WH Thompson transformation to 1921AC

Guest title ii

Sounds like a great project!

Compensator vs. no compensator? That's purely subjective. Colt's made them both ways.

What's the plan for the present commemorative markings?

Hope you post "after" shots as well!

Guest title ii

Sounds like a great project!

Compensator vs. no compensator? That's purely subjective. Colt's made them both ways.

What's the plan for the present commemorative markings?

Hope you post "after" shots as well!

The plan for the commemorative markings are to be deluxe blued. The gold will go away. It will be going out soon to get the restoration. I will post the after photos for sure!

If you send PK pictures of your Blish slots, I believe he will tell you they are out of spec and need to be completely redone. I don't think shims will fix this issue if my suspicions are correct. I would also measure the pilot hole to see if it is out of spec and by how much. Waiting on PK is definitely worth the wait. I just wish Merle's .22 conversion kit was available during my wait!

Good Luck!

• 5 months later...
Guest title ii

As promised here is a preview of another one of John Andrewski's work of art. Some preliminary photos taken by the man himself. Went with the 1921A set up. All it needs now is a set of wood from Dan to make it complete.

• Upvote 1

that list is what just like what have done to my WH a few years ago, the hardest thing to do for me was to get the inside of the receiver/blish into specs,

The previous owner said he never shot the Thompson and it sat in his safe the entire time he owned it. He got it from the estate of the original owner (a WWII vet) who would have been the one who first fired it outside of any factory test firing in West Hurley, NY.

Anybody know: Did the factory even test fire the Hurleys?

/

/

/

I had a mint unfired WH, which I sold. It did not appear to have been fired ever. They have a thin blue on them and the blue in the blish slots was absolutely 100% pristine.

Edited by buzz

Interesting to me why people don't like the Cutts comp ? In my Thompson world, the wood grip, L drum and Cutts give the Thompson the classic look, you know where I'm coming from tho- Little hard to clean but that's part of the fun.

IMHO, of course.

OCM

I agree with you, a Thompson just doesn't look right to me without the Cutts.

Looks like all the commemorative thompsons are getting de-bling-bling-ed one after the other.

That's great, commemorative guns are not really worth anything as collectable firearms so the best use for them is to make shooters out of them, preferably after a thorough de-bling-ing.

The OP is turning that WH into a real nice gun. Kudos!

Edited by buzz

I have a (2) WHurleys in PK's shop now, a M1 and a 28. He does fantastic work and is a very detailed artistic craftsman as we all know.
He also just finished reworking my Colt-Nac 9 as well, it's stunning! If you can stand the wait, PK is the man!

The only thing I see on title ii's WH that looks a little odd is the checkering on the control levers...the lines per inch isn't right.
Also the actuator should have been blued?

Does John do blish lock rehab?

-Darryl

Edited by darrylta

Guest title ii

I have a (2) WHurleys in PK's shop now, a M1 and a 28. He does fantastic work and is very detailed artistic craftsman as we all know.

He also just finished reworking my Colt-Nac 4 as well, it's stunning! If you can stand the wait, PK is the man!

The only thing I see on title ii WH that looks a little odd is the checkering on the control levers...the lines per inch isn't right.

Does John do blish lock rehab?

-Darryl

Yes, he does repairs to the blish locks, and had to do so for this Thompson. I'll send photos of the before/after internals when I receive it. It was broken down to the bare receiver at the beginning of all the repairs.

How long was your wait for PK?

I believe my waiting period was around 4 years and a couple months. It was well worth it, just carry on with life

and don't worry or fret about it......one day you'll get the email to SEND IT !! What a great surprise that was:-)

The other surprise for me was that his fee was very reasonable after seeing the quality of his work.

My 2 cents,

Darryl

Guest title ii

How much are these commemoratives usually and are they good shooters ?

Seen them a little lower than the average WH starting at around 13K and up from there. This particular one was in the 14K range and was advertised as never fired by the seller. It looked like it had been test fired at some point prior to leaving the factory. Add a 1.4K parts kit and a few grand 2-3K in repairs, shipping costs and nfa taxes and there you have it. After any Thompson has visited PK or Andrewski for repair they by definition are good shooters. Never fired a WH prior to sending it off for repair work given the history. Others can tell you their experience.

I've owned my WH28 for about a year, and have been on PK's list for a little longer. Got a ways to go, I guess. My gun wouldn't shoot too well at the dealers range as it was dirty and dry as a bone. After taking possession and a thorough cleaning and lubing, it shot better but I was getting some failures to fire (light primer hits) once in a while. 3 to 5 per hundred rnds or so. I changed the WH buffer pilot with a Savage one and a neoprene buffer as well as a new recoil spring. After a range day, I had the gun apart for cleaning and noticed a nick on the leading edge of the ejector side lock slot. What the hell? After the next range session and some more FTFs I saw that the nick had grown slightly. Panic stage! My gun is eating itself! OK, settle down now. Now I don't speak for any other WH28 out there, but here's what was happening to mine. The hammer pin was sliding out of the bolt just far enough to hit that lock slot edge sometimes, and slow down the forward bolt speed enough to cause a light primer hit. The hammer pin is harder than hell, too. No damage to the pin or other side of the receiver. Field solution for me, I very lightly staked the hammer pin hole on that side of the bolt so the pin can't exit that side.

I'm keeping a close eye on it, but there's no more damage occurring and I haven't had a FTF in over a thousand rounds. It's still going to PK whenever, but between now and then I'm gonna shoot hell out it and have fun. I think this is the most I've ever written on the boards.

Chief762

I've owned my WH28 for about a year, and have been on PK's list for a little longer. Got a ways to go, I guess. My gun wouldn't shoot too well at the dealers range as it was dirty and dry as a bone. After taking possession and a thorough cleaning and lubing, it shot better but I was getting some failures to fire (light primer hits) once in a while. 3 to 5 per hundred rnds or so. I changed the WH buffer pilot with a Savage one and a neoprene buffer as well as a new recoil spring. After a range day, I had the gun apart for cleaning and noticed a nick on the leading edge of the ejector side lock slot. What the hell? After the next range session and some more FTFs I saw that the nick had grown slightly. Panic stage! My gun is eating itself! OK, settle down now. Now I don't speak for any other WH28 out there, but here's what was happening to mine. The hammer pin was sliding out of the bolt just far enough to hit that lock slot edge sometimes, and slow down the forward bolt speed enough to cause a light primer hit. The hammer pin is harder than hell, too. No damage to the pin or other side of the receiver. Field solution for me, I very lightly staked the hammer pin hole on that side of the bolt so the pin can't exit that side.

I'm keeping a close eye on it, but there's no more damage occurring and I haven't had a FTF in over a thousand rounds. It's still going to PK whenever, but between now and then I'm gonna shoot hell out it and have fun. I think this is the most I've ever written on the boards.

Chief762

My WH is at PK's now.

I was having the problem with the hammer pin coming out and catching in the Blish lock slot. Sometimes so bad I couldn't get the actuator to move! I had to take a rubber mallet and knock it back to unjam it. Not good. I was getting light primer hits as well. The actuator would go forward, but not firing the round.

I'm looking forward to getting it back and functioning like it should.

jpw43,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe one of the Tommysmiths that tune up Westies will weigh in on why this happens. Just curious, tho, which side was catching the pin, and what damage, if any was done? Did you stop shooting the gun until PK could get to it?

Chief762

jpw43,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe one of the Tommysmiths that tune up Westies will weigh in on why this happens. Just curious, tho, which side was catching the pin, and what damage, if any was done? Did you stop shooting the gun until PK could get to it?

Chief762

I was afraid to fire it after that. When looking at the upper reciver from the bottom while it was lying on a table, muzzle pointing away from me, it was on the right side. There was an indentation in the locking channel that the pin got stuck in. I had to push the pin back into the bolt using a long thin flat screwdriver before I could disassemble the firearm.

Chief 762,

The ends of the original hammer pins are slightly domed. Is yours? (If the pin starts to work its way out, that small dome should cause it to cam back into its proper position with each shot.)

I think it is, but I'll check when I get home from work tonight. So you're saying that it's normal for the hammer pin to slide around a bit during firing? The bolt and it's parts are from a Russian parts kit. Has anyone out there with a "real" Thompson had this hammer pin/lock slot problem? Just curious.

Chief 762,

The ends of the original hammer pins are slightly domed. Is yours? (If the pin starts to work its way out, that small dome should cause it to cam back into its proper position with each shot.)

Thanks, man. How long has PK had your gun? And what "style" will it come back looking like?

He just got it about 2 weeks ago. It'll still be a 28 with compensator when finished.

I;m having the barrell and grip mount changed plus the repair work. For some reason the WH has a 3/4 inch foregrip mount.

No kidding. Mine has the1/2 in. grip mount but it's a WH style. Pin was hitting the same side on both guns. When you get it back, post photos. Love to see it.

Chief762