British Home Guard Thompson Chest on eBay today

Anyone interested in a quality reproduction transit chest should look at this. I don't have the auction number but just type "British Home Guard Thompson Chest" in the search function and it will come right up. I have one and can recommend it without reservation. Who ever gets it won't be disappointed. These are made in Canada.

Edited by canuck

I thought initially it was a Dan Block case as well initially but the nail heads visible securing what appears to be felt around the case typically are not present in a Dan Block reproduction Home Guard case. The felt seal around the case is similar to Bren gun transit cases.

Nice looking case.

Edited by Bridgeport28A1

Thanks for the kind words on the chest, and yes, it is one of mine.

I made a few and just want to recoup a bit of the outlay.

I sourced the original hinges in the UK and the shipping on them was horrendous.

Original hardware was used where possible and also all slot head screws were used in the construction, which are now special order.

Also, a minimum of three coats of paint

The only difference on the first chest design is the carry handle. I now have the larger handle and will do a few of those shortly.

All the wood is planed to the original factory blueprint dimension.

I had a huge pile of the originals but that was a LONG time ago and all were beat up rather badly. The best of the lot which I kept is now pictured in a book with the new owner.

It was a lot of fun making the chests and I originally did a run of No.15 Lee Enfield No.4(T) sniper rifle chests to keep me off the streets and the Legion.

Gotta keep us old guys off the street somehow.

I'm going to design a chest for the M1A1 as more of a range case in the near future, much like I did for a chap with a Lewis gun chest.

I did this one for a chap a some time ago as you have to remove both the bipod and carry handle on a Lewis to put them into the original chest and he did not relish bending and re-bending 100 year old parts.

Pic attached..I hope

I have one chest on Ebay (shameless plug) and one more here and that is it for now.

post-260253-0-51647900-1454641611_thumb.jpg

Edited by warren

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested here are some detailed pictures of the case I bought from Warren. A few years ago when Dan (Deerslayer) was making some I ordered one of his. While Dan was making them I purchased another Thompson and it came with an original chest. I decided it wouldn't hurt to still get Dans reproduction. Last year when Warren made his I didn't think it would hurt to have one of those either. Attached picture of the three shows Dan, original and Warrens. Both reproductions are within 1/8 of an inch of the original in overall size. All interior pictures are of Warrens item for those of you who may have an interest.

IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1247.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG

• Upvote 1

Warren and/or Deerslayer;

I wonder if either of you would be interested in building some modern, generic storage/transport/display boxes with customizable interiors. When I say modern, I mean not designed to resemble a specific historic box, and using readily available inexpensive hardware, maybe biscuit joint corners instead of dove tail joints, etc, in order to keep the cost down. Something like what I describe in this thraed:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18983

I was considering building some for myself, but would have no interest in building them to sell. Also, knowing me, it will be years before I get around to actually completing a project like this :)

Cheers

TEG

I'm starting on a chest for the M1 and M1A1 this week.

No issue chest exists for the single M1 and m1A1 so it is a home grown design.

However will be using dovetail joinery and original hardware for the first couple as they are spoken for.

Depending on the magazine stowage, which is still in limbo, it should be a bit simpler to construct than the 28 series chest.