Upcoming R.I.A. Auction 5 NFA Thompson's (1 Experimental)

Merry Ploughboy,

I see. Your scenario is certainly plausible, but rather unlikely I would think. The gun in question would certainly warrant further examination, in my opinion.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have looked down the receiver to the breach of a good number of 3 digit guns. in every instance, either the number or a digit or two was visible through the extractor slot or the tops or bottoms of the numbers were otherwise visible. the auction folks have been trying to be very helpful and have sent me almost every picture I have asked for. so, I do not believe that they didn't look or missed it. based on how precise the pictures were in response to my multiple inquiries (for example, they sent me at least 10 pictures of the bolt from every angle you could think of--and yes, the bolt is correct), if a number was there or even partially visible, I believe they would have reported as such. I have asked for a few pictures of the barrel face. if they can take them, I will report as to what they show.

Edited by DLansky

I took a picture down the breach of 147--the numbers are not visible down the extractor slot. rather, the tops of the numbers are visible on the barrel face. one picture is regular size, the second is blown up a bit.

147#2.JPG

147.jpg

Thanks Dave,

My Colt does not have a number on the barrel since it was made much later (6077). I do have a numbered barrel and I might try to put it in a Richardson of PO dummy rec and see if with a mirror at 45 degrees and get a pic of it.

I think Dave you already posted what I will see, Pics to follow when I find time...

Here are some composite pics that I think will answer whether or not a barrel number is visible through the ejection port or through the mag well.

I used a Richardson Ultramax Dummy Receiver (Aluminum), and I have a Colt barrel with a number 849 (hard to read the 9) stamped on the breech end. Note that the number positioning is upright with the sight location - so the number, when installed since they were all indexed, will be at the top of the breech.

I then tried to use a dental mirror, and had some luck taking the picture but it did not come out well. You could use this method to see the number - but why? The view through the ejection port and mag well show every possible edge of the barrel.

The second set of pics shows the view through the ejection port. I rotated the barrel about 90 degrees every time, so yo can see when the numbers come into view and when they are not visible. The third set is the same as the second set but looking through the mag well, Again, the barrel was rotated 90 degrees or so each time.

My contention is the number is visible through the mag well when the barrel is in the correct indexed position. It is not visible through the ejection port. I will always be visible with some sort of mirror and a little fussing around.

It does lead to another question though - are the numbers always on the top edge of the barrel? Just curious, as I do not believe there is a location where it will not be visible through either opening.

So... The barrel on the gun in question is not the original barrel to the gun. It may be an original Colt barrel though.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Edited by giantpanda4

Giantpanda,

Nice research. I guess that answers the question if the number is not visible on the gun in question. Thanks for posting, I learned something new, which is always good.

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested the 3 bare west hurly receivers went for 11, 12 and 13k the 11k one had a barrel, the others were bare.

I had bids in on all of them but those prices are close to nuts.

I was on the phone for the Westie recs. I thought the first went 12, and the rest were 12 and 13. Looking it up I see I was wrong, cocoabill is correct.
My limit was 10K - stretch to 11 but I would have to be 12 to get in on the first one. So pass.
But whoever bought the first one did well, IMHO. Add BP (for me it was quoted as 18% and add 2.5% for a CC, maybe that is because I was a phone bidder) and other fees that would total just over 2K, and a 1K parts kit, you got a shooter M1 Westie for about 14K. Saves you a couple thousand over what they have been selling for these days.
Here is another westie complete from Cowans (innternet BP was 20%):
https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Auto-Ordnance-Thompson-Sub-Machine/29422779/LotDetail.asp?lid=29422779&rfpb=0#Top

Colt Model 1921 Serial Number "1057" sold for $42,500

BSA-Thompson Serial Number "2" Experimental Model 1929 sold for $95,000

Colt/Auto-Ordnance Class III/NFA Model 1927AC "Semi-Automatic" sold for $22,500

Savage Arms 1928A1 sold for $14,000

Edited by ar15usa