Crack open the piggy bank

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You missed the "sold pending funds" part that was posted yesterday.

And even in this market $37K is pretty steep for a PPSh.  There was another one there last week for $27K.  Not sure matching and amnesty paperwork is worth $10K; it sure wouldn't be for me

I'll have one coming in a couple months that will be on the block.  We'll have to discount it to 35K since I don't have any bring back paperwork?   They were all brought here one way or another, but I guess if one guy carried one vs. coming in on a pallet on a boat and listed on an import form that adds a lot of money? 

The one I have here now was made by Kim Jong Un's grandpa, it's not even russian?   I gave the letter to Dennis Rodman, to get it signed by the kid....but have not gotten it back yet? 

In my opinion capture papers do add some value to a gun but how much can widely vary. If it was just some GI and it shows his name and location it is worth a small premium of say a few hundred dollars. Now if it was captured at some famous battle or was captured or carried by someone famous than I think it adds a huge amount. 

Everyone has their personal taste, so why the one Ppsh brought 37k in pretty rough condition and needing repairs it was still a c&r gun. While the one that sold a few weeks ago for 27k looked nice or was presented as such, but it may have not been a c&r gun. 

Edited by 83Baron

11 hours ago, 83Baron said:

Everyone has their personal taste, so why the one Ppsh brought 37k in pretty rough condition and needing repairs it was still a c&r gun. While the one that sold a few weeks ago for 27k looked nice or was presented as such, but it may have not been a c&r gun. 

Excellent points. Remember guys, and this is spoken by the very best of the old timers, "You never pay too much, you just buy too early".

On 4/27/2023 at 8:46 PM, johnsonlmg41 said:

I'll have one coming in a couple months that will be on the block.  We'll have to discount it to 35K since I don't have any bring back paperwork?   They were all brought here one way or another, but I guess if one guy carried one vs. coming in on a pallet on a boat and listed on an import form that adds a lot of money? 

The one I have here now was made by Kim Jong Un's grandpa, it's not even russian?   I gave the letter to Dennis Rodman, to get it signed by the kid....but have not gotten it back yet? 

I spoke with Andrewski the other day. He says (and he has tons of private collector clients) that PPSH's are very hot. Price your PPSH around $40K. The recent sale at $27K was an anomaly by a seller who needed cash and a screaming good deal. If  you have extras, like a sling/matching drum and parts it will certainly help. After speaking with him, I bought the Korean War Amnesty gun that was listed on Sturm.

Just now, Rekraps said:

I spoke with Andrewski the other day. He says (and he has tons of private collector clients) that PPSH's are very hot. Price your PPSH around $40K. The recent sale at $27K was an anomaly by a seller who needed cash and a screaming good deal. If  you have extras, like a sling/matching drum and parts it will certainly help. After speaking with him, I bought the Korean War Amnesty gun that was listed on Sturm.

As luck would have it, the gun I bought is a MOLOT gun, just 600 units off my other serial # gun. So, two guns, both 1944, same factory and most likely manufactured the same day. Wow.

I have been collecting MG’s since the early 90’s and I am still surprised by how some guns sit kind of stagnant price wise only gaining a bit each year and then all of a sudden they skyrocket in a short time. 

Edited by Roland the Thompsongunner

13 hours ago, Roland the Thompsongunner said:

I have been collecting MG’s since the early 90’s and I am still surprised by how some guns sit kind of dragnet price wise only gaining a bit each year and then all of a sudden they skyrocket in a short time. 

I also.  The "K"s are a perfect example... I'm waiting on the M76's to take off....

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

The PPD-40 hammered at a surprisingly low $27,500

Shit! I should have bought it. Every now and then an item just does not generate interest!

18 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

That was the hammer price.  The realized price was $32,313 add tax and S&H and you're somewhere near $35K but still a skosh less than I would have guessed

Agree. I have to say, the PPD to me is my dream gun. I'll probably never get one though.....

• 1 month later...

Though I no longer have my PPD-40 (another lucky board member here does), I still have it's full-auto "little brother," a Squires-Bingham (Pietta) PPS-50.  Most say this model is a scaled copy of the PPSh-41, but to my eye, it's an almost "dead-ringer" for the PPD-40 (or 38).  These little beauties are all steel and wood...very well built and simple.  Factory support with new parts is available as are new magazines / drums from Black Dog Machine.

The giggle factor for a (reliable) .22lr full-auto is very high...and this one is no exception, as it's extremely reliable.  It doesn't go to the range with me very often, but when it does, I become infatuated with it all over again every time.  I had put up a supply of the Black Dog stick mags some time ago, but had yet to test them...so I took the BD mags and PPS-50 to the range the other day to see how they perform together.  Again, I was not disappointed.

This platform is not as versatile as a F/A Norrell 10/22, but then, they don't command F/A Norrell 10/22 money.  Like the F/A 10/22's, the PPS-50s were converted as sear guns and registered receivers, closed-bolt and open-bolt operation.  Mine is a supremely simple open-bolt, full-auto only, registered receiver.

Hope you enjoy...

IMG_20230711_173133.jpg

PPS-01.jpg

Edited by hkg3k

On 7/12/2023 at 5:06 AM, hkg3k said:

Though I no longer have my PPD-40 (another lucky board member here does), I still have it's full-auto "little brother," a Squires-Bingham (Pietta) PPS-50.  Most say this model is a scaled copy of the PPSh-41, but to my eye, it's an almost "dead-ringer" for the PPD-40 (or 38).  These little beauties are all steel and wood...very well built and simple.  Factory support with new parts is available as are new magazines / drums from Black Dog Machine.

The giggle factor for a (reliable) .22lr full-auto is very high...and this one is no exception, as it's extremely reliable.  It doesn't go to the range with me very often, but when it does, I become infatuated with it all over again every time.  I had put up a supply of the Black Dog stick mags some time ago, but had yet to test them...so I took the BD mags and PPS-50 to the range the other day to see how they perform together.  Again, I was not disappointed.

This platform is not as versatile as a F/A Norrell 10/22, but then, they don't command F/A Norrell 10/22 money.  Like the F/A 10/22's, the PPS-50s were converted as sear guns and registered receivers, closed-bolt and open-bolt operation.  Mine is a supremely simple open-bolt, full-auto only, registered receiver.

Hope you enjoy...

IMG_20230711_173133.jpg

PPS-01.jpg

Very interesting! 

• 2 months later...

Guys, buried way into the SMG section of GB is a nice, what looks like to be a matching 1943 PPSH41 listing. I have sent the seller a question or two, but it's listed at $38K which in my mind is in line with current market and limited, very limited availability. 

On 7/12/2023 at 5:06 AM, hkg3k said:

Hope you enjoy...

IMG_20230711_173133.jpg

PPS-01.jpg

I had a PPS-50 semi auto long ago. The drum and box mags were reliable. I always thought it would make a great .22 open bolt full auto. 

Edited by timkel

I had put that one on my watch list a while back just to watch, no way it's in my current budget.  It may be the cleanest Shpagin that I've ever seen, maybe too clean.  Did you inquire as to whether or not the stock was refinished?  It's way nicer than the metal.  The spares package is impressive still I think his asking price a little high.  There is a "Take a Shot" option so make him an offer that he can't refuse.

Удачи

7 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

I had put that one on my watch list a while back just to watch, no way it's in my current budget.  It may be the cleanest Shpagin that I've ever seen, maybe too clean.  Did you inquire as to whether or not the stock was refinished?  It's way nicer than the metal.  The spares package is impressive still I think his asking price a little high.  There is a "Take a Shot" option so make him an offer that he can't refuse.

Удачи 

I knew I'd hear from you. If I did not own 2 already I'd try to get it. I'm awaiting his response on whether or not the bolt and trigger guard & barrel are matching SN. If so, this is a must have. 

But like you, this is out of my budget (I have a perfect 1944 amnesty PPSH41, 1944 all matching (including barrel) in hock that I paid $34,200 for three months ago) with paperwork. 

The thing though is these PPSH's are just not coming up for sale often. Tons of MP5's, UZI's, Mac's, and a smattering of M16's, but the collectible open bolt circa WW2 guns are disappearing. If only I could swing it.... I think it's worth the price,......

My (Wilson) Yugo M59/57 is sort of half Beretta and half Shpagin and cost a whole lot less than either.  I'll make do

As for genuine WWII guns, you don't have a Beretta M38/42 do you?  Look for one but don't pay the stupid money that MWT and Ruben are asking.  They can be found for a LOT less.  Mine is rapidly becoming my favorite SMG

12 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

My (Wilson) Yugo M59/57 is sort of half Beretta and half Shpagin and cost a whole lot less than either.  I'll make do

As for genuine WWII guns, you don't have a Beretta M38/42 do you?  Look for one but don't pay the stupid money that MWT and Ruben are asking.  They can be found for a LOT less.  Mine is rapidly becoming my favorite SMG

Funny you mention the M38. I've actually been looking lately as this is one of the few guns from that era that I have yet to add to the collection. Prices seem to hover around $38K or so for a good example (I only buy matching guns) and so other gun options were easier to make at the time. But now, assuming a rich relative dies soon, I'll have some cash to make maybe one last purchase.....