Merle .22 conversion kits.

We tried to put a kit together today.  It requires a lot of custom fitting of parts.  We have the parts for up to 30 complete kits.  And we have some spare parts for critical components.   Please email roger.herbst@att.net to be put on the official list for a kit or spare parts. 

We havent determined the price yet due to hand fitting. 

Be patient.  (Sorry to say that).  

Roger is selling the first batch of kits.  Contact him only at this point. 

I have a kit, but I need to have it gone through so I might need some spare parts for it in order to get it to work in my 1928 Westie. I will message Roger. Thank you!

I always suspected there was a market for these kits, just not a very big one.

Bought a .22 conversion kit from Vector at the same time I bought a new Group/Vector FA Uzi. This has been enough to satisfy the occasional FA .22 urge. The kit works very well. To install it, you just field strip the gun and replace the barrel, bolt, and mainspring. It's an operation that takes about a minute. The only downside is that mags hold just 25 rounds. It's empty in about two instants! 

Yes, 22LR FA is a lot of fun. Black Dog Mags makes a 50 rnd 22LR drum for the M16 and I'm sure they offer one for other platforms. They run very well and are not too bad to load.

The Vector UZI .22lr kits work great.  I shoot mine all the time.  I got an M60Joe magazine loader and about 15 magazines.  There are some Qualified/Vector 35 round magazines for these UZI conversions out there.  Kids love to shoot my UZI with a .22 kit installed.  It's great to teach trigger control and it has no recoil to intimidate inexperienced shooters.

The Thompson Mad Dog Machine/Merle kits are not a simple drop in.  Before Merle started to sell them, I got a kit from Mad Dog Machine.  PK installed and tuned it.  It shoots perfectly.  The ROF is very slow, maybe 600 rpm at most.  Not only that, but it shoots very cleanly.  I can go 1200 rounds, or more, before cleaning is needed.

The biggest I have seen used are the 50-round drums. There are two versions of that: the Black Dog plastic PPS-50 drum with added mount adapter (bolt-on, made by Merle in metal and Dan in delron) and slight modification to the feed tower; and, the metal Pietta PPS-50 drum with added mount (welded on, Dan does this work). 

Edited by TSMG28

Merle made one custom magazine that used the american 180 drum.  I have it.  If feeds upside down.  I think merle said it worked but i havent tried it.   Idk if i can copy it without trying.

Roger has the black dog drums to adapt.  I have metal pps50 drums.

3 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Merle made one custom magazine that used the american 180 drum.  I have it.  If feeds upside down.  I think merle said it worked but i havent tried it.   Idk if i can copy it without trying.

About a dozen years ago Bazooka Bros. sold "upside down feed" AM-180 drum magwell tower apparatuses/adapters for M16, H&H, and one or two other machine guns.  Few ever worked well, and the products were discontinued.

The abandoned patent application is USPubApp20100083818 (For some reason I'm not able to hot link directly to the site).

Edited by Merry Ploughboy

I have a 180. I would be curious if the winder will stay on the drum running upside or if it would vibrate loose? There is are two retaining springs that hold it, would not take much for it to fall out. 

I had one of the Bazooka Bros. adapters for the HK 91.  Once the thing was fitted to the magazine well on the rifle I was using it with, it worked quite well.  The huge and heavy .308 rifle wouldn't even budge as it digested little .22 rimfire rounds.  Off a bipod it was a hoot.  No indication that even the 275-round drums were in danger of falling off or the winder was coming loose.