My M1a1 Thompson

I bought the GI Bringback - Amnesty registered M1A1 in November...on day 33 of "pending"...i can't wait to get it!

I have been reading some past topics and have learned a great deal about this weapon...and am still trying to locate a copy of American Thunder to learn more. I have learned from you RKIs that it is Savage built sometime in April or May 1943. Since it was "stolen" by the veteran in 1943 it never went to be rebuilt. I also believe that it is exactly as it came from the factory because it has been inone man's hands for 60 years and he is WAY too cheap to spend money to change it! RON MILLS commented that the modifications standard on the later weapons and applied to the thompsons during rebuild were "for the better"

My Thompson has the following attributes: Non Cross-drilled stock, unmarked lower with 28 style selectors and mag release, FULL AUTO on one line instead of two, blued (not bright) bolt.

I believe AMERICAN THUNDER lists the attributes my gun DOES NOT have as the "ideal".

When i get it should i buy a parts kit and add these modifications (including a M1 bolt) before firing it...or are these modifications not really important?

Thanks in advance, Bryan

post-3-1074223575.jpg

USMC-2-USN,

Nice pictures of your gun. The Full Auto on one line would indicate a grip frame of Auto-Ordnance Corp (AOC) manufacture, not Savage.

The receiver should have either AOC or S stamped on the underside just forward of the magazine well near the grip mount. If it is stamped AOC, the gun was made at the Auto-Ordnance facility in Bridgeport, CT.

If the receiver has an S stamp, that means the gun was more than likely rebuilt at some point prior to issue to the GI who kept it all these years.

The 1928 style selection levers would be "correct" for an early M1 series gun, as well as the non-crossbolt stock.

The attributes you have on the gun are the more desireable type and function just as well as the later production guns. The later style modicications (pin type selectors and fixed firing pin bolt) were strictly for ease of production and reduced cost, not for improved function of the gun.

The receiver has an "S" stamped just rear of the magwell. Also the front sight has a square looking "S" I have not broken the gun down to inspect internals to see if they are "S" marked

The gun was acquired in July 1943 by the veteran...if it was built in May of that same year that does not leave much time for a rebuild...or reason.

Could the lower possibly be a leftover from the M1 production...and is AOC the only MFR that put the FULL AUTO on one line? Does anybody besides Mike (FULL AUTO 45) have pictures of a M1A1 in close proximity of serial number to mine?

Thanks

USMC-2-USN,

Without going into too much detail here, I would suggest you try to obatin a copy of American Thunder (I know you are trying to get one) and read it your leisure. Yes, Auto-Ordnance was the only manufacturer that placed the Full Auto on one line. The only other manufacturer was Savage and they placed Full Auto on two lines. The receiver is obvioulsy Savage made.

The gun was possibly rebuilt at some field armory facility while in service. The frame could have been swapped with another while the gun was being cleaned in the field. GI's didn't pay attention to the serial numbers of parts when they cleaned or repaired weapons.

The Auto-Ordnance made guns had a variety of subcontracted parts used to put them together, except the receiver and frame. They generally would match when the came from the factory.

Your gun is fine as is. It is original and you have a documented history to go with it. Enjoy it and shoot it in good health.

GiJive,

I think your explanation accounts for the AO frame. So at some point an AO frame from an M1 with early rocker pivots was swapped for the original M1A1 Savage frame. The buttstock should have a reinforcing bolt. If this were rebuilt at some point, that may account for the lack of marks since they would have been stamped on the crossbolt stock. Who knows what this vet did with, or to, the gun since 1943. The guy must be in his 80's. I doubt he remembers what happened 50 to 60 years ago regarding his own wedding, never mind parts on his Thompson.

I believe AMERICAN THUNDER lists the attributes my gun DOES NOT have as the "ideal".
USMC

It is not that you do not have the "ideal" parts, you just don't have some of the original M1A1 ones. Replacing any of the parts with later production parts would be a giant step backwards in regards to originality and quality.

The only thing I might consider would be an M1 bolt, just because it is safer- especially if you hand load.

Beautiful gun; I’m jealous. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

One thing on the gun that I would change and I'm suprised no one saw this. You should change the ownership from you to me! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I wouldn't change a thing.

This gun is exactly the way it came from the factory and that is very rare. I'd certainly resist the urge to tamper. Other than possibly replacing the bolt spring, there are no improvements to be made. This is where the term "never collector messed with" comes into play!

Best regards for a long and happy ownership.

I would change the fixed firing pin bolt with a M1 bolt (for safty reasons). I had a round go off before the bolt was completly closed once & what "Fireworks" did happen (so close to my face too)! It's a easy fix to return the orginal bolt back if you want to later. Just my .02 cents worth.