Neat "special Purpose" Thompson

I found this neat little Thompson in an August 2007 issue of Small Arms Review that my uncle gave me. It says under the picture that its a shortened "Special Purpose" M1 Thompson designed for Commando Forces and that heat shield on the front isn't muzzle break or suppressor but it acts as your front grip.

I've seen Thompson pistols before but never something this small. Anyone ever see this before? I tried to research it but found NOT ONE bit of info on it. I'd like to know what commando force used these and when. Its a pretty cool little gun.

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/M...ka/GEDC1688.jpg

Edited by WillieWonkaM60

Hopefully somebody can also explain the purpose of the two lugs on the side of the receiver.

Maybe a wire stock like the G gun?

Hmmmmm.... both 28 and M1 variants. I think they both have shortened receivers too... wonder what is inside them?

It almost looks like the goofy Thompsons they used in U-571 or whatever they called that stupid sub movie a few years ago.

Jay

It almost looks like the goofy Thompsons they used in U-571 or whatever they called that stupid sub movie a few years ago.

Jay

I think that was a folding stock Reising (Model 55), not a Thompson.

Actually, I believe they were using Thompsons with the side-folding stock in that movie.

Jay

I think that was a folding stock Reising (Model 55), not a Thompson.

Actually, I believe they were using Thompsons with the side-folding stock in that movie.

This is a M55. They may have used Thompsons as well. I distinctly remember the M55.

U571_2.jpg

Edited by texasvwnut

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...