WTB: Colt era Type 1 Compensator with Front Sight

I am preparing to restore a sorely neglected Colt Model 1921 AC that has recently resurfaced at a local auction. It's in rough shape - rough enough to merit restoration, but I'm working with very knowledgeable individuals to help ensure that everything is done properly.

Toward that end, I am looking for the appropriate Colt era type 1 compensator with a front site. The finish isn't important, but I would like to avoid corrosion and pitting.

Please let me know what you have.

Charles

gog@mac.com

Edited by clancelotta

it is 2487... wow! this board is on top of things.

The gun went up for auction in my area and I (due to proximity) had the opportunity to take it apart and inspect it before bidding. Very clean on the inside, and it is better than the pictures posted by the auction company, but it does have some significant surface corrosion and loss of finish.

I believe that this one is accounted for in Richardson's Book, although it is misidentified as an 1921 A (it is a 21 AC), and its history ends with being shipped to the Arkansas City, Kansas PD in 1933 (I have the rest of the history up to 2022). In the end, it wound up forgotten and neglected for at least 30 years.

Charles

Edited by clancelotta

Lucky! I was a bidder, well I thought I was bidding but the auctioneer never checked to make sure online bidding was working before he started ripping through lots.... I called and they could have cared less.

Typical of certain auction houses having no business auctioning off rare/valuable stuff, in terms of the cosigner they do a poor job on info, pictures etc... which deters a larger bidding pool and thus they get less money, but a big bonus if you are a bidder that can put there hands on it and know what your exactly bidding. It went over more than what I wanted to spend not being able to see it in person and not knowing what the inside looked like.

Glad someone got it and came here to the experts, make sure to come back and post pics if you got any at the auction house while you were there or as soon as the transfer goes through.. would love to see it. I can post the images from the auction house if that would be okay, let me know.

Can you post a few pics of the shot mag that was in the case too? Also, we noted that the front sight was rotated a bit from straight up. Any idea why?

I know you do not have the gun yet. Hopefully you are near to it and the dealer handling the sale lets you have visits!

Ron are you a fellow Kansan? Not many know we call it Ark City (though it is Arkansas city) nobody here in south central Kansas calls it that.Just south of Winfield and last City before you cross tge Oklahoma border into Ponca

No sir, I hail from Nebraska. But I traveled a fair amount of Kansas, from Goodland to Coffeeville. Good memories of the Sunflower State.

Ron are you a fellow Kansan? Not many know we call it Ark City (though it is Arkansas city) nobody here in south central Kansas calls it that.Just south of Winfield and last City before you cross tge Oklahoma border into Ponca

Double hit reply, apologies.

Edited by Ron Mills

Rudy,

The Colt era Type 1 unmarked compensators have a much smaller diameter for the barrel than the later compensators with markings. If the diameter of this compensator for the barrel is the same as one of the ones you have with a Cutts trademark logo, then it is most likely one of the modern day reproductions. I believe Doug Richardson made an unmarked compensator with the larger barrel diameter.

I have three total, one marked Cutts , .487 ID on the nose, the other two (unmarked and one marked with Thompson logo) measure .477 with a caliper......

And TD, Thank you for the info...I can make 'em run like a sewing machine.....but just getting around to the education on what is and is not correct. So glad I found this board.

Edited by Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist,

I would be dangerous with a set of calipers!

I was away from my books when I originally posted. On page 34 of Frank Iannamico's, American Thunder, Third Edition, the inside diameter given for an marked Colt era Type 1 Compensator is .660 inch with 28 threads per inch. The inside diameter of the later Type 2, 3, and 4 compensators is given as .750 inch with 28 threads per inch. All the reproduction compensators I have seen, including the West Hurley compensators, have an inside diameter of .750 inch with 28 threads per inch.

Mad Machinist,

I would be dangerous with a set of calipers!

I was away from my books when I originally posted. On page 34 of Frank Iannamico's, American Thunder, Third Edition, the inside diameter given for an marked Colt era Type 1 Compensator is .660 inch with 28 threads per inch. The inside diameter of the later Type 2, 3, and 4 compensators is given as .750 inch with 28 threads per inch. All the reproduction compensators I have seen, including the West Hurley compensators, have an inside diameter of .750 inch with 28 threads per inch.

I was wondering about the smaller diameter..I was thinking the muzzle end. LOL.....never thought you meant the threaded wnd.....makes perfect sense now.