. Spiwak. I would be hard pressed to choose between a BAR and a Thompson. I love them both.

• 4 months later...

Great video deerslayer.

The BAR is very controllable from the shoulder and rock steady off the bipod. I sold my first 1918A2 and immediately regretted it. The semi auto version which I still own, just wasn't the same. After a little searching, I was able to purchase another 1918A2 and my heirs will have to decide what to do with it because I'm not letting this one go.