Original 1928A1 finned barrel?

I just got this finned barrel in the mail today. I bought it from Numrich Gunparts Corp, and it was advertised as an original barrel. There are no marking on it anywhere. Other barrels I have purchased had a "P" or "S" or even a "--" where the barrel should lockup on the receiver when tightened. This has none of them. Secondly, the threads appear different than any other original barrels I have owned. It has tapered threads and not the non-tapered threads I am accustomed to seeing. I have compared the threads next to an original Savage barrel for comparison. If it's original, then I'll keep it. If it's not I'm sending it back, as I paid twice as much as a modern production barrel costs these days. Thank you for your help.

post-260238-0-99505300-1453930753_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-92730400-1453930754_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-60264900-1453930755_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-15287600-1453930756_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-55585400-1453930756_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-96111600-1453930756_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-50334900-1453930757_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-56016700-1453930758_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-03422600-1453930759_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mywifesgunakillme

It's not a west Hurley Barrel, it's to poor of quality the only downside to some WH barrels is the chamber was cut to small. On the one in your pic. the threads are not cut crisp. That it is probably a later numrich reman barrel. Get a grip hanger and match it up to the fins and see if the nipple lines up on the center of a fin. If its a numrich reman there is a better than 60% chance it won't. The barrels made after ww2 were unmarked as well but they were milled correct to the ww2 stuff and of good quality. On a WH Barrel the fins won't line up to a ww2 barrels fins but the quality is better than the barrel in your pic and the WH fins line up with a grip hanger nipple. But the WH chambers were sometimes to small like 1911 spec or similar... In my opinion it's not original. Hope this helps you.

Edited by GUTTERRATT

I believe it is missing a couple of cooling fins. Can't remember the count but it looks like its missing one or two. I had one like it. The grip hanger matched up with a fin but it was an accident. The one I had was also missing at least one fin. I would send it right on back if it were me.

Wow. This is not even close. This barrel is a poor quality aftermarket barrel

and judging from the "quality" of the machining I would guess it was made in

China or India but you can't bring in barrels from there. I have had to deal with

many of these barrels and the chambers appear to have been cut with a boring

bar as opposed to a correct reamer, to say nothing of the crappy threading.

For them to advertise this as original is outright fraud. Usually when the big

places sell something like this they just sell it as a "barrel" and then they can

fall back on "hey we never said it was original, we just said it was a barrel".

Bob

After reading "Original Barrel" in their post, I quickly glanced at the finish of the barrel to ensure the bluing was in acceptable condition and bought it. I couldn't really see the threads very well in the pictures otherwise I might have given it a bit more thought. The finish looked good and it was described to be in good cosmetic condition. Obviously, it's no where near the standard I was expecting. I don't expect any issues with returning to Numrich. I will however, follow up with a phone call to their customer service.

I'm pretty sure I got the same barrel from them back in 1991. Besides everything already mentioned, if memory serves, the rifling was incorrect as well, different number of flights and lands and the rate of twist was off too. I can only imagine what grade of steel was used.

Guys, I believe you have it all wrong. This is a very rare 1 of 1 type barrel....it could be yours for just $235! :D I'm pretty sure it came off a gun from the Valentine's Day massacre.... ;)

Not really. It's just a piece of junk, that will be back up for sale on Numrich's website in another week or two. Thanks for all of the help confirming my suspicions.

I ordered a Thompson from Numrich long ago. I believe their thread was "NPT"...Not even useful for a display.

Kahr's barrels are very nice and have the correct thread.

However all their barrels have tapered ends now, no more threaded muzzle ends.....

"Thompsonbarrels.com" has a very nice selection of brand-new barrels. You might check them out....Phil

http://thompsonbarrels.com/

Edited by anjong-ni

Just out of cuiosity I counted the fins on a couple barrels. Not counting the base and including the little hint of a fin towards the muzzle.

Savage S marked barrel = 29 fins

West Hurley = 27 fins

I wonder if the WW2 stuff varies a fin now and then or here and there ? I know the WW2 spacing is all the same but different than West Hurley.

Edited by GUTTERRATT

Gutteratt,

Almost all original barrels (Colt and WWII) have 29 fins. Sometimes the last fin towards the muzzle end is hard to count and some WWII barrels have 28 fins. This is not counting the shoulder at the breech end. You are correct the West Hurley barrels generally have 27 fins. The barrel pictured looks like the West Hurley type.