Selling Thompsons

I have a couple of West Hurleys that I want to sell. I've had them for 20 years and I'm a little rusty on the procedures and legalities of selling NFA items. I'm sure this has been covered here before; could someone point me to a primer on this? Thanks.

Edited by Gunner
typo

Gunner,

The first thing I would do is tell us the type of West Hurley's you have - 1928 or M1A1 or both. I would also state if you purchased these two WHs new and the condition.

TD, I'm not at the point of posting them for sale here or anyplace else. I first need to understand how to go about selling them. What the law requires, what avenues might be best, etc. Thanks.

If you sell instate you can do a atf form 4.  You and the buyer can do this fairly easy if your not afraid of govt forms.  Just google atf form 4 and look it over.  Buyer has a lot more work to do than the seller.  You just need to provide info and sign.  If you dont want the hassel, you can find a local dealer to do paperwork (and pay him for the service).  If you sell out of state it will have to go to the buyers dealer on a form 3.  Pretty simple to let that dealer handle the paperwork details.  You just sign the form.

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

If you sell instate you can do a atf form 4.  You and the buyer can do this fairly easy if your not afraid of govt forms.  Just google atf form 4 and look it over.  Buyer has a lot more work to do than the seller.  You just need to provide info and sign.  If you dont want the hassel, you can find a local dealer to do paperwork (and pay him for the service).  If you sell out of state it will have to go to the buyers dealer on a form 3.  Pretty simple to let that dealer handle the paperwork details.  You just sign the form.

Thanks, Dan!

As the firearms have likely accrued a significant rise in value over the time owned, I suggest that you check with a knowledgeable tax advisor to determine if and how much potential capital gains tax you are facing so you can plan accordingly.

Best of luck with your sale.

MHO, YMMV, etc.