What do you guys think of this matching #'s M1?

Meehhhhhhhhhh.....

Maybe you could do little better for $24k. See if the seller will bargain a little.

I would rather have a minty USGI rebuild than that gun.

I think this is a good time to buy a M1 or M1A1. I believe they are undervalued.

I think in the future a lot of guys are going to be kicking themselves for letting all these M1s and M1A1s slip through their fingers.

Just two years ago they were selling for west hurley prices and now they're already well into the USGI 1928A1 range.

Someday collectors are going to stop thinking of them as a cheapo version and start looking at them for what they are: an incredible WWII collectible, with excellent build quality and a bona-fide product improvement over the 28.

Nobody in WWII said, "Drat, I wish this M1A1 had a delicate, useless ladder sight instead of this foolproof peep sight and a blish lock instead of this slightly heavier bolt."

All it's going to take is for American Rifleman to do a feature article on the M1 models or a popular movie to use the gun as the centerpiece and you'll see the prices jump another $5k

Edited by buzz

Although the originality and patina of this M1 really appeals to me, the gun I actually own is a like-new USGI armory rebuild.

I consider the refurbishment to be a valuable and legitimate part of it's storied history and it gives me great peace-of-mind.

In any event, I agree fully with Buzz.

To me the M1 and M1A1 represent the highest evolution of the platform, with all of the unnecessary, ineffective, and superfluous features removed or re-engineered to create the most effective and appropriate war weapon possible.

I believe collectors will increasingly value the M1/M1A1 as having the most relevant service history and as the most optimized of Thompson SMGs.

In my search I considered no others.

Edited by whit

Hi All,

The M1 of the OP would certainly be nicer if it were not modified for blank fire. Back 30+ years ago, M1's were just another old subgun. Matching upper/lower is nice for a military gun in this case.

I rather like the "air pump" of the bolt blasting oil/air mix on my shooting glasses as I shoot. Without the felt oiler slot in the receiver (of the 21/28) the pumping action of the bolt can be noticed.

Early on, I only gathered 21/28 series and then picked up an M1 for fun. Found it to be a joy to shoot w/o some of the extra parts of the earlier versions. I do often run a 28 lower as the QD stock makes it fit better in my racquetball racket padded case.

Shoot 'em while you got 'em,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

Along the lines of this discussion, I've kept this old link bookmarked out of a sense of admiration.

http://www.coloradoclass3.com/COLORADOCLASS3/FOR%20SALE.htm

The M1 advertised has interested and intrigued me. (And I believe a board member here owns - or has owned - it.)

I've wondered if the 5 notches in the butt stock were applied intentionally. :unsure:

Whit,

Do you know when that bookmarked place had the guns listed - or is it current?

I could swear I saw drum #316 go for sale some time recently.

Thanks

Whit,

Do you know when that bookmarked place had the guns listed - or is it current?

I could swear I saw drum #316 go for sale some time recently.

Thanks

Mike,

That ad is several years old. I remember seeing it at least four years ago?

I.m thinking you guys may enjoy my M1. It also is a numbers gun and also a amnesty bring back as well.

It had been PK'd before I bought it. The notches are the real deal, I wish I had the original furniture.

Darryl

M1-2.jpg

M1-1.jpg

M1-12.jpg

M1-17.jpg

Very interesting Darryl,

So your gun is the same #6276 that appears in the old CC3 ad?

But it was refinished and had new furniture installed by PK before you obtained it?

Fascinating.

And of course this fuels the debate as to whether it is more desirable or valuable now - or before!

Good stuff...

whit

Edited by whit

whit,

What CC3 ad are you referring too?

Darryl

That is interesting, again I wish I had the original furniture. I also have a copy of it's amnesty papers as well.

What was the year the ad was advertised?

Thanks,

Darryl

Darryl,

I'm afraid I don't know how old that ad is.

As GIJive said, it's at least a few years old.

I was searching for the right M1/M1A1 for a LONG time!

whit

P.S. You have a great M1! (But I confess that I like it even more in it's original unmolested form ;) )

The amnesty document has (9) "nick" marks on the butt stock as an identifying feature. I'm thinking

about replicating these notches myself on it's current butt stock. After all, it is part of the guns history.

I bought the gun from a dealer in South Carolina who had it PK'd. I've had it for around 6 years now.

Darryl