A new Thompson owner's first Thompson experience

Congrats, Mark

I know that feeling.

It's especially rewarding knowing you're holding a piece of WW2 history.

I'm always humbled by what a CHUNK the M1/M1A1 is.

I wouldn't want to hump that thing every day - along with all my other combat gear.

Enjoy!

Also - It didn't take you very long to get on target! Nice shooting.

Edited by whit
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the comments guys. I am really enjoying this Thompson hobby, since I decided to buy a Thompson, the M1/M1A1 was my only choice. I have been reading a bunch of books on the Marines in the WWII battles in the Pacific, and Thompsons were in all the major battles. One interest feeds the other, and I am having a blast.

Mk VII, you are correct. Ask me how I know...

ebeeby, thanks for the kind words. When I started shooting, I was concerned that using lead bullets might cause problems. Nope, this gun eats lead bullets like cake!

Ron Mills, thank you sir!

Merry Ploughboy I hope to enjoy this gun for the rest of my life. So far, I can't stop picking it up and admiring it.

katanafred I have to admit, my father left me a small inheritance, and that is how I was able to make this purchase. If my experience is any indication of how it will go for you, all I can say is that you will really be pleased.

whit I agree with you on holding a piece of history. I have a number of guns that every time I pick them up, I wonder about the guys who carried them. Did they survive the war, or was the weapon passed on to someone else?
Your description of the M1 as a CHUNK is accurate! Heavy and not well balanced, that is what I think. But there is something about it, and I don't regret my purchase at all. It is heavy, everyone who fired it yesterday mentioned that they were surprised at the weight. Like you, I sure would not want to carry it in combat. The ammo, it's all heavy. One thirty round magazine is loaded with just shy of one pound of lead. That is some weight! Carry the gun, 5-8 magazines, and all the other equipment, I don't think I could walk 50 yds!

• Upvote 1

Glad to hear your enjoying in.My father inherited my grandfathers( his fatger in law)ww2 Thompson us1928a1.If it wasnt for inheriting it none of us could afford one.Hell we are having a hard time affording spares.Really woukd like to get an original spare bsrrel but may have to just have the original pulled and use aftermarket barrels so it can be enjoyed.Cost of ammo and parts might turn it to a wall hanger which would be an absolute shame

20K. This one is an arsenal refinished PD gun. Crazy money, I know. I wish I bought it 20 years ago when I started collecting MG's. Oh well.

Very cool ! You got to spend it somehow ! Did you buy it straight from the PD or how did That work ?

I have an M1A1. I think the neat part about the M1s & M1A1s is they saw service during WW2.

I enjoy mine immensely. The best part about having machine guns is showing up somewhere, getting them out, and letting others try them, especially kids.

Dan K, I agree! Reading about the history of these guns and then collecting one is great, one interest feeds the other. And really, what good is a collection if you can’t share it?

Mark