Form 4 Transfer Time

Stampcollector

The checks don't sit forever - they get processed but unless the current onslaught of FFL generated checks subsides they will always take a back seat. Another option would be for ATF to stand up their own background check group and handle their own business. (much easier said than done)

Or maybe not do background checks on folks that have FFL's but not SOT's? Seems odd, but it's true. I'm waiting for a pair with an FFL number on the forms (no SOT) and waiting on a background check? This is not an anomaly, it's happened several times before?

As if mailing in an additional check once a year for an SOT makes everything all good? LOL

That would be a waste - maybe not consequential in the grand scheme of things, but no reason to add to the pile. Did you include print cards with the applications? That's where the identifiers for the checks come from (not collected on the application itself and the form instructions indicate no FPCs for licensees so at least in theory an FFL transfer should not get rejected due to lacking cards). Another possibility would be someone giving you the canned answer of the day "it's the background check" without noticing there is an FFL transferee. I've read for years on internet boards that background checks caused delays @ NFA but it wasn't actually the case until recently except for a brief period in 2009-2010. At that time, there was widespread distress and predictions of an industry collapse due to an 89 day F4 average turnaround. That was a pretty good problem to have.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the smartest thing I did was to get an SOT. Incoming guns are a fraction of the time. 14 days for my latest three Form 5s. Form 4s run a couple months and eForm 3s are almost instantaneous. It beats the hell out of the 13 months I waited for my first suppressor.

I think the smartest thing I did was to get an SOT. Incoming guns are a fraction of the time. 14 days for my latest three Form 5s. Form 4s run a couple months and eForm 3s are almost instantaneous. It beats the hell out of the 13 months I waited for my first suppressor.

I thought the same thing until I sat through my first audit, thinking this should be done in 20 minutes. Few hours later, she busted out her lunch bag, took lunch, and burned up most of the rest of my day.....less than 20 transactions for the year. I have friends that have spent 3 days. I miss it sometimes, but other times it's a burden. There are other ways. Or maybe one day they're back to 30-45 days........just kidding, I don't think I'll live that long at this point to see that again?

You are required to actually operate a business right?? The sot cannot be used just for your own transactions according to the ATF rules??

Just got off the phone with ATF.

Was informed that the form 4 for my Colt BAR was approved on July 11.

Went pending on Jan 22.

171 days.

Jim C

Too exciting. Post some pictures when you get it. Let me know if you need anything, Jim.

Eric

You are required to actually operate a business right?? The sot cannot be used just for your own transactions according to the ATF rules??

Absolutely. You need to collect and pay sales taxes and have an occupational license. I also have $2 Million in liability insurance. All that being said, I have been able to easily pay all of the out of pocket costs and then some off of the profits. I sell a decent number of suppressors. One stop shop, get a trust and buy a suppressor. I also do a reasonable amount of title 1 sales. I am trying to get more into buying estate collections. I don't think I could give up my law practice by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a nice diversion from that. Plus, it gives me access to dealer samples that I wouldn't ordinarily have.

I actually ordered a Hi Point carbine for someone today. What I won't do to keep the lights on. The horror of it all is that the customer drives a Porsche and hunts Africa nearly every year. It wasn't a money thing. He actually wanted one.

• 2 weeks later...

I threw in the towel this week on the FN Scar 16 SBR that I've been waiting on for 500+ days. There is no penetrating the FBI unit doing backgrounds for the ATF. My SOT and I agreed to cancel the transaction and reapply. IF there is no problem I should get the rifle after 2 years.

Edited by RogerD

i have yet to have a efile form 3 go less than 14 days...3 in a row now ---all exactly 14 days

still waiting for the magical 1-2 day transfer to happen for me :(

That sucks. I just did one a week or so ago, and it was a day and a half. And I screwed up on the first submission, and had to call in!

I called today on one submitted approx 7/1/17. Still waiting on a background check........same answer over 2 months ago. In the meantime about 6 weeks ago another was approved, again after a substantial wait in the background check dept. Clearly no form collusion in the system. I don't think John Brennan waited that long for his security clearance and look how that turned out........hmm, on second thought maybe they've stretched out the times intentionally? LOL