New Transferable M1A1 Value

I have the opportunity to purchase this gun. The following description is from an old ad but I held the gun and it is completely new / mint. Not one mar, scratch, etc. I want a shooter and think this would be worthy as I believe this gun to have an in-spec receiver so I'm guessing value to be a little north of West Hurley M1's which look to be around $16-17k now but it's not C&R so I guess that would negatively effect the value a little. Form 4 lists it as "M1A1 Thompson Pattern".

PHILADELPHIA ORDNANCE M1A1 .45 THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN... WE ARE PLEASED TO OFFER ANOTHER BRAND NEW /FULLY TRANSFERABLE EXAMPLE OF AN M1A1 .45 THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN.... THIS GUN WAS PRODUCED BY PHILADELPHIA ORDNANCE CO OF ORLAND PA IN THE EARLY 1980's AND PURCHASED BY THE COLLECTOR/CLASS THREE DEALER INVESTOR IN AZ FROM WHOM WE PURCHASED SEVERAL NEW MACHINE GUNS... THIS FIREARM IS A CHOICE NEW PRODUCED EXAMPLE OF A VINTAGE WWII TYPE U.S. MILITARY FIREARM.... THE GUN IS NEW INSIDE AND OUT... FEATURES ALL THE M1A1 UPGRADES DONE ON THE MILITARY PRODUCED GUNS SUCH AS THE FIXED IN BOLT FIRING PIN AND TALL PROTECTOR EARS ON THE REAR SITE.... THE FORMER OWNER OF THIS GUN PAID UNDER $400.00 FOR THIS IT IN THE 1980's AND RECENTLY CASHED IN ON HIS INVESTMENT!! INTERNAL PARTS ARE MOSTLY ALL SAVAGE "S" MARKED MILITARY PARTS.... UPPER AND LOWER RECEIVERS ARE SERIAL NUMBER MATCHED AND THE BARREL IS PROOF "P" STAMPED.... THERE IS A R.B. STAMP UNDER THE TRUNION OF THE RECEIVER WHICH LOOKS LIKE IT COULD HAVE BEEN FROM A INSPECTOR AT THE PHILADELPHIA ORDNANCE FACTORY.... THE FIT AND FINISH OF THIS FIREARM IS JUST SUPER.... IT WAS SENT TO JOHN ANDREWSKI OF N.H. FOR AN INSPECTION AND GOING OVER -- GUN NEEDED NOTHING BUT A LUBE AND TEST FIRE AND CLEANING AFTER NEAR 30 YEARS OF BEING IN A VAULT OUT IN AZ.... THE MILITARY PARKERIZE IS JUST BEAUTIFUL AS WELL AS HAS GREAT LOOKING WOOD STOCKS.... A LITTLE HISTORY ABOUT THE M1A1 THOMPSON MACHINE GUNS -- THE LAST OF THE MILITARY PRODUCTION THOMPSON MACHINE GUNS PRODUCED FOR THE U.S. MILITARY WERE THE M1A1'S AND THEY HAVE THE MOST SIMPLE OF INTERNAL PARTS TO MAKE FOR A LONG LASTING COMBAT FIREARM, SUCH AS THE "FIXED" FIRING PIN CAST INTO THE BOLT HEAD.... THE M1A1 HAS SEEN USE IN WWII, KOREA, VIETNAM AND IN POLICE DEPARTMENTS NATION WIDE.... THE M1A1 WAS USED BY U.S. SERVICE PERSONAL BOTH IN EUROPEAN AND PACIFIC THEATERS BY BOTH U.S FORCES AND OUR ALLIES.... AS TO BE EXPECTED, THE M1A1 THOMPSONS ARE GREAT SHOOTING GUNS AND THIS ONE IS NO EXCEPTION.... . IF YOU ARE IN THE MARKET FOR AN M1A1 TO ADD TO YOUR COLLECTION AND YOU DO NOT NEED C&R RATED THEN THIS GUN WOULD BE HARD TO TOP.... USES BOTH 20 AND 30 ROUND STICK MAGS... COMPLETE WITH 3) 30 ROUND U.S.G.I STICK MAG....

Any thoughts on the gun in general and value? I'm not sure how odd ball guns like this price. I know the real deal WW2 Bridgeport M1 like Ruben has listed for $26k is the high bar and a beat up West Hurley not in spec is probably $14k so obviously this falls in between. What do you think it is worth and would you buy it?

post-260268-0-52414500-1449761091_thumb.png

post-260268-0-07478400-1449761092_thumb.png

post-260268-0-61405000-1449761092_thumb.png

Value= USGI

My opinion, I have paid a premium for Ruben Guns knowing I did not pay too much but bought early, & like a lot of Board members I have a thing for History & as you say "The Real Deal" Good luck in whatever you decide!

I made this gun. If you give me the serial number I can tell you when and where it was shipped.

A couple of years ago there was a guy selling two of these - same story - bought and never used -

and he called me to see if in fact the guy that was selling them was the original owner. If I recall at

that time the story matched the facts. Its been so long I don't remember but "R.B" is probably me.

The only thing I wonder is that back then I thought we hand stamped the receivers, but this one

is obviously CNC engraved...interesting.

More info - when these guns were made they were all original G.I. parts in mint condition

assembled on a new manufacture receiver which was machined to military specs. The

receiver is 4130 aircraft quality steel. These guns should be worthy of C&R status as we

were only able to make maybe 10 or so before the 1986 ban terminated the project. In

every respect this gun is superior to a West Hurley, At the time I was offering these guns

as a G.I. quality alternative to the crappy West Hurleys they were making. Its hard to believe

now but we sold these guns for $600....

Bob (Robert) Bower (RB)/Phila Ord

Edited by reconbob

I would not pay a USGI price for this gun.

Functionally, it's about the same as an excellent condition USGI rebuild, but it obviously lacks the historical value.

It would not make any sense from a collecting standpoint to pay the same for this gun as a similar USGI gun.

This gun should be priced the same as a WH gun.

It's worth more than a WH, but WHs are overpriced.

This Philly Ord gun is what WH buyers THINK they are getting.

The typical WH buyer is a newbie who thinks he's buying a Honda and he's really getting a Hyundai.

This PO gun for sale here is the Honda.

But just because it's a Honda, doesn't mean it should get boosted up into the BMW zone.

Probably half the guns in the NFA registry are a Hyundai or Honda of one sort or another.

Clones, conversions, sear guns, tube guns.

I like them. What's not to like?

Given the choice between buying a clone UZI for $12k or a original one for $20k, I'll pick the clone. In fact, that's what I did.

There is no bad choice, it all just comes down to pricing.

Looks like the OP did fine, he paid a fair market price for an excellent gun.