Well, It May Be True

Today in a conversation with a very reliable ATF agent an amazing story has emerged.

The agents said (and I have no reason to not believe him) that some months ago he received a call from a local scuba diver who said that he had been diving on a liberty ship from WW II and discovered a whole intact shipment of Thompsons. Now the quantity mentioned was 10,000 guns.

Allegedly, the diver told the agent that the guns were still packed in cosmoline grease and (can you believe it?) in perfect shape. Obviously, the diver would not identify himself and, not surprisingly, the agent did his duty by advising the diver that 1) the guns would be unregistered and, therefore, contraband and 2) in any event they wewre probably still Government property so if recovered would be seized on bot counts.

Now who knows if any of this is true or not.

I'm just posting this in the spirit of passing it along for what it's worth.

I am not a scuba diver and know very little about this hobby. However, I would think that most of the transport ships sank by German U-Boats carrying supplies to England and Europe would have been in very deep water. If that is the case, then the limitations of depth a scuba diver can submerge would certainly make this story unlikely. It seems like I have heard a story similiar to this several years ago.

I would think Thompson's packed in cosmoline submerged in very very deep water may very well be intact. However, the closer to the surface, I would think 50 years would have pretty much destroyed everything. Of course, I am just guessing as I have no expertise in this area.

Any divers out there?

I am a diver and the chances of guns being in perfect condition after 50 years in recreational depth 130 ft or less wouuld be doubtful.

Even steel shipping containers would have deteriorated.

Look at the Andrea Doria sank in 1957 at 230 ft and now all metal inside is in very poor condition. Now on the other hand if a ship in one of the Great lakes in 130ft of fresh very cold water that would be a different story.

I'm also a diver and agree with cavediver. Cold fresh water would certainly give the Thompson's a better chance. Cosmoline is pretty tough stuff, as most of us who have tried cleaning military surplus rifles know, but I doubt it or they would survive intact. I'm sure the Gov't has done studies on this. Anyone know of any?

Maybe they were the 24k gold plated "Historical Society" guns! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

I'm sure the salt would have reduced them to rust by now. Maybe the Blish locks are still good; aren't they made out of bronze?

It is sad to know that 10,000 of the fine guns were lost like this.

I wonder how the wood looks? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

Norm

There was some obscure "syndicated" show a few years ago about a treasure hunter, loosely based upon "Tomb Hunter" who was diving on a wreck and found a bunch of Thompsons (they even showed a fake damaged one). Thing is it was fiction, someone might be mixing reality with fiction and spreading it as truth.

....someone might be mixing reality with fiction and spreading it as truth.

Sounds like most politicians to me! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Norm

QUOTE (giantpanda4 @ Nov 16 2006, 01:14 PM)
Frank - did he include info on where he got these?

Bet it was Sarco's hand pick bin! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I was at the Pensacola Air Museum several years ago and saw a display of a plane that went down , I believe, in one of the Great Lakes. It had been under water for decades. Part of the display was the Browning machineguns that had been on board. Other than some very light surface pitting, the guns were functional and visually appealing. The water was of course was fresh, deep and cold. I don't think the ocean would be quite as forgiving.

Tman,

Quick question: Would any of the top three Thompson's in the picture be legal to own in the US with no paperwork assuming they were rusted completely shut? I have heard one BATFE test involves 'readily convertible to fire?' It does not look like these rusted out hulks would be in that condition.

Thanks,

Quite a difference between deep freshwater (which tends to preserve stuff at cold temperatures) and Saltwater at any depth or temperature....

I recall a National Geographic magazine about five years ago that showed a diver who had recovered a 28 Thompson from a transport that sank in the pacific (40-50 feet, I think?) and it was barely recognizable as a 28....a ball of rust! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

be interesting to see pix, though!

john

QUOTE (TD. @ Nov 15 2006, 09:52 PM)
I am not a scuba diver and know very little about this hobby. However, I would think that most of the transport ships sank by German U-Boats carrying supplies to England and Europe would have been in very deep water.

don't know much about the battle of the atlantic do you?

in the early days it was a turkey shoot over here for the u boats, with many many ships being sunk with in sight of land.