Can this be real? Unfired?

huggytree

my offer was declined and not even given a counter offer back....my guess is the seller thinks its a $32+k gun....i offered $27k and for someone to not even counteroffer = we much be too far apart

kinda shocked, but ive had this happen before

a guy on the NFA Market board had a FNC for $13,500...i wanted the gun...i offered him $11,500....no counter offer....i upped it to $12,000..no counter offer..then i noticed he changed his AD to read -- REASONABLE offers accepted.......then 4 weeks later (last week) he relisted it for $11k and it sold in 24 hours...he finally came down to earth on his price and lost $1k and i lost a gun i wanted....

i feel this situation will end similarly. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Edited by huggytree

The 1928AC Thompson's sold by Auto-Ordnance and later Maguire Industries are basically parts guns assembled by the original manufacturer. All known sales are to law-enforcement organizations in the 1943 to 1946 timeframe. Unfired? I would be surprised if the so-called Thompson experts really understood this variation.

huggytree, you really need to understand what you're making offers on! There was no standardization of parts on this variation. All configurations could be correct. Or not. An original World War II G.I. issue Thompson gun would be much more valuable. And would need no explanation by a "Thompson expert."

Edited by TD.

i did reoffer $28,000 for the gun....no response

i believe the current owner thinks he has an original finish/original gun-untouched-unfired......ive shown him things ive found on line telling him exactly what he has.........for him not to counter offer to $27 and now $28 tells me he wants $32+...not to counteroffer= im waaaaay off what he wants....

i remember selling a car last winter and i wanted $35k....i had tons of $29k offers....and i saw no purpose of counter offering.......in the gun culture im finding people dont like to leave room for negotiation....id sure be curious what that gun sells for some day.......or if i get a call accepting my offer 30-60 days from now....

Steve's gun was a 2nd place option and im ready to make an offer on it

huggytree,

Just curious what did you end up selling that car you were asking 35k for? You didn't counter the same as the seller of the

Thompson. Unless the price asked is a good and fair deal to start with people want to negotiate on the asking price. Just the art of the deal.

Frank

car sold for $34,250

it was KBB at $37,000 and was only 4 years old, still under PT warranty and had 6,000 miles......it was a 2011 Challenger SRT Inaugural Edition and was a numbered limited edition car..#650 out of #1100 made.....1 of 520 made in the color combo (it came in 2 color combo's and i had the slightly rarer).....i started off way under KBB and left a bit of room to go down.....i had it sold 3x's...1st guy came down with cancer 2 days before he was to fly out and purchase(he had a local inspect already and the deal was done), 2nd guycouldnt get financing, 3rd guy called--offered $33k i countered with $34,250 and it was done in 3 hours.......

any responding i did to those under $30k was very limited...i did respond.....the guy with the Thompson is treating me the same or worse...this tells me he has pie in the sky pricing.....his GB ad starts at $30k...i assumed this was the reserve....it may only be a starting point for him....i know its been listed 3x's now...dont think anyone has bid on it....i did ask him if he had ever had offers on the gun.......i tried not to be rude in my reply last night, but its hard to try to explain to someone they may not have the gun they think they have and that your offer is very generous....i think it may have been overly generous......i dont like to lose when im giving it all i have........all the guy had to do is tell me what he wanted for the gun.......his plan may be to hold onto it for 6 months and keep getting offers before he sells....who knows what plot the seller has

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/1_zpsb16887b5.jpg

Edited by huggytree

I agree.....Steve and I have been emailing back and forth for days...he has another offer coming tonight and i will most likely call him tonight and see if its still available....if so ill make an offer...im sure we can come to an agreement.

You have tunnel vision for this gun. (The first one, not Steves) Let it go. There will be

more guns available.

The seller - and I have seen and known many of them - doesn't care. He wants his

price. Of course we all know that after holding out with you he may sell it to someone

else at a lower price. Such is life.

This reminds me of the guys who cart their stuff to gun shows over and over and

over with prices so high they will never sell the stuff and never do. You try to explain

to them that no, a 30-rd mag is not worth $100 but this just makes them dig in and

become more righteously defiant.

Let it go....

Bob

Edited by reconbob

Bob is giving good advice.

If you have $28k in hand, you can be very picky about what WWII Thompson you buy.

This Thompson for sale appears to be a very nice looking NAC post-WWII gun.

NAC guns usually sell for what on average? $23,000 or so?

This looks like a nice one, add maybe 10% and you're at $25k.

And we have the disbelief-inducing story about it being unfired. That adds exactly $0.00 to the value of the gun.

Also, don't get the idea that this seller has dozens of big-money buyers making bids on it.

If you ever sell an expensive gun you will find that a buyer with $25,000 cash in hand is pretty rare.

If you are selling a $5,000 MAC10, you'll have 250 people in the USA who are potential buyers.

But for a $25,000 gun your pool of serious buyers is maybe 3 people in the whole USA who both have the money and desire to buy.

Edited by buzz

Seller never really said anything to me.....i asked HIM if he had offers...he never replied......Sandman went to see it in person and gave me a review on how clean and minty the gun was....i prefer NIB or minty....so i was willing to over pay for the gun......i told the seller i was shocked my offer wasnt high enough..

you are right about the tunnel vision thing......i shouldnt have bothered upping my own offer when he didnt even give me a counter offer...

Sandman agreed it look unfired or fired very little.....

i suspect the gun will sit for months and eventually sell for less than my offers....which i find frustrating.......

ive found NIB on most FA's to add 10-15%....i figured i was adding 20% onto this gun to make sure i got it

appreciate all the advice...thanks

sold it to buy one of these....would have loved to keep it...the color combo was the rarest and i loved it.....but dont want 2 of the same car....i know many of you have multiple Thompsons....but ill bet most bought when they were more reasonably priced...plus they take up less space and go up in value....my car collection only goes down in value...but i enjoy them

what year/model/color challenger do you own?

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/DSCN2629_zpspwbtwagq.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/DSCN2537_zpss6sgsffd.jpg

440 Challenger R/T bought new in 1971.

sold it to buy one of these....would have loved to keep it...the color combo was the rarest and i loved it.....but dont want 2 of the same car....i know many of you have multiple Thompsons....but ill bet most bought when they were more reasonably priced...plus they take up less space and go up in value....my car collection only goes down in value...but i enjoy them

what year/model/color challenger do you own?

Huh. 1972. We got a 68 GTO with a Colletti built 440, dual 4 barrels, that was crashed . rebuilt the body with the help of a friends Dad. Parents would not let us license it, but we drove it a few times on back roads. All I can say is holy crap. The most HP I ever sat on in a package like that . Wish I had it today.

my 2015 Hellcat Challenger can do 0-60 in 3.4 seconds (some have gotten it as low as 2.9 seconds) and i can do a 1/4 mile in 11.29 seconds at 126mph....have a friend w/ better tires and more skill who can do 10.62 @ 130mph......modern muscle is amazing.....most of the old muscle cars of the 60's were 0-60 in 6 seconds and 1/4 mile in the high 13s at best...most were low 14's....my challenger is rated at 707hp, but most dyno at 740hp........its an amazing car

i swore off frank due to a issue with an auction i lost and suspected shenanigans , but saw this gun listed today and found out it is 1 of 12 and NIB......i may be out of the Thompson find/seek game for a year+ if my offer is accepted

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=531199680#PIC

this time im going right to frank w/ an buy it now offer not too far off his reserve.........probably the most collectible M16 available

sad thing is i would not shoot it...just sit in my vault for retirement

Edited by huggytree

Huggytree,

This was my last hotrod, once you get into these sort of machines you come to think of muscles cars as being rather weak.

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/roscoeturner/ee93921e-299b-450f-8e9d-cc7b6460358a_zps842d37dc.jpg

my 2015 Hellcat Challenger can do 0-60 in 3.4 seconds (some have gotten it as low as 2.9 seconds) and i can do a 1/4 mile in 11.29 seconds at 126mph....have a friend w/ better tires and more skill who can do 10.62 @ 130mph......modern muscle is amazing.....most of the old muscle cars of the 60's were 0-60 in 6 seconds and 1/4 mile in the high 13s at best...most were low 14's....my challenger is rated at 707hp, but most dyno at 740hp........its an amazing car

its not just a A2...its a US Govt. marked A2.....from what i can find its like the Holy Grain of M16a2's

i just bought it for $35k....from what i can find only a couple have come up over the past couple of years...each had a different serial #, all are very close in serial #

they were listed at up to $40k and that was 1-2 years ago.....

ive bid on franks auctions before...last time someone out bid me at the last minute...taking what would have been a bargain and turning it into paying too much...12 hours later i was contacted by midwest guns and told the buyer backed out...they would not accept my offer that i had originally bid...then i see the gun come up for the exact same price as the high bidder on the gun list.....i think someone tried to mess around........id rather not take chances....i think i may have gotten a gem and an instant profitable gun...

3rd FA purchase

Uzi and Ruger Kac-556 folder on the way.....3rd in 2 months

all 3 are NIB......rather pay a premium for NIB....i know i lose 10-15% the first time i shoot it

i doubt i shoot this M16....when i bought it i thought i would....but it may cost me thousands if i shoot it.....kinda torn on that issue

i see ruben has a normal A2 for $32,999 right now....not NIB, Not US Govt. markings...

i think i paid about right for a NIB A2 and got the govt. markings part for free...not sure what extra $$ those markings bring...i believe the gun is slightly different beyond those markings...still researching

Edited by huggytree