Middleboro Thompson Makes It's Appearance

I looked at the pictures on GunBroker and although I agree with the assessment of refinshing around the serial number, I don't see anything unusual about the actuator and barrel.

The barrel has a second model Cutts compensator on it which necessitated replacing the barrel. The serial number of the gun is low enough that it probably didn't originally come with that barrel and compensator. It was probably originally a 1921A configuration gun which was sent back to Auto-Ordnance sometime after 1932 for a compensator. Since by then they were installing the second type compensator, it would also require a new barrel with the 3/4 thread size, which differed from the first type compensators.

The second type barrels sometimes exhibit slightlly thicker fins. I believe the gun has obviously been rebarreled, but I believe it is period done and all authentic. The front sight is the proper early profile type also which would be correct for the second model compensator, prior to WWII production.

QUOTE (gijive @ Aug 2 2006, 09:28 AM)
I looked at the pictures on GunBroker and although I agree with the assessment of refinshing around the serial number, I don't see anything unusual about the actuator and barrel.

The barrel has a second model Cutts compensator on it which necessitated replacing the barrel. The serial number of the gun is low enough that it probably didn't originally come with that barrel and compensator. It was probably originally a 1921A configuration gun which was sent back to Auto-Ordnance sometime after 1932 for a compensator. Since by then they were installing the second type compensator, it would also require a new barrel with the 3/4 thread size, which differed from the first type compensators.

The second type barrels sometimes exhibit slightlly thicker fins. I believe the gun has obviously been rebarreled, but I believe it is period done and all authentic. The front sight is the proper early profile type also which would be correct for the second model compensator, prior to WWII production.

thanks for the info. After checking the patent date on the comp, I think you are correct. As fas as the bluing around the serial # goes, it has not been touched up by no means. There is still some finish wear there.

gijive,

While there are some thickness variations to the 2nd type barrels for the 2nd type Cutts as compared to the original Colt/Remington 1921A barrels, this barrel has Savage fin thickness. Visible in the pic is a small mark near the top of the the ring flush with the receiver. That is usually indicative of a non Colt/Remington barrel.

Also, in the ad it is stated that the Middlesboro, KY PD purchased this in 1923. Figuring they sent it back to AOC for the optional Cutts after 1926, but undoubtedly, before 1932, it would retain the original barrel and then have the unmarked Cutts attached.

Even on high 5 digit Colt TSMG's with 2nd pattern Cutts the barrels fins I have seen are still approaching the wafer thinness of the 1921.

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Aug 2 2006, 11:09 AM)

While there are some thickness variations to the 2nd type barrels for the 2nd type Cutts as compared to the original Colt/Remington 1921A barrels, this barrel has Savage fin thickness. Visible in the pic is a small mark near the top of the the ring flush with the receiver. That is usually indicative of a non Colt/Remington barrel.

Arthur,

You're right, I didn't see the small prick on the barrel flange the first time around. Although, the fins do look slightly thicker, I believed the compensator was correct for the second model barrel. You're points, however, make sense.

• 2 months later...
This Thompson was at the Alabama Gun Collector's Association gun in Birmingham this past weekend. The pictures Mike posted are a true representation of the condition the gun was in. I saw it Saturday and the guy said the paperwork had just been approved and he had picked it up the day before (Friday the 13th http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif ).I didn't get to talk to him a lot as it was first thing Saturday morning and it was kinda busy, especially since he was at one of the first few tables as you come in. Edited by ODS9091

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Oct 17 2006, 11:37 PM)
all because they love their wives so very much. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Phil, did you have a fall over the week-end? Bump the noggin? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Oct 18 2006, 11:15 AM)

Yeah, yeah Mike. I know. You get all upitty and look down on these poor guys who have to put up with whip-cracking shrews who insist that they always have to lift the toilet seat, etc.

So you're the guy I always follow at the gun show toilet...... Nuttin worse than a toilet seat pissin gun nut.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/soapbox.gif