Someone should tell them...

Is Bob still actively engaged in the business? Or has it passed to his son/son-in-law (I think)? I have dealt with OOW in the past always a good experience, but in the last six years I have not, for many reasons. Some personal, like my collection is shrinking as I age or in their case their focus appears to have changed and not much interests me there anymore. Nothing bad, but they appear to be going after the DoD-PD work more and less focused on the Collector market.

Bob may not be involved in the day to day everyday, but hes definitely involved. I spoke with him directly last month and worked out a deal to purchase a 1917 he had for sale.

As for OOWs focus, think about it. 20yrs ago you could count all the "known" NFA/collector dealers on one hand. Today that many new ones pop up a week on sturm. OOW is just focusing their business where they have more of the market.

Ive talked to Bob many times and he told me the company is more focused on their Govt/MIL/LEO sales and contracts and many of the people there have no idea what the vintage stuff is. The vintage guns are more his thing and those, as he puts it, are what built the company.

My new baby I discovered at Ohio Ordnance because of this post arrived last week. Not everyone's cup-o-tea, I have always had a soft spot for the M10/M11 series (as must the composer and singer of Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner). It's an iconic piece of American firearms history and just plain wicked looking....and it can fit in a lunchbox.

I think this fits perfectly for this post

• Upvote 1

The last two lines are great.

:lol: :lol: :D

My new baby I discovered at Ohio Ordnance because of this post arrived last week. Not everyone's cup-o-tea, I have always had a soft spot for the M10/M11 series (as must the composer and singer of Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner). It's an iconic piece of American firearms history and just plain wicked looking....and it can fit in a lunchbox.

The last two lines are great.

:lol: :lol: :D

Yes, that was one of the fastest transfers I've ever seen.

That is a great clip from the John Wayne movie "McQ". I remember being impressed at seeing it when it first came out and always wanted a mac after that. As working on many a Hollywood set over the years, I know the tricks of the trade that are used with guns and blanks but that scene is highly rare and unusual. I have not known live rounds to be used on a Hollywood film since the 30's. It appears to me this this scene was actually shot with live rounds. See the Duke react from the recoil, (too precise to be acting) and his first shots do indeed hit the top of the trash can, the timing is too perfect to be blanks and squib detonations. The camera angle used lets you see both the gun discharging and the bullets' impact. Notice the set with the sandbags in back, yes this looks totally legit to me, if not it was the best fake live gun firing that I've ever seen on a film.

Back to Bob, I first dealt with him around 30 years ago. He's always been great to deal with and a stand-up guy! One of the few left of the "old guard" I think.

I also remember seeing "McQ" and after the Ingram scene thinking "Now THAT'S product placement!" Years ago there was a radio dj in Denver, Alan Berg, that was murdered while in his car, and at first the police couldn't figure out how someone shot him in the chest 10 times with a .45 auto so fast. Found out later it was a Mac10 in .45acp. They did get the bad guys.

Love the MAC 10 - 45 ACP bullet hose. Had the same setup, gun and suppressor, and loved it. First gun I had that could have all 30 rounds if brass in the air at the same time. Then 45 started going up. Bummer.

That is a great clip from the John Wayne movie "McQ". I remember being impressed at seeing it when it first came out and always wanted a mac after that. As working on many a Hollywood set over the years, I know the tricks of the trade that are used with guns and blanks but that scene is highly rare and unusual. I have not known live rounds to be used on a Hollywood film since the 30's. It appears to me this this scene was actually shot with live rounds. See the Duke react from the recoil, (too precise to be acting) and his first shots do indeed hit the top of the trash can, the timing is too perfect to be blanks and squib detonations. The camera angle used lets you see both the gun discharging and the bullets' impact. Notice the set with the sandbags in back, yes this looks totally legit to me, if not it was the best fake live gun firing that I've ever seen on a film.

Yes, looked too real. Back then, production quality and special effects were pretty crappy. The muzzle and round strikes lined up too well. Have had a handful of MACs since 1980. Fun little guns.

Edited by Waffen Und Bier

Yes, looked too real. Back then, production quality and special effects were pretty crappy. The muzzle and round strikes lined up too well. Have had a handful of MACs since 1980. Fun little guns.

Yeah, it's the real thing. I'm sure the Duke had no qualms about shooting a mag through the Mac and director Sturges was probably keen to do it. I think the gun shop and back room range were the real thing too. The retail gun shop had too much detail with all kinds of caliber ammo on the back shelves and other kind of accessories, way too much detail on those set-ups to be some kind of made-up Hollywood set. I would love to talk to those involved with orchestrating those scenes but after 46 years most of the people in the production of that film are unfortunately gone. Nobody would have the balls to do a live fire sequence like that nowadays.

I have both a Mac 10 and Mac 11, both customized. I put a Tungsten bolt on one of them to reduce the rate of fire and I would challenge any MP5 owner to a firing competition with it. Macs are cool!

Edited by Mike Hammer

John Sturges made some great movies, Eagle Has Landed and Great Escape being two of my favorites. Not only did he make the same kind of movies as Sam Peckinpah, they seem to have the same temperament, and the kinda look like each other.