Can this be real? Unfired?

huggytree

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=529207655

just curious what your opinions are.....id like a WW2 Thompson and dont mind paying a premium for NIB(which this one appears to be $5k extra)

or is it just a rebuild that has not been fired?

hard to believe a 74 year old gun is unfired

(sold by someone w/ 0 GB history)

Edited by huggytree

Oh Wow - let me get back in my chair. Huh - a reparkerized late war 1928A1 that is "unfired" ? Really.? They test fired them at the factory at least. Buy the gun not the story..... Otherwise a clean looking gun. My guess is there are better deals out there.

if it were in new condition/ unfired it would be worth the $30,000.....ive seen this one listed for over a month now...always catches my attention weekly when i look through gunbroker...just thought id see what the pro's think about it......i didnt think it was possible

if it were in new condition/ unfired it would be worth the $30,000.....ive seen this one listed for over a month now...always catches my attention weekly when i look through gunbroker...just thought id see what the pro's think about it......i didnt think it was possible

You would have better luck finding a Christmas elf at the North Pole compared to finding an unfired factory fresh military Thompson.

what do you figure the gun is worth? $25k?

sometimes a flash bulb or yellow sunlight will make dulite look like grey park in a photo

but that looks like a parkerized refinish

the first picture looks two-tone, maybe a dulite barrel and cutts

Edited by buzz

I asked a guy that once at a gun show, he said "he" never fired it so in his opinion it was unfired!!!!

Same type will claim a gun is unfired even though you can clearly see arsenal rebuild marks on it.

Question on value - buy it for what it is - most likely a rebuilt late war C&R 1928A1. Reparked for sure. Matching ? real condition ? you would have to ask and get better photos. What is it worth ? guess it depends on what you want and your financial situation . the 21 Colt at RIA auction went for something like $35 K+ I guess if I had to choose - I would rather have a nice original Colt for $35k+ than a refinished 28A1 for $30k. I know price on C&R guns are going up but a real value on this one ? I would price it around $25k if I was selling it, given what I know about it. It would probably sell at around $22-23K.

There are certainly unfired WWII TSMGs out there. unfortunately they are not in the registry so they are worthless to any of us. Greece returned to CMP a number of new in the box M1 Garands a few years ago. Prior to that a NIB M1 was a unicorn. I can't tell you the number of stories I have heard about crates of NIB WWII military guns sitting in warehouses in Europe. A friend of mine working on a project to rebuild Bofors guns for use on AC130 gunships went to Greece looking for parts. He found a number of new in wrap 40mm barrels which he shipped back. In that warehouse, which he described as looking like the last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark, he said there were crates of new in the box US and German WWII arms. Crates of new MG42s, MP40s, Thompsons, BARs, 1919s, etc. He even said there was even a new looking 1917 Browning. Remember the 1000s of Stg.44s that were found in an warehouse in Syria a few years ago? They exist, just not for us.

Dan

• Upvote 2

When I see a Model of 1928 Thompson advertised with lousy pictures as a 28AC instead of a 28A1, I wonder if it is one of the AC variation guns, normally found with the US markings ground off, the letter "C" overstamped on the number "1" and the letter "x" as a serial number suffix. If so, you may want to rethink this as a military World War II Thompson - unfired or not. If anyone calls or e-mails the seller, this is the first question I would ask.

4 years ago on a visit to Europe there was a fellow we met from Austria, he spoke of a warehouse he visited had crates full of Thompsons, MP40s and just about anything used in WW2, anyway had a few beers and went our ways, a few weeks later he sent pictures of opened crates, looked like new 1928A1s if I recall 12 to a crate and stacked 10 high, rows of them and his job was disposing of them for scrap,