Using Thompson 5-mag pouch for M3 mags during WWII?

Did a search but couldn’t find an answer.  Has anyone seen a photo of a WW2 soldier using this pouch for M3 mags like this one that has Thompson 30 round mags?  Thank you.

D9C482C7-C15E-4B21-8DED-CDFABD373925.jpeg

Edited by levallois

Do you mean has anyone seen a picture a GI using a Thompson 5 cell pouch to field M3/M3A1 magazines?  Or are you asking if this is a GI with Grease Gun mags in a Thompson 5 cell pouch? 

From the research I've done over the years, it seems that most GI's used the 3 cell M3 pouches or an 8 magazine bag in the field.  You could use a 5 cell Thompson pouch for M3/M3A1 magazines, but you wouldn't be able to snap it closed and if you did what is shown with M3/M3A1 mags, it would snag when trying to pull them out due to the over insertion tabs on the sides.

I appreciate the replies.  I should have been clearer.  I realize the guy on the left in the photo has to have had a Thompson and those are 30 round Thompson mags in the pouch.  You guys saw a lot more detail.  Seeing this photo made me wonder if, except for the D90242 tanker bag/pouch or using a gas mask bag or GP bag, the guys carrying M3s in WW2 used the Thompson 5 cell? Weren’t the three cell M3 pouches post WW2?   

I don’t have a real grease gun - maybe in the future - but I dug out four of the mags.  When I put my grease gun mags in a Thompson pouch they fit all the way into the pouch and don’t snag on the way out if I pull the lift-the-dot fastener.   Of course, the M3 mags in the pouch and hanging out that much are likely to get snagged on brush, branches, etc. but then so are the slightly shorter 30-round Thompsons.

79594CFB-67A2-411C-BFBF-FA970EB94F3F.jpeg

Edited by levallois

Please let me know where I can get more information about the 3-cell pouch in WW2.  I guess that I need to get better or more up to date reference material.  My information comes from Michael Hedler’s Book - The US M3/m3A1 Submachine Gun - he wrote that there were no pouches specifically made for the M3 during WWII except the D90242 tanker bag and another GP ammo bag where the mags are loose. I also looked at a great article in the 90th Infantry Division Preservation Group magazine Summer 2013 titled “Guide Lamp: The Wartime M3” by Michael Ellis that had the same information.  Thanks!

If you put the GG mags in a TSMG pouch base first will they fit and withdraw easily?  I know it's far from the most secure way to carry mags with the top round exposed but it works with Shpagin mags which cannot be fit into a pouch base plate up because of the tabs at the top of the mag

On 2/16/2023 at 9:16 AM, levallois said:

I appreciate the replies.  I should have been clearer.  I realize the guy on the left in the photo has to have had a Thompson and those are 30 round Thompson mags in the pouch.  You guys saw a lot more detail.  Seeing this photo made me wonder if, except for the D90242 tanker bag/pouch or using a gas mask bag or GP bag, the guys carrying M3s in WW2 used the Thompson 5 cell? Weren’t the three cell M3 pouches post WW2?   

I don’t have a real grease gun - maybe in the future - but I dug out four of the mags.  When I put my grease gun mags in a Thompson pouch they fit all the way into the pouch and don’t snag on the way out if I pull the lift-the-dot fastener.   Of course, the M3 mags in the pouch and hanging out that much are likely to get snagged on brush, branches, etc. but then so are the slightly shorter 30-round Thompsons.

79594CFB-67A2-411C-BFBF-FA970EB94F3F.jpeg

The soldier on the left has a bandoleer slung across his chest. My guess is that he has a M1 rifle slung over his shoulder. The soldier on the right appears to have a Ranger tab on is uniform.

Edited by Bridgeport28A1

3 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

If you put the GG mags in a TSMG pouch base first will they fit and withdraw easily?  

Yes, the mags are more easily withdrawn in the base first position.  They also more easily fall out.

1317D917-C70F-494A-90A4-D9AE9AD872F0.jpeg

Edited by levallois

Bridgeport28A1 - more great observation on the photo!

Got Uzi - ok thanks!  Makes me wonder what else isn’t in the books.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:30 PM, Got Uzi said:

I can tell you that there is a good bit not in the “books” and I had kicked around putting one together before I sold my collection off, but I never got the time. 

Makes me sad to read this as all that knowledge will be lost.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:04 PM, Bridgeport28A1 said:

The Sgt. (Ranger) on the right Thompson has a late 1928A1 with a plain L rear sight.

Nice!  I should go get my eyes checked.

12 hours ago, jim c 351 said:

While serving in VN, 64/65 I carried my spare TSMG mags in a canvas case meant for a radio antenna. I can't remember for sure, but I think it held 4 or 5 mags.

Bet you won't find that in any TSMG books.

Jim C

Did you use that case because you had to - no other pouches available?  Or because it was better?  Or?

On 2/15/2023 at 4:11 PM, levallois said:

Did a search but couldn’t find an answer.  Has anyone seen a photo of a soldier doing this like this one for Thompson 30 round mags?  Thank you.

D9C482C7-C15E-4B21-8DED-CDFABD373925.jpeg

Look closely, he is in fact holding a TSMG with no buttstock, so it would make sense that the mags are TSMG mags.

2 hours ago, Rekraps said:

Look closely, he is in fact holding a TSMG with no buttstock, so it would make sense that the mags are TSMG mags.

I know the soldier on the right is carrying a Thompson and Thompson 30 round mags in a 20-round mag 5 cell pouch.  The question is did soldiers carrying the M3 use the same pouch for their mags?

On 2/18/2023 at 8:08 PM, jim c 351 said:

At the time, 64/65, the Thompson was no longer an issue weapon, the M14 was.

So if a soldier wanted to carry a black market Thompson he got by with what he could find.

Jim C

How did you get away with carrying the Thompson?

It was a different time and a different army. Things that wouldn't be tolerated stateside were ignored at the time in VN. 

For instance, at that time period, soldiers of all ranks were permitted to take personal handguns with them and carry when ever one was in uniform.

I later learned that there was less than 25,000 troops scattered thru out the country. A far cry from the 500,00 troops that arrived later.

The Sgt Major Ruled that all enlisted personal would walk guard duty, including the SM. I have a photo of him on duty.

Some of the firearm enthusiasts, like myself, would go to a VN police range periodically, and have a really great time.

I think the officers felt comforted that their command had some shooters, and frequently the officers would join us at the range.

So, not only did no one object to my tommy, but liked the idea of having an extra gun available if needed.

After I left, June 1965, as more troops arrived, I'm sure that thing reverted back to the normal chicken shit army that we all knew and loved.

Jim C

PS,- others in the unit had other non issue guns. A BAR, M3A1 GG, M2 carbine ext. .

PS I was not the only one with a non issue firearm. Others had a M3 GG, a BAR, an M2 carbine etc. .

14 hours ago, jim c 351 said:

It was a different time and a different army. Things that wouldn't be tolerated stateside were ignored at the time in VN. 

For instance, at that time period, soldiers of all ranks were permitted to take personal handguns with them and carry when ever one was in uniform.

I later learned that there was less than 25,000 troops scattered thru out the country. A far cry from the 500,00 troops that arrived later.

The Sgt Major Ruled that all enlisted personal would walk guard duty, including the SM. I have a photo of him on duty.

Some of the firearm enthusiasts, like myself, would go to a VN police range periodically, and have a really great time.

I think the officers felt comforted that their command had some shooters, and frequently the officers would join us at the range.

So, not only did no one object to my tommy, but liked the idea of having an extra gun available if needed.

After I left, June 1965, as more troops arrived, I'm sure that thing reverted back to the normal chicken shit army that we all knew and loved.

Jim C

PS,- others in the unit had other non issue guns. A BAR, M3A1 GG, M2 carbine ext. .

PS I was not the only one with a non issue firearm. Others had a M3 GG, a BAR, an M2 carbine etc. .

My father was a Battalion commander in 69 (mech infantry) and he told me he let the soldiers carry whatever they wanted, as long as the supply chain for ammo would accommodate it.