Finned Barrel w/ Ring Sight? Good?

Not a 21 or a GI barrel. Fins are way to wide.

I guess this is an aftermarket barrel with whatever the maker desired to put on the muzzle end (threads or taper).

Wolfie, what is your question? The original 1921 Thompsons all had fins and ring sights.

I have de-barreled a zillion front ends from the Russian parts sets

and these thick, flat fins are often encountered. These barrels do not

have the round or square S and we have speculated that these guns

we're rebarrelled at some time after production using non-Savage,

non-Stevens barrels.

Bob

Question: Does the ring front sight have any manufacturer markings, i.e., S or AOC? If not, any chance we could get a better profile picture of the front sight?

Thanks!

Thanks wolfie.

From what I can tell it was manufactured by Stevens Arms (Square S marking). I have never seen a front sight marked in the rear like this. Anyone else seen a front sight marked like this?

Are you going to remove it from the barrel?

My late Savage M1 has the sight marked on the rear with a square S like this. SN 241088. Barrel is square S marked under the hand guard on the right.

This late M1 also has the two piece riveted M1A1 type front grip mount, an added reinforcing band, and pinned type rocker pivot and safety levers levers. Upper and lower receiver numbers match.

rbtf70 - thanks for the information. Can you post a quality picture of this front sight with Stevens marking. It is a first for me seeing this marking at the rear of the front sight.

Merry Ploughboy - Perhaps your right. Anyone with the link could ask the seller about the length. That would tell the story!

I have seen British homeguard photos of old men shooting 1928A1 guns with ring front sights and no compensator...

One of the WWII TSMG photo threads...

R67,

The Savage Model of 1928A (no compensator) is covered in my book beginning on Page 17. More information on this particular subject can be found in my Small Arms Review magazine (3rd Quarter 2013, Vol. 17, No. 3) story including the picture you referenced. My initial interest in this thread was on this point. However, a Stevens Arms marking would not be original to one of these very rare Savage Model of 1928A production Thompson guns.

All good stuff!

TD,

I am attaching a picture of the late Savage M1 with many M1A1 parts, and two closeups of the rear of the front sight. When I do closeups like this I see how much oil and grease residue I have failed to clean off the firearms. The cat hair is also a continuing problem.

There are no additional markings on the front sight. Only the square S on the rear.

post-260023-0-60692300-1472580758_thumb.jpgpost-260023-0-39828500-1472580782_thumb.jpgpost-260023-0-88844800-1472580804_thumb.jpg

back around 1980 dave cumberland aka old west scrounger gave me around 100 brand new in wrap m1 thompson barrels,that he bought at govt auction.he wanted the barrels finned and gave me a sample 1928 barrel as sample to copy . after machimeing the i beleve save had them rebluded..i dont rember ehat type of fins i cut on them as it was just get the job done. is it possible the barrel you have is one of these.