I just ordered windscreens from KAK industries, $1.50 per unit. They have a variety of colors from which you may choose. Go direct to their website and save $0.50 per unit.

Eastern Bloc Arms also has them for $1.00 per unit but their injection molding unit is down, so if you can wait then great. If not, pay a little more at KAK. 

Bulk marking dye (just line chalk) is on Amazon... $13 for a big container. Once I get all the components in, I'll make a video of the re-manufacturing process. Not difficult at all.

Okay, so all the assembly parts are in and I have experimented with the process, with excellent results. Cost per unit, <$3 (if you keep your pushers and casings)

Components:

1. Casings, washed and dry
  2. Pushers, wire wheel cleaned with mating surfaces devoid of gule or adhesive
  3. Windscreens (KAK or Eastern Bloc Arms)
  4. Making dye (line chalk, any color, 5lb container on Amazon)
  5. Elmers glue
  6. Q-tips
  7. Windscreen containment vessel (WCV)

So let's make them!

• Insert the windscreen into the WCV (believe it or not, Tiki torches come with the pictured wooden part that is exactly the right size!). The WCV keeps pressure on the windscreen and prevents cracking. 
  • Fill the windscreen completely with chalk, then gently tap and the chalk will naturally settle just enough to accommodate the pusher.
  • Using the Q-tip with generous Elmers glue, coat the side of the pusher just above the compression rings, 
  • Firmly seat the pusher. Residual air in the windscreen will force the pusher out a tad, so keep pushing until all the air bleeds out and the windscreen "clicks" into place
  • Using the Q-tip with generous Elmers glue, coat the other side of the pusher just below the compression rings,
  • Leaving the mated windscreen in the WCV,  press the casing firmly onto the pusher until it "clicks" 
  • Remove the round, wipe down and leave upright to allow the glue to set

Each unit takes about 1 minute to assemble.

thumbnail_IMG_6665.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6666.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6667.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6672.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6674.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6681.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6676.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6678.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6679.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6682.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just reviewed my post on loading M781's and I have to admit.... it's good!

Just purchased the last of my "supply" of M781 components and now rest comfortable that I can shoot for many years.

• 3 weeks later...

The production M781 shell casings (plastic) are very sturdy. I have now used some of them four times with no cracking or chipping. The only issue, is that they discolor from the powder burns, but function perfectly. 

So if you want to use aluminum cases for chalk or sponge rounds, a bit of extra work is required. Using a 5/32 bit, ream out the gas port inside the casing. This will remove just enough metal to allow you to use a slightly smaller punch to remove the pressed in blanks/propellent charges. The expended blanks will be very tight, so work slow. To load, always insert the blank first, using casing lube. I place the 40mm casing upside down in one of my jigs, lube the blank and press in slightly with my fingers. Then I position the whole thing in a vice and slowly tighten the jaws, which presses the blank firmly into the case. Using the wood jig (see above) prevents damage to the case rim (upper and lower). 

Guys, make sure if you shoot sponge rounds that you only load them to 1/2 full load, .38 shorts. Even on 1/2 load they move so quickly you can barely see them in flight. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that!

On 12/31/2023 at 3:25 PM, Rekraps said:

Guys, make sure if you shoot sponge rounds that you only load them to 1/2 full load, .38 shorts. Even on 1/2 load they move so quickly you can barely see them in flight. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that!

Sponge rounds are no joke - you would def not want to get hit by one even at a distance...

The damage I've seen them do to a chain-link fence at ~100ft is beyond what you could do with a metal baseball bat..

3 minutes ago, mattnh said:

Sponge rounds are no joke - you would def not want to get hit by one even at a distance...

The damage I've seen them do to a chain-link fence at ~100ft is beyond what you could do with a metal baseball bat..

Ya, hitting a tree at 75 yards delivers a huge SPLAT noise! I'm never gonna riot!

So, if you use aluminum OEM or aftermarket shells, after the initial firing, the top portion of the casing will expand slightly making 2nd fitting of sponge or pusher a bit loose. You can use elmers glue to seal the projectile. 

I'm trying to source a die that will resize the 40 mm shell OD to 40.05mm.  The aluminum shell is slightly narrower in the top third, which expands when shot. After shooting the upper half expands to 40.10, just enough to be slightly loose. 

Any of you machinists have the expertise to make a hollow tapered "pipe" that I can use to resize the shell. It has to be open on both ends so I can use a hardwood dowl to  push the resized shell out. 

After experimenting with the Aluminum cases, I would advise "no". The cases look great and function fine... for the first round. The upper 2 cm's expand slightly making the reloading (chalk or sponge) loose. By the second shot (1/2 or full load) the case expand enough to bind in the receiver. As of today, there is no way to resize the shell.

The plastic/polymer cases do not deform at all. They just break after four or five reloadings. 

• 3 weeks later...

So what's to keep you from getting a re-sizing die made?

You're probably still going to lose the cases eventually but you could get several more shots out of them

You have tge dimensions you need. Any machine shop can make one

Edited by StrangeRanger

1 hour ago, StrangeRanger said:

You're probably still going to lose the cases eventually but you could get several more shots out of them

You know, you are right. I'll go looking this weekend. Although I'll tell you, the polymer cases seem to last also. I've now shot five or six times through some of them and had only one break. They get a bit smudged, but work just fine. I recondition each one, wash & sand the interior surface, and they just keep on going.

If it's only the first 20mm/.79" behind the case mouth that needs resized a piece of 2" round 1.00" long should do nicely.  I don't think you'll need a taper for the full length of the bore just have it bored through to .001" or .002" LESS than the OD of a virgin case to account for some springback.  You'll want a lead angle maybe 15° x .25" long on the entry end to enable feeding the case but not resizing behind the first 20mm.  Aluminum is soft so the "die" shouldn't require hardening but aluminum  galls like crazy when it encounters friction so use case lube.  I like Dillon's spray bottles but there are others

12 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

And you probably want the ID finish to be 32 or better both to reduce friction and to lessen any damage to the cases

thanks for the tips, I was wondering about the entry angle. 

The entry angle is probably less important than the depth.  You want to make certain that you do not try to re-size the rigid portion of the case beyond the initial 20mm that has expanded. The initial 1.00" die length minus the .25" deep lead-in gives .75"/19.05mm so you would have just under 1mm to spare

9 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

The entry angle is probably less important than the depth.  You want to make certain that you do not try to re-size the rigid portion of the case beyond the initial 20mm that has expanded. The initial 1.00" die length minus the .25" deep lead-in gives .75"/19.05mm so you would have just under 1mm to spare

Got it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 3:12 PM, StrangeRanger said:

I took a few shells to Joe Jones of Shaw Armament and he's making me a resizing die! I keep everyone updated. 

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, if you're looking for some crowd control items, just in case, then a company in Arizona called AZAO has some cool stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

AZAO delivered my stuff last week and it's excellent. I bought some "shot" shells, packed with 40 .25inch steel balls (no impulse charge installed) and some rubber baton rounds (both pellets and rubber slugs (2x per shell), again no impulse charge installed. These fire with regular .38 special 1/2 loads which are easily available. Keeping them in storage in case the Roaches go wild (i.e. Haiti). It can happen. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have now reloaded a set (about 10) of my plastic M781 shells and have yet to have a single failure. Clean 'em up, use the recovered pushers and you're back in business. As noted above, I do lightly wire brush the pusher and inside of the shell casing, then use Elmers glue to seal both sides. Works perfect. Downside? The formerly white shell casing are now no longer white.