Thompson by X-Ray...

Several years ago I had my Thompson radiographed to check for receiver cracks. The guys at Technical Welding Inspections of Kuttawa, KY, were gun enthusiasts, and we had fun messing with the Tommy. Here are a few of the X-rays developed for differing parts of the gun...

http://www.pbase.com/darklightimagery/xray

TSMG1928 X-RAY Middle.jpg

TSMG1928 X-RAY Stock.jpg

• Upvote 1

It was too long, but I am working on a larger version...

Back in the day with the EOD, we used a portable machine to X Ray captured weapons, in case they were booby trapped, a 'trick' some of the opposition used to use.

We had some taken of Thompson's captured in Ireland, but I never thought of keeping them, in fact the only one I have is a training X Ray of an AK..

I may try that with my x-ray machine on the guns. I'm not sure if I can open it up enough to capture the entire weapon, but as it's a digital machine, it won't hurt to try.

Very cool - would make a great art print!

Looks a lot like what I saw on the monitor of the Federal Building in Ann Arbor when I took teh local branch of BATFE a 1928 for them to "assist in my transfer...". They screened everyone's items that were carried in. I asked the guard if he ever saw something like that come in before! He did not even smile... and I never did get it back!

Those x-rays are so cool. Wouldn't it be awesome if you could take x-ray video while the gun is firing? You could actually see the interaction of the various parts at full speed.

• 1 year later...

Just saw this thread. Interesting Xray. I've been CAT scanning my firearms since 2010 and working them up into prints. I found that my $750k CT machine generates superior source images from which to make prints.

This is my buddies 1921. The pics of the print arent the best but you get the idea. This design was custom made for another board member a couple years ago as a larger very limited (as in one) edition print but I still make the 10" x 20" prints of this same firearm.

I don't know the rules here in the forum bc I'm new here so I dont want to step on any toes and seem that Im shilling my wares here or whatnot. That's not the case. But just letting you all know I do have these prints along with many other MGs with a focus on my HK collection. The mods can or you can tell me if and where I can post info about how to buy them if they want.

Took a lot of effort and work to get it right. Later tonight actually I'm generating source scans for the HK UMP which I hope will come out nicely. Each gun has its own scanning protocol which I tinker with. Some come out great while others are OK. Depends on size and densities of materials present and how much overlap of structures exist. I guess Ive scanned and worked up about 50 into prints. Most are my transferables or sear host guns but of course I've hit up my friends for their good stuff as well.

Anyway you might find these interesting.

-Houston

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h440/rhouston8/il_570xN497669038_5x44_zps709bb9d5.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h440/rhouston8/il_570xN497668920_odcd_zps86cdec00.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h440/rhouston8/il_570xN497669010_1axx_zps26411ba0.jpg

If be interested in buying one. Where are you. If I have any 'models' you haven't scanned yet and your near by Id be glad to lend a hand. I'm in south Florida. Edited by Kilroy

It would be cool to see a thermograph of a TSMG before and after

emptying a magazine through it.