Hickok45 Finally Does A Thompson Video

SO... Hickok45 from YouTube, who does great gun review videos for those of you who don't know, has finally done a video of full auto Thompsons. He had these loaned from Royal Gun Range. It looks like these are Russian kits, as he implies in the video, with new manufactured receivers. I couldn't get a good enough look so I wonder????

Bob, are these your Phila Ordinance receivers from over at Royal Range?

Jon

You have to take this with a grain of salt....most of the members of this forum have far more accurate info them him...he gives inaccurate info on several different types of firearms.,Winchesters,remingtons,pistols,machineguns...some people like his opinions and videos and some don`t...he even threatens you if you wanted to visit him..so I just ignore for several years now...

You have to take this with a grain of salt....most of the members of this forum have far more accurate info them him...he gives inaccurate info on several different types of firearms.,Winchesters,remingtons,pistols,machineguns...some people like his opinions and videos and some don`t...he even threatens you if you wanted to visit him..so I just ignore for several years now...

What do you mean, he threatens you?

Agreed. Hickok45 is far from an expert, really a waste of time to watch for those looking for accurate information.

Anybody who watches his vids, including me, knows that he is not an end all be all expert and he never claims to be. But he is good for introducing people to firearms. I know a lot of people who he has influenced into our culture.

I was more just curious if those were Bob's receivers.

Jon

I agree with Jon, I've always enjoyed his commentary and fun attitude.

I'm not viewing him through a magnifying glass.

This is a brutally anal forum sometimes.

Darryl

I liked this video and would recommend it to friends and non-gun folk interested in learning about the Thompson.

A few nits - but all-in-all I thought he did a good - and entertaining - job.

I wish he'd had an M1 or M1A1...but of course I'm biased ;)

Thumbs up, Hickok45.

The video was great.

The Thompson is one of those guns that has endless amounts of misinformation circulating about it.

There were a few minor errors in the video but at least he didn't repeat any of the big magoo-isms floating around out there.

I don't understand why everyone always says that the Thompson is soooo heavy. It weighs just about the same as a Garand and nobody every complains about their arms pulling out of the sockets when they shoot a Garand.

You make a gun out of solid steel instead of stampings and it comes out heavy. What do they expect?

Also, look up the weight of the other WWII subguns, they aren't exactly featherweight.

I also don't agree with the idea that the 28 model is "better" than the M1 models.

The 28 is sort of more interesting to collectors because it's a fancy gun and gun collectors love fancy, complicated guns with a lot of finely machined parts.

But having expensive, complicated features on a gun that it doesn't actually need does not make it "better" as a war weapon.

I'm always singing the praises of the M1 models because I think they are overlooked by a lot of collectors.

It's a superbly designed weapon and as a WWII collectable it's right at the top of the pyramid.

Edited by buzz

I agree with Jon, I've always enjoyed his commentary and fun attitude.

I'm not viewing him through a magnifying glass.

This is a brutally anal forum sometimes.

Darryl

Ya think? LOL I think this forum shows up number one with a google search of "anal-retentives". I like him just to watch his amazing shooting if nothing else. When I can hit targets offhand at a hundred yards with a short barreled pistol I will step up and make fun of him too. Until then I will just enjoy his vids for what they are.

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

The video was great.

The Thompson is one of those guns that has endless amounts of misinformation circulating about it.

There were a few minor errors in the video but at least he didn't repeat any of the big magoo-isms floating around out there.

I don't understand why everyone always says that the Thompson is soooo heavy. It weighs just about the same as a Garand and nobody every complains about their arms pulling out of the sockets when they shoot a Garand.

You make a gun out of solid steel instead of stampings and it comes out heavy. What do they expect?

Also, look up the weight of the other WWII subguns, they aren't exactly featherweight.

I also don't agree with the idea that the 28 model is "better" than the M1 models.

The 28 is sort of more interesting to collectors because it's a fancy gun and gun collectors love fancy, complicated guns with a lot of finely machined parts.

But having expensive, complicated features on a gun that it doesn't actually need does not make it "better" as a war weapon.

I'm always singing the praises of the M1 models because I think they are overlooked by a lot of collectors.

It's a superbly designed weapon and as a WWII collectable it's right at the top of the pyramid.

Even though the Thompson and the Garand might be close in actual weight, the Thompson just feels heavier for some reason. An engineer with a better understanding of explaining physics could probably do this more justice, but it could be that because the Thompson is shorter and held with a pistol grip, it could feel heavier than the longer Garand that is held differently. The Thompson also has that huge chunky slide, right over the pistol grip, and so the bulk of the weight sort of weighs down right there, and it pulls at your biceps muscle.

ive watched his video's before...typically when im going to buy a gun i end up finding a review from him.....one thing is i dont think he ever says anything negative about any gun...its always a super positive review...to be a honest/better reviewer he needs to tell the downsides of the guns and the issues....

i enjoy his video's...its not a real review from a fussy guy...just a fun guy shooting stuff.....id love to have his gun range!!!

I like the guy, can see a gun I'm thinking of buying, I guess by proxy. Gives me a ballpark idea. Also he starts out the Thompson video by referencing Baby Face Nelson & Machine Gun Kelly, then brings up Dillinger later on. My type of guy. Interesting, entertaining and harmless. His little range set up, is something I'm jealous of.

Hell of a lot better shot then I am, about the same age too, says I.

OCM

Guest 4WHLDRFTN

I think this forum shows up number one with a google search of "anal-retentives".

all forums have there KIA's (know it all's) :happy:

Edited by 4WHLDRFTN

You said:

He said the 28 was the better gun... so you would figure he would have... slower cycling with the A1.

I disagree with the idea that a "better" gun would be expected to have a higher ROF.

I've noticed that MGs have a pretty wide variation in ROF from one to the other.

It seems to be mostly related to the recoil spring stiffness and the kind of ammo used.

Also some guns seem to have a tighter action than others.