1921 Magazine Catch( Repro)

I found a company that makes 1921 Style Magazine Catches from a 1928 Catch....a reproduction starting with original parts. 

The Company is called LCGNM or Las Cruces Gunsmith Accessories.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased anything from them and if you had a positive experience with dealing with them and products quality ?

Thanks, Jojeep  

PS: Years ago I purchased a Mag Catch from either Numrich or Sarco that was a 1921 reject or 2nd....there was a Raised Bump where the hole would be. I filed and grounded it down a little with a Dremel tool to clean it up and then Cold Blued.

Edited by jojeep

Quote "Mag Catch from either Numrich or Sarco that was a 1921 reject or 2nd....there was a Raised Bump where the hole would be". Unquote... do you mean a 1928 reject or 2nd, the 1921 mag catch did not have a hole?

20230223_120945.thumb.jpg.faf189133881b834a1e66bb4c9ff35c4.jpgI stand corrected, I polished it years ago, but never got around to hitting it with Brownells Cold Blue. I dug out the Mag Catch to take a picture. I do not see where a Hole would be like on a 1928 style

My original question was if anyone has purchased products or a Repro 1921 Mag Catch from LCGNM ??

jojeep,

If you search on Las Cruces Gunsmith, I believe you will find where this vendor has been discussed previously. 

The magazine catch in the picture is a commonly found cast Auto-Ordnance West Hurley part. Numrich Arms sold these magazine catches for many years. 

• Like 1

I don't know how well he delivers as a vendor. I placed an order last night.  Tom is sufficiently noteworthy though I'm happy to place an order with him.

Also, Tom will machine a later paddle into a 1921 version.  I was going to send him a paddle but didn't have a chance to search past gunparts for the paddle.

I decided to go with luxury purchases, I haven't finished a 1928 build so I decided to get 1921 parts for it.  I bought the dressed stock too.  

If he's a worthwhile vendor, I'd say meet him sooner because there won't be a later.

I don't have enough time on the job to eyeball certain features, I'm making a library of images and physical artifacts. I'll pay to have an example.

So yes, his parts are going on a build, but they will contribute to more accurate future builds.

On the issue of parts houses, I'm inclined to try LCGMN since I believe he will deliver on everything on his site.

Tom is also very clear about the wait time for getting his shop time, coupled with a wait list where your name actually comes up.

Tom's straightforward approach gave me the impression it would be easy to coordinate my projects that need services or parts that he has. So I'll give him a shot.

Tom is a very cool dude.  He shared with me his engraving project. I now know a little about Numrich from a guy that was there.

I am still waiting on my order that was placed and paid for back in the beginning of August for one of his 1921 mag catches along with the 1921 style rocker pivot and safety. I have tried to call lately with no luck and his voicemail is full so I cannot leave a message. I've also sent an email with no response from him.

If you're wanting something sooner rather than later, I'd see if someone else could make/modify a mag catch for you. However, if you don't mind the wait, then get on the waitlist to be able to place an order and sit back & relax. 

4 minutes ago, TennesseeTaylor95 said:

I am still waiting on my order that was placed and paid for back in the beginning of August for one of his 1921 mag catches along with the 1921 style rocker pivot and safety. I have tried to call lately with no luck and his voicemail is full so I cannot leave a message. I've also sent an email with no response from him.

If you're wanting something sooner rather than later, I'd see if someone else could make/modify a mag catch for you. However, if you don't mind the wait, then get on the waitlist to be able to place an order and sit back & relax. 

Man, I forgot you brought this up already. 

I think your messages might be lost in thousands he will never get to, due the injury he describes on his homepage.  I think you said his voice mail was full. I'd guess he was truly out of commission with no way to every catch up with the messages.  So call him for gods sake before he's out of commission again.

I'm willing to speculate because the homepage directs people to an alternate email, due to his injury. 

I would not be surprised if his old email has hundreds if not thousands of messages he could not handle why he was out of commission.

In that event, his only strategy might have been to create and new email and start from scratch, but that assumes a customer like you sends a new message to the new address.  Your original message could be buried with thousands he will never see.

I do pay attention when the machinist was machining in 1975. My morbid observation was "see him now or see him never".  When something like this happens I do take advanced age into consideration when deciding what to do.

And for me that's no disrespect of the elderly, I am very aware that if I want their work, I better hip hop and get on their list and it might be too late.

1 hour ago, TennesseeTaylor95 said:

Man, I forgot you brought this up already. 

I think your messages might be lost in thousands he will never get to, due the injury he describes on his homepage.  I think you said his voice mail was full. I'd guess he was truly out of commission with no way to every catch up with the messages.  So call him for gods sake before he's out of commission again.

I'm willing to speculate because the homepage directs people to an alternate email, due to his injury. 

I would not be surprised if his old email has hundreds if not thousands of messages he could not handle why he was out of commission.

In that event, his only strategy might have been to create and new email and start from scratch, but that assumes a customer like you sends a new message to the new address.  Your original message could be buried with thousands he will never see.

I do pay attention when the machinist was machining in 1975. My morbid observation was "see him now or see him never".  When something like this happens I do take advanced age into consideration when deciding what to do.

And for me that's no disrespect of the elderly, I am very aware that if I want their work, I better hip hop and get on their list and it might be too late.

I have no doubt in him delivering on the order, I'd just like to know when to expect to get it since it is cuttently about 2 months past due as of the last time I was able to talk to him on the phone. I know all too well that life throws everyone curve balls at the worst times, and both covid and a lower back issue are definitely two suboptimal curve balls to have back to back.

I did send him an email to his new email with no success. If all else fails, I might pull out the trusty old type writer and send a letter with a prepaid return envelope. Who doesn't like written correspondence, right? 

4 minutes ago, TennesseeTaylor95 said:

I have no doubt in him delivering on the order, I'd just like to know when to expect to get it since it is cuttently about 2 months past due as of the last time I was able to talk to him on the phone. I know all too well that life throws everyone curve balls at the worst times, and both covid and a lower back issue are definitely two suboptimal curve balls to have back to back.

I did send him an email to his new email with no success. If all else fails, I might pull out the trusty old type writer and send a letter with a prepaid return envelope. Who doesn't like written correspondence, right? 

I DM'd you say despite him picking up the phone for me, I realize realistically I might not get any items.  So no one can make an informed decision about the shop.  Because the output is the only proof it is open, or he managed to re-open.  I did try to add that his age strongly influences this game, it's the one none of will bounce back from.

Meaning it is very true that someone getting their items really is the only way to know if he recovered.  Lots of respect for guys that fight to the end.

After reading Tennessee Taylor post here, maybe I'm better to try and work with the Magazine Catch that I ground down the Bump.  Clean up the area with small Files or a Dremel tool. Try to make it look like Checkering, then Cold Blue it. I thought for the Money just get a nice Repro and just save the one picture for another project that might come down the road, but now back to this one. This project was on the Back Burner for several years while I built a Retro 601 AR.

20230223_120945.thumb.jpg.c35208e5df589306448d7c9b6eaf5728.jpg

Edited by jojeep

I have had him convert my 28 catches to the 21 style as well as rockers and safety levers. He is slow and took some emails and phone calls, but i am happy with his work. If you are in a hurry, he is busy, so it gets into the scheme of things there. 

I just saw the note on his injury. Nice guy I hope he can recover. He was responsive to me when I called, that said this has been a while back also. 

Tom

Edited by Vettom