Crack open the piggy bank

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, StrangeRanger said:

There's going to be a PPD-40 on the block at Rock Island in May

Seems like another one came up at auction not too long ago.
If memory serves it went for a price that was beyond my comfort zone to own.
A very historical gun, that uses just the mags designed for it.

Richard

14 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

There's going to be a PPD-40 on the block at Rock Island in May

That is my dream gun. But like you guys, I'm "gunned" out right now. Just bought a M16A2, M76 and a "K" in the last four months. 

And then this shows up! ARGHHHHHH!

I went on my PPD-40 search back in the day after reading an article by Frank Iannamico in the old Machine Gun News about Frank's own PPD-40.  Not too long thereafter, I found a C&R PPD-40 and bought it sight unseen...pre-internet days, can't remember if I found it in the classified section of MGN or Shotgun News.  Those were the days!...I think I paid something like $3400 for it.  After transfer to my C&R, I took possession directly from its owner (who lived in another state) as he was passing through my town on his way back from The Creek.  It turned out to be a beautiful Finn captured gun which came with a single original drum!

I loved everything about the PPD-40, but then as it is now, spare parts (including original drums) are almost unobtainable.  PPSh-41 mags and drums are easily altered to fit / function in the PPD-40, but other important spares are just extremely hard to find.  Being the sort of owner who's a shooter and not one to put up a rare gun for admiring, this is / was not a good situation.  I shot a good amount of the best quality corrosive surplus of the day (Yugo) and then I didn't shoot it much after that for fear something would break...and I had plenty of other choices.

Years passed and I finally let it go to fund a different Title 2 "fun button."  It's one of those SMGs I regret selling, but to me it's not one of those guns you can shoot thousands and thousands of rounds through each year.  The PPD-40 is a simple pre-war design that was beautifully executed.  One neat feature the PPD has is its floating firing pin with integral firing pin safety.

For anyone looking to add one to their collection...you won't be disappointed, IMO.  Understand however, spare parts for them are extremely rare.

Edited by hkg3k

16 hours ago, hkg3k said:

I went on my PPD-40 search back in the day after reading an article by Frank Iannamico in the old Machine Gun News about Frank's own PPD-40.  Not too long thereafter, I found a C&R PPD-40 and bought it sight unseen...pre-internet days, can't remember if I found it in the classified section of MGN or Shotgun News.  Those were the days!...I think I paid something like $3400 for it.  After transfer to my C&R, I took possession directly from its owner (who lived in another state) as he was passing through my town on his way back from The Creek.  It turned out to be a beautiful Finn captured gun which came with a single original drum!

I loved everything about the PPD-40, but then as it is now, spare parts (including original drums) are almost unobtainable.  PPSh-41 mags and drums are easily altered to fit / function in the PPD-40, but other important spares are just extremely hard to find.  Being the sort of owner who's a shooter and not one to put up a rare gun for admiring, this is / was not a good situation.  I shot a good amount of the best quality corrosive surplus of the day (Yugo) and then I didn't shoot it much after that for fear something would break...and I had plenty of other choices.

Years passed and I finally let it go to fund a different Title 2 "fun button."  It's one of those SMGs I regret selling, but to me it's not one of those guns you can shoot thousands and thousands of rounds through each year.  The PPD-40 is a simple pre-war design that was beautifully executed.  One neat feature the PPD has is its floating firing pin with integral firing pin safety.

For anyone looking to add one to their collection...you won't be disappointed, IMO.  Understand however, spare parts for them are extremely rare.

It's just a great looking gun also. Sometimes I wonder when I pay say $25K for a M3 and when you get it you realize just how... how .... how cheap these things are in terms of manufacturing. Makes you appreciate the MP 18, 28, MP38 and even the PPSH!

I have an MP38 and it is by far the nicest subgun to shoot. Slow rate of fire and works 100 percent. It is the only subgun I have that has never once malfunctioned in about 2000 rounds so have put through it

On 3/23/2023 at 8:53 PM, hkg3k said:

This is the reason I passed on some guns back in the 90’s. I was a shooter and passed on guns that you could not get ammo for like the Mp44 or the ones that parts were obscene or unavailable. I stuck to 9mm guns mostly that you could buy parts and mags for

Edited by Roland the Thompsongunner

I'd always wanted an MP28 but I found a deal on it's British cousin, the Lanchester.  It's 3/4 of a pound heavier thanks to the bronze lump of a mag housing and has a much less ergonomic stock thanks to the SMLE but once the Sten mags are sorted it's 100% reliable and due to the weight is unbelievably controllable.  Plus it comes with the longest bayonet Lanchester reduced.jpg

They are a cool gun almost bought one way back about 20 years ago. The ones that still haunt me are one deal for a pair of 1918 BAR’s for 10k around 1997. Just bought my house a week before so didn’t have 20 dollars to spend and another was a factory shorty Colt M16A1 bought new buy a guy at work and he sold it the week I was on vacation and told me about it when I got back and said oh I didn’t think you would be interested I thought you only collected WWII stuff. I almost cried 

6 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

I'd always wanted an MP28 but I found a deal on it's British cousin, the Lanchester.  It's 3/4 of a pound heavier thanks to the bronze lump of a mag housing and has a much less ergonomic stock thanks to the SMLE but once the Sten mags are sorted it's 100% reliable and due to the weight is unbelievably controllable.  Plus it comes with the longest bayonet Lanchester reduced.jpg

I love that gun.  I'll be getting mine back from Andrewski soon.... I hope!

19 hours ago, maxfaxdude said:

Picked up my PPD from Midwest Tactical in 2019.

Great gun -- very well made!.

DSC_0394.jpg

I hate you. But if you ever want to sell, contact me! 

The PPD uses a slightly different drum.  IIRC you can make a minor modification to the feed lips of a Shpagin drum to work in a PPD. I also seem to recall that the PPD drum will work in a Shpagin but since no one has PPD drums lying about, even if true that's pretty meaningless

14 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

The PPD uses a slightly different drum.  IIRC you can make a minor modification to the feed lips of a Shpagin drum to work in a PPD. I also seem to recall that the PPD drum will work in a Shpagin but since no one has PPD drums lying about, even if true that's pretty meaningless

Roger. I think this gun will be high on my "wants" for my next purchase.

Just now, Rekraps said:

He must need money, the PPSH is way underpriced.

And to prove it, it sold in just minutes. No details about matching SN,s. Rats, I missed it.