1928A1 poorly struck markings

I'm looking to purchase a deactivated 1928A1 and have come across an AO manufactured weapon with poorly struck markings (picture attached). Is this something that I should be worried about in terms of its authenticity, or is it just the haste of getting the weapon into service during the war?

post-270458-0-75237200-1627597738_thumb.jpg

What do you think about the crossed cannon cartouche? To me, it looks like the first attempt was done at a bit of an angle and only got half of it, and then he tried to line it up for the second half and didn't quite get there. Would that be a reasonable assumption?

What do you think about the crossed cannon cartouche? To me, it looks like the first attempt was done at a bit of an angle and only got half of it, and then he tried to line it up for the second half and didn't quite get there. Would that be a reasonable assumption?

Very likely. These were not always perfectly struck.

Thank you for posting.

While there is always a worry about fakers in the Thompson world, at first glance I agree with TSMGguy that the markings appear original. I may be more suspicious if in the deactivated Thompson marketplace guns with pristine markings are sold for much higher prices. Are you in the UK where deacs are commonplace? Tell us about the market in general and if the deac in question is an old style or new style deac.

Additional pictures will allow the forum members to properly evaluate other aspects of this Thompson. Does the receiver and frame serial number match? If so, has the frame been re-numbered to match the receiver? This is one area I would concentrate on if I was a buyer for a deac.

While they both look to be honest "rebounds", suspicion might be cast that both appear double-tapped.

These were individual stamps and gross rebounds like these had to be rather rare, especially both on one gun.

But, anyone who has ever done any letter stamping knows it takes a bit of practice to get the numerals to look good and the stamp uniform.

My best guess is a "noob" on one of their first attempts of stamping for the inspector.

I'd say genuine, and kinda cool!

Many Thompson inspector and Ordnance stamps were poorly struck. I dont see anything alarming, but would want to confirm the serial number is fairly low. If you send me the serial number via PM, I will let you know if it seems unusual.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 2 weeks later...