Chopper Vs Chopper

They are easy to bring down. One of our county choppers was forced down after hitting a kite. The string was monofilament and wrapped around the main rotor shaft. Lost power and went down in the river, pilot was unhurt. Later that year I was on a photo mission in one of our other choppers and we hit a kite over a local park. Fortunately the kite was attached by string and cut clean without consequences or repercussions. We asked the sergeant if we could claim it a s a kill. He was not amused.

Arthur, thanks for the memories. Mannix was one show I never missed. Starring Mike "Touch" Connors who played basketball at UCLA under coach John Wooden when they were still taking "set-shots".

Helicopters, I hate them and I vowed I will never go up in one again.

Doug mentioned "From Russia With Love", one of my favorite Bond films. Yes, they used an early Armalite AR-7, made in Costa Mesa CA. to take out the chopper. Also used earlier in the film by Pedro Armendariz. The same gun was later used in "Goldfinger" by the beautiful actress Tania Mallett who was trying to wack Goldfinger because he killed her sister.

I have the same gun with the very difficult to find solid brown stock. What was even more difficult to find was the correct scope they had on the gun used in the film. It took me years to find one and I have never seen another one show up anywhere. A few pics from my collection to illustrate.

Mike Hammer

Edited by Mike Hammer

Arthur, thanks for the memories. Mannix was one show I never missed. Starring Mike "Touch" Connors who played basketball at UCLA under coach John Wooden when they were still taking "set-shots".

Mike Hammer

Check out this 2007 article on "Mannix."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/16/AR2007111600181.html

Mannix with Angel Tompkins. Johnny Carson's girlfriend. Keeping with the basketball metaphor, Joe perfected the easy lay-up.

From my brief time flying these I am quite certain this one could ruin anyone's day shooting at it with a Thompson or lever action rifle. :)

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/roscoeturner/ee93921e-299b-450f-8e9d-cc7b6460358a_zps842d37dc.jpg

Doug mentioned "From Russia With Love", one of my favorite Bond films. Yes, they used an early Armalite AR-7, made in Costa Mesa CA. to take out the chopper. Also used earlier in the film by Pedro Armendariz. The same gun was later used in "Goldfinger" by the beautiful actress Tania Mallett who was trying to wack Goldfinger because he killed his sister.

I have the same gun with the very difficult to find solid brown stock. What was even more difficult to find was the correct scope they had on the gun used in the film. It took me years to find one and I have never seen another one show up anywhere. A few pics from my collection to illustrate.

Mike Hammer

Mike, great movie (and gun) memorabilia, Connery was always my Favorite Bond, Congrats!

so......what IS that very rare correct scope?

Thanks,

Nick

From my brief time flying these I am quite certain this one could ruin anyone's day shooting at it with a Thompson or lever action rifle. :)

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/roscoeturner/ee93921e-299b-450f-8e9d-cc7b6460358a_zps842d37dc.jpg

The chopper fit for a Prince.

Apache brought down by a Yeti throwing a snowball?

Mike Hammer

Check out this 2007 article on "Mannix."

For the first couple of seasons of "Mannix", he carried a Walther PP in a unique wire holster. I wanted one of those so much, right after an U.N.C.L.E. gun (but of course those both took a distant second place to Saunders '28).

You can see the Walther in the opening, where he does a roll, and comes up firing.

Then suddenly he started carrying a plain old .38, like a real True Detective.

Mannix also holds the record for the longest "crossover" time span, where he shows up in a "Murder she wrote", 25 years after his show ended.

Apache brought down by a Yeti throwing a snowball?

That second video was a prime example of running out of brains and altitude all at the same time. :)

Arthur,

Fairy tales do come true, she grew up and married helicopter pilot. :)

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/roscoeturner/kate-middleton-a-800_zpsw8ajzqkl.jpg

The guy even pumps his own gas for the EC145 T2 Air Ambulance. Kate loves the smell of petrol in the morning. Smells like......VICTORia......

Arthur,- Mike H.

Regarding the 2007 article on the release of the Mannix series.

All 8 years were released in 2012 and are available from Amazon.

In case you didn't know.

Jim C

Yes. One of the special features in the DVD is an interview with Mike and Joseph Campanella who was his boss in the first season at Intertect.

Arthur, Nice pic. of Angel T! Conners is really checking her out isn't he.

Nick, I can't tell you what scope is on the gun unless you have double O clearance, and Q advised me not to say a word.

Doug, Q said the AR-7 was a "one Off" in .25 cal., keep looking. Haaa!

I also have in my collection the same gun Connery used in the iconic promotional photos for "Dr. No" and which have been used ever since. There is a story behind why this gun was used, and yes, it is a pellet gun!

Mike Hammer

Edited by Mike Hammer

Arthur,

Fairy tales do come true, she grew up and married helicopter pilot. :)

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/roscoeturner/kate-middleton-a-800_zpsw8ajzqkl.jpg

And I bet he really stuck that landing. Edited by mnshooter

Nick: Unless you can tell me the correct password to the "SafeHouse" in Milwaukee Wis, (my last contact) I can only assume that you are actually an agent of "SPECTRE"., or would it be "SMERSH", the use of "Comrade" is a dead giveaway. You don't by any chance have blond hair do you "old man"????? You must excuse me, I have a couple of other things to do that just can't wait...... Mike Hammer

Edited by Mike Hammer