Nice Tommy Pic

0cff22154f50b608f7fda2148de9d534.jpg
Very Nice, here is one carried by a member from the All American Divison in WWII

"All The Way"" 82nd Airborne

Edited by azboater

Regarding the 1st picture. I wonder how the guy was able to readily use his Thompson since it appears the carrying strap is in fact buttoned under his shoulder board!
An additional and intriguing point to me is since these were irregulars and not really accountable for their weapons; I wonder how many Thompsons etc. got stashed after the war rather then turned in?

Jim

Edited by james m

Here's my "guess" on this. Since I'm righthanded, I preferred a "right" side PLF (parachute landing fall). That is first point of contact is balls of the feet, then right calf, right thigh, right upper torso. He may have put the knife there for the "jump" . Secondly he can pull the knife, easily from a kneeling position, keeping the TSMG on target ready to engage.

Here is another photo for all you dog (& Thompson) lovers out there

Caption on photo reads:

"US Marine Private Bruce Rutherford cleaning his Thompson submachine gun

while playing with puppies Nanci, Shoto, Sake, Zero, Banzai, and Okinawa on Okinawa, Japan, 1 Jun 1945"

battle_okinawa62.jpg

Edited by azboater

Caption Reads:

while playing with puppies Nanci, Shoto, Sake, Zero, Banzai, and Okinawa on Okinawa, Japan, 1 Jun 1945"

Interesting. Finned barrel and comp on M1A1. Looks like that could be a vertical grip.

Caption Reads:

Interesting. Finned barrel and comp on M1A1. Looks like that could be a vertical grip.

In-Theater repairs with cannibalized M1928A1 ?

Edited by azboater

Here is a Pre-WWII Marine Photograph:

Caption on photo Reads:

"US Marine Joseph McCarty with a Thompson submachine gun, circa 1930"

weapon_thompson6.jpg

Edited by azboater

AZboater,

Great pictures. Thank you for sharing. I love the pic of the M1 with the 28 finned barrel and compensator. More proof of in Theatre repairs utilizing parts they had on hand. I particularly like how the M1 looks with a finned barrel and comp. Though it's not original, the rarity of the look makes it look cool.

• Upvote 1

Appreciate it, Kocapuff1,

Always great that we can all glean & learn from each other on the board

Edited by azboater

Here are a couple photographs showing M3 tanks & their crews in training

Photo #1.
Caption on photograph:
M3 light tank, crew, and supplies at Fort Benning, Georgia, United States, 18 Dec 1941; Three of the men were L. D. Sample, Harold Postner, and Pelak Gilley

Photo#2.

Caption on photograph:

Corporal Larry Corletti, Private Murril Chapman, and Private Louis Robles practicing abandoning a M3 medium tank at Camp Polk, Louisiana, United States, 12 Feb 1943

vehicle_m3stuart8.jpg

vehicle_m3_13.jpg

Interesting that this guy is right handed (watch) but he wears his knife on the left ankle.

One thing - IF Left handed, Lefties tend to do a mix. I wear my watch on the left, shoot right or left, bat R or L, Because the world is RH, you adapt and overcome. I wear my pistol LH, but carry my rifle RH. Or LH, I carried a knife left and right side.....

some times it can be as simple as he put his knife on the side he could reach with all the other crap he had to jump with. Having made a couplle of jumps, (no real load) I cannot imagine going out the door with that load

Interesting photo. My guess is he is just holding his M1A1 in the Left hand.....

@azboater

That pic with Pvt. Rutherford, TSMG, & pups on the M4A2 is a famous color WWII photo. Something about the Sherman attracts adult critters as well.

I agree, Arthur, Sherman Tanks are great, dogs & Thompson submachine guns together also do it for me

dog & thompson.jpg

battle_okinawa57.jpg

Edited by azboater

Regarding the 1st picture. I wonder how the guy was able to readily use his Thompson since it appears the carrying strap is in fact buttoned under his shoulder board!

An additional and intriguing point to me is since these were irregulars and not really accountable for their weapons; I wonder how many Thompsons etc. got stashed after the war rather then turned in?

Jim

He probably has the sling under the epaulette strap because he (and the rest of the soldiers with him) are standing at attention in review. Also, the Free French army wasn't an irregular force. It was the regular French army in exile.

Edited by Big Al