Help: Is This A Phil. Ordnance Dummy Receiver? (solved: Not Philly)

The seller got it from someone else, so he's unsure of the manufacturer. Says it's steel, though.

I think it's from Philadelphia Ordnance, but I'd like to be certain before I purchase it.

The pictures aren't great, so I had trouble comparing it to the photos at the Phil. Ord. site. Could someone ID it for me? Thanks

http://www.fototime.com/463F81F9EBC673F/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/42508CD3F393B90/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/2BDB54A65AF60E7/orig.jpg

Edited by richard w.

I would say it is NOT a Philly receiver. The ejection port is small in length of cut, is not back far enough.

I can't say who made it, but Weaponeer had sold a lot of subgun dummys in steel which would take machine work just to bring them up to being useful.

Of coarse I am only guessing. Check with Bob at Philly.

Weasel

No, that is not a Philly O receiver. There are several features - the engraving

is too big, the magazine cut out has 90 degree square corners (as opposed to

radiused corners), the feed ramp does not appear to be machined, the ejection

port is too short....

Way back in 1986 when I first coined the term "80 machined" it was to

distinguish that the Phila Ord receiver was ordnance-strength,

ordnance-specification, ordnance-quality - in other words, an ordnance grade

receiver that was not finished. As opposed to a "dummy" or "replica" receiver

which was the only thing available at the time.

"80% receiver" has become part of the language and is widely used but

was originally intended to identify ordnance vs. toy quality.

Bob/Philly O

I just bought one of Recon's 28 receivers. Haven't received it yet, but anxiously waiting for it. It will be a display used at my home with a parts kit gun. It is finished in military blue with all the stampings excluding the Colt stuff. It will be inscribed with the serial number of the Savage lower frame and have the blish lock channels machined in. I expect it to be pretty handsome on my fireplace mantle.

Darryl

I would guess that reciever is one of the aluminum ones that were sold by R Guns and Sportsman's Guide. The ejection port looks the same, as does the black anodized finish and the stampings. These had a hole for the barrel that was a press fit, not threaded. They lacked any provision for the buffer and had a smooth steel actuator knob that was glued on in the cocked position.

I would guess that reciever is one of the aluminum ones that were sold by R Guns and Sportsman's Guide. The ejection port looks the same, as does the black anodized finish and the stampings. These had a hole for the barrel that was a press fit, not threaded. They lacked any provision for the buffer and had a smooth steel actuator knob that was glued on in the cocked position.

Some were even oversized so that the barrel would not press it, but flop around in the hole. Gotta love Sportsmansguide! It does look like one of their aluminum receivers and I would recommend waiting and getting a high quality steel one. My aluminum receiver is worth more in scrap value than as a dummy receiver.

- Ron