Thompson Canvas Items - Upcoming Pinned Post

All,

I plan to start another pinned post at the top of the Thompson Board, and want to post an outline first, to solicit input from board members. The new pinned post will be similar to the Box and Drum Magazine Pinned Post that I started in early November, and will feature Thompson canvas items. I think this would be a very useful resource for the board, and I look forward to the involvement of as many who wish to contribute content. Think of it as a “virtual gun show,” where you have the chance to show your collection to others.

My plan is to document the following with photos and text:

Early Mills canvas items

- XX Mag Pouches

- Thompson Buttstock Pouch

- L-Drum Pouches

- C-Drum Pouches

- Carrying Cases

- Parts Bag

Early Rusco canvas items (I also have some advertising content to feature with this section)

Web Slings (3 Types)

U.S. WWII Era Manufacturers: I want to document as many different manufacturers as possible for the following items:

- 4-Cell XX Mag Pouches

- 5-Cell XX Mag Pouches (Also show differences between Thompson and Reising varieties)

- 3-Cell XXX Mag Pouches

- Magazine Bags

- Canvas Parts Bags

- Carrying Cases and Covers

- L-Drum Pouches

Rigger Thompson Pouches

British Thompson Canvas Items

- Home Guard Pouches

- Pattern 37 Pouches

- Action Covers

Berrien County XXX Mag Pouch

I will also want to document as many reproduction canvas items as possible, and depending upon variety of reproduction items, may include such items in both the Canvas Pinned Post, and the Reproduction Accessory Pinned Post. I am particularly interested in documenting reproduction items, so that as few collectors as possible will mistake them for originals.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten some items in my list above, since I’m going from memory, so if anyone has other content suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

What about these?

20 rd

http://www.warrelics.com/WebPhotos/c/C4774C.jpg

I believe they made one for a 30 rd mag as well.

Hawkeye_Joe,

Yes, those will be included under "Carrying Cases and Covers." Thanks for your post. I'm working on the canvas pinned post right now, and have a lot of content to start with. It should be on the board by the afternoon.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Sig/GIJive,

Thanks for all the files you sent me for the canvas pinned post. I spent a couple of hours on it today already, and am trying to locate some additional pictures of mine that I want to include, as well as take some pictures of my items. We wil have a very good start on this reference post when I get it uploaded. I will upload it tonight, whether I have all the initial content included, or not. It will continue on as a work in progress.

Thanks!

David

Great idea for a pinned post, thanks D!

So my story on canvas is, years ago I walked into Vollmer's in Bloomington, IL and calmly asked Fred if he had any Thompson canvas (I knew he did). He retreated into the back and returned with a huge armful of original Mills/Rusco carrying canvas, Avery L drum canvas, and more goods that I don't remember. He looked at me and simply said "$300". I couldn't peel 'em off fast enough. I do remember moving the lot for $1200+, and like a dummy didn't keep anything. Tracie Hill bought one of the Mills/Rusco outfits. Our Respected Member Ron knows the canvas biz inside and out, but maybe he ain't talkin'...wink! (Previous phrase borrowed from Respected Ron, all rights reserved).

my canvas days are long over.all that i have left is a 50 round case and drum.sold off everything in the last year.{ and if i ever decide to sell the replica tommy the drum and case willgo with it. i'm working on the last of the guns now.

since i have been sent a message, have something reliable to shoot. and sell the safe queen's.and prepare!

and yes Ron i miss old Fred..and the great shop. when i was in the inner sanctum...i got to gaze at all his diamond's, and gold and the neat rolexe's.

and his Thompson's in the backroom wood rack.times now long gone.

a good canvas pinned post is great.save's alot of the whats this and that? question's

to each his own.Ron

my canvas days are long over.all that i have left is a 50 round case and drum.sold off everything in the last year.{ and if i ever decide to sell the replica tommy the drum and case willgo with it. i'm working on the last of the guns now.

since i have been sent a message, have something reliable to shoot. and sell the safe queen's.and prepare!

and yes Ron i miss old Fred..and the great shop. when i was in the inner sanctum...i got to gaze at all his diamond's, and gold and the neat rolexe's.

and his Thompson's in the backroom wood rack.times now long gone.

a good canvas pinned post is great.save's alot of the whats this and that? question's

to each his own.Ron

All,

The canvas item pinned post is now featured at the top of the Thompson Board. I am overwhelmed with the amount of content that was sent to me today, and will do my best to get it all sorted, sized, uploaded, described, and posted as soon as possible. Please bear with me while I get all the formatting, etc. fine-tuned, and more content posted. I know this will end up being a great resource for us all, and the amount I learned studying it all today has made it well worth the time.

Take a look at it when you can...I bet you'll notice some items you've never seen before...

As always, suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

All,

The canvas item pinned post is now featured at the top of the Thompson Board. I am overwhelmed with the amount of content that was sent to me today, and will do my best to get it all sorted, sized, uploaded, described, and posted as soon as possible. Please bear with me while I get all the formatting, etc. fine-tuned, and more content posted. I know this will end up being a great resource for us all, and the amount I learned studying it all today has made it well worth the time.

Take a look at it when you can...I bet you'll notice some items you've never seen before...

As always, suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Before I take all my pics and send em to you.... Just a suggestion, you will probably have to make multiple pages as otherwise you will have one lonnnnnnngggg page. One link to drum canvas, one to stick mage etc.. jmvhp

Before I take all my pics and send em to you.... Just a suggestion, you will probably have to make multiple pages as otherwise you will have one lonnnnnnngggg page. One link to drum canvas, one to stick mage etc.. jmvhp

Deathompson,

If that's what it takes, I'll do it. (It's a very good thing to be dealing with too much content, rather than too little!) There may also be some formatting I can do to make it better.

Thanks!

David

• 1 month later...

All,

OK, I think I've now posted everything that members have submitted to me for content in the Thompson Canvas Item Pinned Post at the top of the board. Many thanks to all who submitted pictures and information. I have a couple more items I'll post soon, but I wanted to put the word out again for everyone to check out all the canvas items that are now posted. If you have something that I forgot, or that is not included in the pinned post, please let me know. It certainly has documented a lot of them, and I hope it will serve as a resource for all of us, as well as a fun way to share our Thompson collectibles.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

If you have something that I forgot, or that is not included in the pinned post, please let me know.

I didn't see any reference to Pacific Canvas & Leather Co., Inc. in your list of reproducers. I just bought 3 of their "contour cases".

http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/car...se/pcl_41_m.htm

Edited by rongee

If you have something that I forgot, or that is not included in the pinned post, please let me know.

I didn't see any reference to Pacific Canvas & Leather Co., Inc. in your list of reproducers. I just bought 3 of their "contour cases".

http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/car...se/pcl_41_m.htm

rongee,

Thanks for the tip...I added that manufacturer to the list in the pinned post. Looks like they make nice stuff, but I just don't know how to tell them from the originals. When you get your contour cases, will you let me know if they have a specific "maker's mark" that may help in identification of the repros?

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

rongee,

Thanks for the tip...I added that manufacturer to the list in the pinned post. Looks like they make nice stuff, but I just don't know how to tell them from the originals. When you get your contour cases, will you let me know if they have a specific "maker's mark" that may help in identification of the repros?

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David,

That stuff is made either in China or Pakistan, it doesn't take a lot of experience to tell the difference. Most of it is not all that close to being a correct reproduction.