Colt Thompsons In French Service

What did everyone think about the article by David Albert in this months SAR titled, Colt Thompsons in French Service? It appears Russell Maguire and company made the largest one time sale of Colt Thompsons to the French in 1939. Actually, depending on whose figures you use, Maguire sold between one-fifth to one-fourth of all Colt Thompsons produced.

How many knew there was actually a Thompson made in caliber .351 Winchester - and why? I know this caliber is shown in the 1923 Catalog, but I believe most experts doubted its existence.

I liked it but it was a bit shy on details and pics of smoking T-guns. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I can tell you why the French were interested in the .351 Winchester round. During WWI they bought a bunch of Winchester Model 1907's in that caliber for airplane (to airplane) use before MG's became common. They also bought a ton of ammo in that caliber and so were probably looking for some common to what they had and with more punch/range than 9mm Parabellum.

I had a Model 1907 - what a clunker that was. I got rid of it with no regrets.

QUOTE (TD. @ Oct 30 2006, 05:24 PM)
Colt Thompsons in French Service?

You can buy them cheap, only dropped once. never fired. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

alot of those french thompson's ended up in german service.till the stock's of 45 acp ammo ran out, i alway's liked the pic of that afrika corp cycle trooper with the 1928 and the drum..probably just took it off a brit tommy at tobruk.

ah fritz!! now have to put "Sahara" in the d.v.d. and take out Elvira.

take care,ron

Skoda,

You are absolutely correct. The Winchester M1907 is a clunker, especially when compared to a M16. A TSMG is also a clunker when compared to a H&K MP5.

Y ou have to remember that the M1907 was available in 1907, the M16 was not.

The TSMG was available in 1921 , the MP5 was not.

Like the TSMG the M1907 was made the old way, heavy duty milled steel and wood.

Like the TSMG the M07 was adapted by law enforcement thruout the US,including the FBI and the border patrol.

The 351 cartridge is near perfect for police use. Winchester should have chambered it for the 357 cartridge in 1935.

The bottom line is , the M07 was available when needed. Its only Short comming was , it was not featured in movies.

Mike,

If you reload and havea small lathe , you can make perfect 351 cases by turning the rims of 357 maximun cases.

C-H Dies sells reloading dies for the 351.

Berry Bullets 38 SPL RN bullets can be sized to 351.

16 grains of 2400 powder and your all set.

Seat the bullets long like factory 351 ammo.

Jim

Skoda,

You are absolutely correct. The Winchester M1907 is a clunker, especially when compared to a M16. A TSMG is also a clunker when compared to a H&K MP5.

Y ou have to remember that the M1907 was available in 1907, the M16 was not.

The TSMG was available in 1921 , the MP5 was not.

Like the TSMG the M1907 was made the old way, heavy duty milled steel and wood.

Like the TSMG the M07 was adapted by law enforcement thruout the US,including the FBI and the border patrol.

The 351 cartridge is near perfect for police use. Winchester should have chambered it for the 357 cartridge in 1935.

The bottom line is , the M07 was available when needed. Its only Short comming was , it was not featured in movies.

Mike,

If you reload and havea small lathe , you can make perfect 351 cases by turning the rims of 357 maximun cases.

C-H Dies sells reloading dies for the 351.

Berry Bullets 38 SPL RN bullets can be sized to 351.

16 grains of 2400 powder and your all set.

Seat the bullets long like factory 351 ammo.

Jim