Your Opinion - Period Photo, or from "Public Enemies?"

World War II milled two-piece ​stamped ejector - a still from Public Enemies...IMO

(a big thank you to gijive below for correcting the obvious error)

Edited by TD.
  • Upvote 1

Blanks, (like Bob said). you can see the crimping. A movie shot. Public enemy????

The movie "The Public Enemy" was a 1931 release, so the Thompson would have been Colts with milled ejectors.

Picture looks to good for 1931 Film. BTW, The 1931 movie is said to have used live ammo for a lot of outdoor shots.

Looks like a 1950's movie shot, my guess "The FBI Story" with Jimmy Stewart

Also, I never heard of "Public Enemies" a new one on my watch list

Edited by Paladin601

Yea, Public Enemies. Guys wore black gloves in the scenes as shown. Historically incorrect in many ways, but entertaining. They had asked if my 1933 Buick model 90 was available to rent for the movie to be totally correct, it was not, so they used a 1936 Buick instead. Also they contacted the National Crime & Punishment Museum if they could use the original Dillinger 1933 Essex ( which I had owned) in the movie. Nope.

Depp got real interested in the whole Dillinger era and was collecting Dillinger stuff after the movie, then went back to Capt. Jack Sparrow I believe.

Don't watch it anymore the wrong history bugs me to much. In some scenes, Deep is a dead on doppelganger to Dillinger. That's pretty cool .

OCM

TD-

As long as it's not 1933-1934, then it would be a bad thing , especially if it's Nelson holding # 5487.

I think I mentioned before that I made the receivers the prop house used to assemble the blank guns for this

movie. At the time I did not do the Colt engraving but the guy insisted that they had to have it. I asked if there

would be close-ups of the receivers and he said no, but that he wanted the actors to believe the guns were

original so they would treat them with respect.

He told me a story of doing a movie with Steven Segal which had a scene where he was supposed to shoot

a M1911 pistol. So of course they get a modern pistol and fit it with the correct parts so it looks like a M1911.

When they shot the scene Segal took one look at the gun and said it's supposed to be a Colt M1911 - what the

heck is this? And refused to do it until they had a true Colt. So they had to get an original M1911, ruin it to

make it shoot blanks, and they used that.

All that being said one of the color close-ups clearly has M1928A1 engraving. I don't know if that is an original

gun or also a gun assembled as a blank gun.

Bob

I don't let a little historic inaccuracy bother me too much as long as it's done as part of compressing the story into a movie or some other practical consideration.

Bonnie and Clyde had several accomplices but in the 1967 movie they just represented them as one guy. It's still a great movie.

The movie "Patton" is excellent but every tank in the movie is an 1950s era American tank.

Etc.

Edited by buzz