Original C Drum

they are going up in value faster than incomes....if we can agree on that statement it shows eventually the value will be above what normal people can afford.

2 years ago i could get a blah mac 10 for $4800(saw one on GB sell for this price when i was looking)....now they are $7,000+......lots, lots, lots of gun guys can afford $4800 for a dream gun.....raise that to $10,000 in todays dollars and i think you lost all the beginner level buyers....

some people will always have money....ive got disposable income....i picked guns/cars to toss it into for enjoyment.....why have $$ if you dont spend it sometimes....

when a Thompson is $100,000 do you think guys like Colt 21a with 40+ Thompsons all lined up in a nice row will exist???

i dont

i think when his generation goes that will be the end to Thompson hoarding (im joking w/ you colt 21a)......

none of it matters in the end...just talking...my kids will see if my opinions come true or not....they get my guns...none are for sale...my deplorable childhood memories with my guns will be kept alive hopefully divided up with each of them......every time they do a 100 round mag dump they may think of their crazy Dad

Number of broke people in U.S.A. 150 MILLION.WAH WAH WAH B.R.M. GLAD you can bring new folk into the fold. more power to you.. After 45 years of it done. can relax and enjoy. Just made a few comments.. Like everybody else does here for years on this forum...And glad that I still can. And don't ever call A Patriot Veteran Combat Marines {liberal..} I am at SAR show every year{been there for 20 years} with tables to discuss with anybody here the finer points of all of it. And never in all the decades. stepped away from a good honest discussion. And those that are members here know that. they have visited the tables and talked with me. And if they feel they got bad info let them speak up.. And B.R.M. what is the magic gun you waited 30 years for?

I waited six months for one once. But 30 years.. That's Special.. and congrats on finding it.

Colt21a Ron

they are going up in value faster than incomes....if we can agree on that statement it shows eventually the value will be above what normal people can afford.

2 years ago i could get a blah mac 10 for $4800(saw one on GB sell for this price when i was looking)....now they are $7,000+......lots, lots, lots of gun guys can afford $4800 for a dream gun.....raise that to $10,000 in todays dollars and i think you lost all the beginner level buyers....

some people will always have money....ive got disposable income....i picked guns/cars to toss it into for enjoyment.....why have $$ if you dont spend it sometimes....

when a Thompson is $100,000 do you think guys like Colt 21a with 40+ Thompsons all lined up in a nice row will exist???

i dont

i think when his generation goes that will be the end to Thompson hoarding (im joking w/ you colt 21a)......

none of it matters in the end...just talking...my kids will see if my opinions come true or not....they get my guns...none are for sale...my deplorable childhood memories with my guns will be kept alive hopefully divided up with each of them......every time they do a 100 round mag dump they may think of their crazy Dad

Huggy I come here to bust balls A lot and if some don't know that by now they are getting real senile.

its all fun. And some would not like me when I am serious. butt hurt feeling crying towels safe rooms and all that Jazz.

never had no sheltered Life fighting on Chicago's South side streets since I was 13 and the Marines for six years at 18... Yeah sometimes I am hard to figure out. But always handle it with Humor.

I appreciate the input here. Some still care about the History.COLT21A Ron

Yes many today can still buy that $1200 Garand. Increase 300% but the Thompson at over 750% not so much. My house at $250 grand in 1988 is at 250% still does not touch the Thompson. And most cars devalue. As well as furniture and sport items. Even Gold did not take a over 800% jump.it would be close but maybe not exact. We are the ones who decide to pay what people ask. and if we are foolish enough or desire it enough to do it why not.

Looking back now I wish I did not buy the over forty cars I did, and just had that cash laying around. Heck I could have another ten Thompsons. And jacked them up to today's standard..... I just don't feel there are a thousand guys out there with forty grand burning holes in pockets to Buy Thompsons.Sure a few with bucks. But that was always the same standard back when also.Why do you think I bought so many. because others did not want to spend the money back when.

Also not sure too many had built $250 grand houses back in the 80's and drove multiple $30 grand cars. And buying Tommys at 5 grand each. But hey everybody has got to be doing something. I am glad the race is over I won. And can still enjoy a $1200 buck Garand. And a $1500 buck AR-15.Most have never even enjoyed ten of anything.

"So count the blessing you have been bestowed for but a instant They can be gone." from JOEY BAG OF DOUGHNUTS. Before the mob got him. Wink!

Colt21a Ron

I have literally no idea where you are going with this, so I'll just say "ok".

Wah, wah ,wah, so what’s new and who cares. The “average” guy is hardly an example of a dedicated MG buyer and owner and is in no different position than the overwhelming majority of people who can’t buy something that they wish to own because it is too expensive. Where does it say that eveyone should be able to own anything that they desire? Only a very few are able to, so lucky them.

MGs were way too expensive for me when I acquired my first legal MG and always were more than I could afford every time I bought one especially when I was paying the transfer tax when it was twice and more of the cost of the MG.I was dedicated to owning them, willing to sacrifice, simple as that and all I heard from my gun friends was that I was a fool to pay the gov’t tax, they would shortly be completely outlawed, they waste ammo, they are just for killing, I would never be able to sell them, they are junk, they are way too expensive, yak yak, yak. Pessimists all and had no interest in MGs so got their jollies bashing them and their owners.

I have educated and assisted five twenty-five to thirty-five year old fellows in getting their CIIs in VT in the last four years. I know, these are competition for me, but there is no way they can compete with me since I have so many years of specialty experience, but they are in the game, enthusiastic and dedicated. I am more than pleased to help them. I have a dozen or more customers in that age range, some now working on the purchase of their third or more transferable MG. Excited and addicted young guys and a number of young females are showing up at the 100 position MG shoot in northern VT, now in its tenth year. There are shoots all over the country now well attended by younger people who often have relatives with MGs and will more than likely inherit them. They don’t complain about the prices of MGs any more than I did and for them the prices are just a normal cost of participation since they want in. Same for ammo.

Many owners don’t shoot their MGs anyway and that is nothing new. I know plenty of them. Anyone who follows the big auction houses and attends auctions can watch guys in their low thirties and up buying high end collector handguns, rifles along with MGs and a myriad of insanely expensive collector firearms. There is a reason why the former James Julia Auctions would gross $15 million at at an average gun auction where the MG prices are far below many of the Title I collectibles. And then Julia will still have thousands of guns left to sell. None of these guns will be shot and that is of absolutley no importance to the buyers. So what if MG owners don’t shoot their guns?

So what if a Colt ‘21 reaches $100k? No one is entitled to own one or any MG or a Colt Dragoon or a ColtWalker in pristine condition or any orher high end firearm.

If you guys want to own more MGs, pony up. I recently bought a high end MG that I have wanted for thirty years and am happy as any new MG owner! All the gloom and doom is sounding like a bunch of liberals! Rant mode off.....

Agreed

Another thing people never consider is ammo cost. I'm pretty sure that if inflation is factored in, ammo is actually CHEAPER now than it was back in the 1950s-1970s (Good ol' days). We can buy good quality 9mm 1000 rounds for like $190, etc. All sorts of imported surplus too out there. That's awesome.

Yes, machine guns are more expensive, but they always have been an expensive and lengthy hobby to get into. That's what makes it special. When asking my dad why he never owned one in the late 1960s when he was legal age to buy one, he said there was no way he could afford it on a teachers salary, and it was so wasteful for ammo. Asked my grandpa (When alive) about buying a machine guns or a Colt Thompson in the early 1930s when he was a teacher, and he also said there was no way as he made less than $100 a month. Less than $100 a month! His car was only $20. $200 on a new Thompson back then when people really couldn't be wasteful with money and who knew they would one day be collectible?! No ways! The used $5 rifle at the hardware store did the job. Some things about gun ownership was better back then, and somethings are better now. Who cares!

Like I say to anyone that starts complaining about matching gun prices. If you want in, save up, and jump in. I did with my first and "only" RDIAS as a waiter at a restaurant wrapping up college just 7 years ago. And now life has treated me well and I have over 30 machine guns. Loving every minute of the hunt, purchase, and ownership and being part of such an exclusive club.

Congratulations on making some good choices! Nice to see younger people in the hobby! Life is about choices and most of the 150 mil Ron points out make bad ones, some just bad luck, some for lack of education, but most have no ambition and choose to sit out. This has been a constant since cavemen, and there were ambitious cavemen and lazy cavemen.

All collectible prices are difficult to predict long term, stocks being about the worst. People collect those, yet they just accept the price of the hour without complaining. A few decades ago you couldn't give away land in swamps or deserts, but apparently ditch diggers made both of the those pretty viable investments for many people? Who saw that coming?

If I recall desert land in AZ was about the same price per acre as an HK sear? Personally, I still think they are both worth about 5 bucks but supply and demand have run them both up? Hedging my bets, I somehow seem to own both, but don't recall complaining about the prices.....just working harder to buy them. I have friends that complain about both, but own neither?

I envy the old time collectors but Huggy is right about one thing. The hay day of big collections is probably over. For someone to put together a vintage collection in todays dollars he would need to be a very wealthy person and also be willing to take the risk that the investment in these guns will be worth something down the road. Too much of a risk in todays climate imo. Im in my comfort zone with up to 10 fa and that will be it.

The average home price in 1940 was 3,000.

Today its 200K.

The average car price was $850 in 1940.

Today its 35K.

Sure there have been improvements but as long as they keep printing money it has to go somewhere.

I have the funny feeling the presses wont stop anytime soon :D