Thompson M1 SMG

Forgive the naïve question, but are all Thompson 20 round magazines marked in the same way, i.e. with the name Auto Ordnance, or are some marked Savage? Are there any other markings on the magazines?

Check out the FAQ on Thompson Magazines.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9897

Thanks both. Very helpful. Is there any way of determining which type of magazine should go with which gun? I'm looking for the magazine that would be most appropriate for a Thompson M1 I just picked up - it's Savage manufactured, serial no. 221543. I've posted some pictures on another thread.

Thanks both. Very helpful. Is there any way of determining which type of magazine should go with which gun? I'm looking for the magazine that would be most appropriate for a Thompson M1 I just picked up - it's Savage manufactured, serial no. 221543. I've posted some pictures on another thread.

Hi,

Savage didn't make magazines for the Thompson, so any magazine would be correct.

For an M1 or M1A1 30 round magazines are probably "more correct" since the 30s were introduced to give the M1 which was not drum-capable more capacity than the 20s provided.

Buy a bunch of them and some web gear to go with

However, don't buy new production ones with a full auto. Use WW11 mags. Some folks have had issues with the magazine catch hole in new production mags from working in the full auto guns.

Sandman,

The problems you mention are because the new, current production Kahr mags have a round hole that is the appropriate 0.10 inches higher on the backstrap to fit the semi-auto guns.

Any WWII mag with a round mag catch hole should work fine. Avoid WWII mags that have the mag catch hole opened up into an oval shape. These have been modified to work in the semi-auto guns.