Dumb question-M1 vs M2 markings

If I wanted to make an M2 carbine clone-ie use an M2 cut stock, m2 selector and then overstamp the 1 with a 2 could this be considered modifying a semi auto to a full auto receiver? The gun would be staying in a semi auto configuration, but just appear to be a full auto gun.

Asking for a friend who posed the question to me. I have no clue how to answer properly.

BATF has arbitrarily decided that any carbine with a "2" in the model designation is a machine gun- period, end of discussion. You could try to explain to them that the rifle was never capable of full auto function and you added the markings just to look cool, but considering how many years in prison you are gambling with, I would not recommend it. The addition of an M2 stock and a non-functioning selector would be OK, but the markings would bite you in the ass.

I would use the stock , the lever , a M2 cut trigger guard , a 9-spring , and a rocking arm with the rocking arm itself cut down . The stock and trigger guard are not part of the 7 deadly parts and the lever , 9-spring and the pin part of the rocking arm makes up only 2-1/2 of the 7 .

Chris

I'm pretty sure the trigger housing is among the "evil 7" parts. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I think a collection of parts as described above would be tap-dancing closer to the line than I would be comfortable with.

I would position the selector properly, then tack weld it to the trigger housing. That's enough for looks and can't possibly be construed as an attempt at a \n MG.

FWIW

Not sure it is the end of the discussion. They certainly frown on it, but they said the same thing about M14 markings and according to their website currently https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guide-identification-firearms-section-1

those are supposedly machine guns, yet at least 2 companies have made them marked that way without repercussion, LRB and SEI, so that information is flat out false.

If taken to court they pretty surely would lose, the only question is whether or not you want to be the test case if it ever got that far after being caught, and charged with not paying NFA tax. As most of us know a marking on a gun means nothing, it's the the mechanics that determine whether or not a firearm is a machine gun. The vast majority of M14 machine guns in the marketplace are marked M1A. One of their claims was that it was for LE to quickly ascertain whether or not a firearms was a MG just by a quick look at the markings. That argument is also false in that some firearms and even "non-firearms" such as stocks have been labeled as MG's with no discernible markings for LE to establish their function. Is an airsoft M2 marked carbine a MG?

I guess the other option is to put M2 parts in an M1 marked carbine and since it's only marked M1, it can't possibly be a MG? Generally courts rule you can only have it one way which is why you see a lot of NFA cases dropped or negotiated down because on paper we still do have a constitution that some judges attempt to abide by even though congress often passes unconstitutional laws such as in 1986 that remain so fragile no one wants to get too close to a real legal challenge. Technology exists today to break down the video and audio to each member in the voice vote and prove that law never passed.

IMO the standard non-thought provoking answers are much dumber than your question. Glad I responded before my second cup of coffee!

Sadly we seem to be at a point where no one wants to challenge stupid people making stupid decisions for the rest of us because they've instilled fear of persecution in most people whether the threat is real or not.

I had M2s and I had a M1 that I built into a flinch-o-matic . It was very enjoyable to have someone pick up the M1 , fire a couple of shots , flip it to full , and watch the flinch as it fired one shot .

It's like being pregnant , you are or you're not , no " a little .

For review , the 7 are :

selector lever

9-spring

pin and rocker - made of two parts but counted as one

disconnector

disconnector spring

disconnector spring plunger / cap - yes , it's silly

M2 hammer

While the M2 stock , M2 slide , M2 trigger housing and M2 sear are needed , too many had been released through civilian sales in M1s that they left them off the list . You'll be safe keeping the lever function though a Barney Fife could pop up and cause problems .

i think sticking any dummy selector on a firearm is stupid ! there was a post long time ago some guy had a dummy switch glued to an M1A at a range and some off duty sheriff was real interested in it,, ruined guys day as another sheriff showed up and they were interested in why would any one want to do this ?? im sure they wondered what else you got stashed away at home,, just sayn