Stinger Build

Forgot to add a quick youtube I put together.

It must have been a rare occasion that those guns were fire from the hip. It's next to impossible to control from the hip.
Shooting prone, the cyclic rate harmonics are actually pretty smooth, and the gun is pretty easy to shoot accurately out to 500yds.

Thank you!

That is some history/reenacting worth watching.

I imagine it heats up really, really fast w/o being attached to an aircraft. Nice shooting.

Did you happen to try to work over some cardboard IPSC style targets at range?

Grasshopper

Thank you!

That is some history/reenacting worth watching.

I imagine it heats up really, really fast w/o being attached to an aircraft. Nice shooting.

Did you happen to try to work over some cardboard IPSC style targets at range?

Grasshopper

That range day was 4 hours of swapping parts until I got a combo that worked. It was a beautiful Sunday and the range was packed. I'm hoping to get out this coming monday and shoot up some B21 cardboard targets. If I can organize it this afternoon, I'd like to get a few guys and demonstrate how hard it is to shoot from the hip on a short private range.

FWIW it looks like shortening the sling so that the bottom of the gun is just above waist height might improve control. With the long sling it's got too much leverage.

It seems the trick is to take all the slack out of the sling and not use it all when firing. With any sling tension, it just acts as a pivot point from the shoulder sending the rounds into the dirt.

That's a great video! Makes me wonder if you did 50 rounds or more in a continuous burst you could hose rounds right where you want then to go once you got your lean right to compensate for recoil force. Please do more video.

I have a laundry list of tests I plan to document on video. I want to see how the gun holds up, what parts need to be changed, etc. I've already run into a few issues. My biggest restriction is the range I have access to that allows MGs, wouldn't approve of much of what I want to do. I've tried to hold a 50rd belt on target, but no matter what the muzzle blast kicks up too much dirt/dust and I can't see anything - but I can't imagine the conditions on Iwo Jima were any different. I've attempted several times and had to stop because I cant risk bullets not going where they are supposed to.

Here is a video I did yesterday of "target practice". The 2 images are screen grabs of a 50rd belt dump attempt at 100yds. I dont want to post video in case someone complains that I'm shooting when I cant see the backstop(even though I wasnt)

20200623_211222.jpg

20200623_211256.jpg

Edited by bigbore

Mine shot about 3 inches at a 100 yards . Now it could be that my barrels were in better shape , but my bipod was attached to a bracket that mounted to the reciever holes . I don't see how mounting it up on the shroud could be passing pressure / rubbing to the barrel , but it may . I would love to give this a try . We have access to one of Patton's WW2 training ranges . 500 yard range , although there is a dirt road that passes between the 200 and 300 berms . We have a mountain range down range that starts a few hundred yards past the old target pits with draws angling up a few thousand yards to the top . Pass that is about 6KM of rough mountains till you reach farm land on the other side . Come on down , Chris

Mine shot about 3 inches at a 100 yards . Now it could be that my barrels were in better shape , but my bipod was attached to a bracket that mounted to the reciever holes . I don't see how mounting it up on the shroud could be passing pressure / rubbing to the barrel , but it may . I would love to give this a try . We have access to one of Patton's WW2 training ranges . 500 yard range , although there is a dirt road that passes between the 200 and 300 berms . We have a mountain range down range that starts a few hundred yards past the old target pits with draws angling up a few thousand yards to the top . Pass that is about 6KM of rough mountains till you reach farm land on the other side . Come on down , Chris

I could probably do better with sandbags and a rear rest, and the 90degrees with 90% humidity didnt help my sight picture. All I wanted to do was hit the plate. The barrel has a good bore, but the throat is worn pretty bad. There is always something, this afternoon I'm removing the BAR carry handle and attaching something more correct.

They used the grip from a flexible ANM2 aircraft mount . BMG sales had them in black and brown . They are held on with a bolt through the center .

Chris

https://www.bmgparts.com/anm2.html

They are out of stock, I tried to get them a few weeks ago. Since there is no proof all six had the same carry handle, I'm going with a M1917 grip. Either would have had to be welded to the side mount, both were available options, so I'm going to call it good.

20200624_161901.jpg

That is way cool. Awesome project. How hard is it to find an AN/M2 to start with?

There are 4 of them listed on Sturmgewehr right now. I got this at the Morphy's Auction. It was whooped piece of crap that no one else bid on so I got it cheap enough to do make into a stinger. The barrel was rusted into the shroud, the booster was rusted to the barrel, the bolt was rusted to the barrel extension. It may as well have been sold as a DWAT. Who ever wrote the description saying the "action was tight" wasnt kidding, because the action was rusted in place - they never moved that cocking handle at all if they pulled on it. But for $12,100.00 I'm still happy with the purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

The Grevich technique for pillbox reduction: the Stinger man wormed his way as close to the position as possible, usually withing 20 yards, and opened fire on the aperture. The demolitions man moved in under his covering fire and threw his charge in the aperture.

Using that technique, the Stinger is a damn good tool for the job. I set up some steel at 25 yards today and blasted away. From that distance it's like a laser gun. I did two 40rd belts of ball, and 1 16rd belt of AP between 3 targets. After that there was nothing left standing to shoot. windage was perfect, but elevation issues cut the 2x4s. I taped a 5" 3/4 thick piece of mild steel to one post and hit it with 3rds from a burst of AP. I had a standard plate about waist high that the hits strung vertically about 6" but kept all the hits 2" wide! I had one other piece of scrap AR500 that I stuck in the ground as a persons head.

I gave up the search for the proper bipod legs so I cut the one I have apart and put them back together upside down. Looks good, and will serve the purpose until I come across real ones.

platesdown.jpg

hits.jpg

ap.jpg

hole.jpg

newpod.jpg