"What makes it a reprint?" The color and condition... And with no returns even for misrepresentation you will own it real of not.

Look at the condition of the real one the seller also has: "ORIGINAL THOMPSON MACHINE GUNS CATALOG"

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

Current ebay auction. It looks like these have been reproduced by someone. Did DR reprint these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190847133724?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

What makes it a reprint?

Is it a reprint? I'm not sure, but the condition makes it immediately suspect to me. These are fairly scarce in any condition.

Considering what it sold for... I hope it was original! Anyone here get it?

Where is Dalbert when we need him?

It looked like an original in such perfect shape that it made most of us think it was a repro. That, and some questionable interaction by the seller with one member here fostered additional apprehension. I did not bid on it. I lean toward it being original, based on the other items he had up for auction. If it is, someone got a very good deal. If it's not, then we have a new item to add to the repro list.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

You are good with the color? Are the illustrations in you book color correct? You have to remember this is not acid free paper bwdik?

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

David and I have not spoken about this item. I did speak with another board member, about the item.

From the moment I was pointed to this item, I believed it to be an original, in obviously excellent condition. Yes the color looks off, which rightly or wrongly I attributed to lighting, angle, time of day, not a photo expert in any way. Even when looking and comparing to the other catalog item offered and it's colors, still just felt it to be a lighting type issue. In fact I was so convinced it was original I put a bid in, one reason I chose not to comment further, prior to bid closing. BTW I did not win, this item. My bid on the 1921 Handbook reflected that I already own this edition, so it was low but I am with Dave, someone got a deal. The pictures in the book are color correct.

When things are too perfect to be true they usually..... Unless this went from publication to archival protection this is an amazing find. There is not one bump to the corners or spine and absolutely no discoloration or foxing to the surface after almost a century of being around. The spine does not even show creasing where the book was ever opened. I would love to see it open to peruse the staples on this one.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/z3bigdaddy/Thompson%20Stuff/1921manuals06042013a_zps957fa75c.jpg

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

Big Daddy,

I agree with your concerns about this handbook being a reprint. But I have never seen an actual size reprint of this handbook. That said, I had never seen a quality reprint of the 1929 catalog until I purchased one sight unseen a few years ago from a very honest ebay seller. The reprint 1929 catalog was of excellent quality and believed to original until compared to a known original by David and me. Shortly thereafter, more of these reprint 1929 catalogs appeared on the market. Serious Thompson paper collectors are now aware of this reprint and know how to identify it. Original 1929 catalogs are very scarce and this quality reprint serves an important purpose for Thompson paper collectors.

I have been tracking that auction since it first appeared on ebay. I contacted the seller and asked for pictures of two inside pages (1 & 16). The seller belatedly told me in so many words that he was too busy to honor my request. That response and the fact I already have this item in my collection made my decision not to bid very easy. Hopefully, the winner is a member of this Board and the answer will be forthcoming soon.

Members of this Board who have David and Michael's fine book on Thompson paper items should have suspected something may be amiss with this handbook. Perfect condition aside, the color difference is obvious. New members to this Board would be wise to purchase this very inexpensive reference book from David while it is still available.

I am in travel status with very limited Internet access. I apologize for being late to the party!

I originally suspected the authenticity of this item because of the condition and color. I respect the research by others more qualified but I have to agree with Z3 and TD on this one. It's just too perfect! Even if stored and untouched for years, it would still show some signs of aging. Who ever bought this holds the answer. Hopefully, they will share.

• 4 weeks later...

hello everyone,

well I'm the one who bought the manual. Have to admit this is the first time I bought something that was so controversial enough to start up its very own thread. cool ;)

Ok, I will try to answer all question the best I can. I'm not a book expert so keep them simple.

first.... my opinion... the manual smells old, the paper doesn't look new, like other high quality repros. On page three there is light foxing or spotting of some sort. some of the other pages have even lighter foxing around edges.

It is my belief that this is an original.

Pages were requested so here you go:

pics are of page cover, 1,16 and 27

James

post-257902-0-58953100-1372472065_thumb.jpg

post-257902-0-65837200-1372472081_thumb.jpg

post-257902-0-88835300-1372472095_thumb.jpg

post-257902-0-71962900-1372472110_thumb.jpg

Edited by JamesD.

JamesD.

You did well. A very nice 3rd edition handbook! I am glad it all worked out. And we do not have another reprint to worry about!

A great post. Thanks!

• 2 years later...

I found this original post about "Reprint". I want you to look at the original Ebay auction in 2013, in the opening forum topic, see the seller and item? This same seller now has the same book again, with the same picture listed on ebay now with a $600 opening bid for a Original Handbook Model of 1921. It is questionable now how he had/has 2 of the Original Rare Handbooks Model of 1921, especially in the condition. Makes you question if the handbooks are actually real or was he just that lucky that his "mom" had two of these extremely rare, but mint books? Not trying to ruin someone's bidding, but this is questionable..

Handbook.PNG

Handbook original ebay.PNG

Yeah, I've been watching this one without knowledge of this old thread thanks for digging it up. I was of the opinion it was a reprint, but did not aske the seller for any more pics as I already have a 1921 manual I am happy with. Has two bids so we'll see what happens. Maybe there is an. Untapped hoard of 1921 manuals in this guys attic?

Ron

Edited by ron_brock

Exactly.

The seller found a CRATE of these originals.

The beauty of paper products is that they self-destruct over time, and most people read them and toss them.

The bad part is...ink is cheap.

They probably printed tons of them....

...redefining our concept of "rare"...Phil