Miller's Crossing

Here's the Breakdown, per IMDB:

In the scene where Leo uses the Thompson sub-machine gun he should have had to reload at least 11 times. Assuming the gun is a 1928 model the rate of fire is 700 rounds per minute and has a 50 round can of ammunition. The gangster walks into the bedroom and fires for 5 seconds for a total of 58 shots fired, Leo takes his gun and fires at the window for 20 seconds for 233 shots fired, then Leo fires at the car for about 20 more seconds for another 233 shots fired. That is a total of 524 shots fired from one Thompson with no reload.

Edited by azboater
  • Upvote 2

Great scene though, if ludicrous in scope.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x85tes_miller-s-crossing-le-roi-de-la-thom_travel

Also did everyone notice how fast the 1st story of the house is totally engulfed in flames from a cigarette sparking a newspaper less than a minute ago?

Edited by Dolphinvet

When we discussed this movie here some years ago, the magazine was dubbed "The M Drum".

I think Road to Perdition came closer to L drum round count. However the Thompson assembly scene was way strange if you folks recall. Been discussed here.

Cheers---->

I know it was a prop gun, but who else cringed when the Thompson fell off the roof!

I sure did! Reminds me of seeing a pic of Vic Morrow in a foxhole with one the Thompsons he used. Looked pretty scratched up. He used #8245 and #4090, I think that's the right number on the 2nd one. That one had the crossbolt stock. I believe our very own Respected Member colt21a saw one of them at J. Curtis Earl's place and said it was beat up.

Edited by Ron Mills