What is the TATA Event Page link? Is there a website anymore?

I still don't know what's going on, but I'm pretty sure I will have it figured out by August.  I'd like to go to the one coming up but if TCA can't keep their website up, I don't know how they expect someone to get started with them.  And I know it's obvious to anyone who isn't wet behind the ears, but that's me.

I think TATA has a web page that's not updated, and TCA has a webpage that has been down for more than a short time.

If anyone wants to let them know that an old coot that's installed Apache will head on out if that's all they got, I'll head out.  Weather's been good so I think the motorhome will be just fine.

For everything happening right now with TATA I only have indirect sources (I think?)

I directly I think the dues or $40, and I have the dalpert application.  But I don't know if dues have gone up since 2017.

I saw a post for a guy who was new last November, it said TATA was usually August.  But it's sooner right?  There weren't any new links to a website.  The TATA page was on NFATOYS but not updated, maybe?

I'm the new guy now and it's embarrassing to have to ask all these questions.  I'm not used to being new when I'm this old. But I'm always gonna be new if I don't go to places like Ohio and see what's what.  I have time now for something like this that's important to me.

So I have to swallow my pride and say I can't figure out what the hell is going on.

02-23-2023-404 Not Found - [InPrivate] - Microsoft​ Edge.png

Edited by VirgniaRifleman
Confusion, wrong information, updated question

Well with the tone you have with this post I will leave you with this-you can ask the question here on the board and more than one person will answer you and help you with your questions.  Also Sir, remember this key fact-we are all volunteers, none of us are paid for these websites.  We all have full time jobs and lives on top of Thompson groups.  I am the Vice President of the TCA and have a full time job, a small business (firearms sales and manufacture), helping setup my fiancée's law firm AND planning a wedding too!! So with all of that, when Sir, do I have time to worry about a website?  

If you would look two threads down, there is a thread about the TCA show and shoot as well as the TATA one.  If you have or had questions about either event, you could find a host of information on either one of those threads.  You could also ask in one of those threads for information if there was something that you didn't see or needed clarified.  

Edited by Got Uzi

I will remind you sir, that this old coot in fact is an expert in configuring Apache, and offered to help out here.  I noticed people around here don't realize when a guy like me speaks up, it's to help.  If the files weren't lost getting the old boy up is pretty easy.  What made you think I expected you or anyone else to fix, when I offered to help.

And how dare you sir take a new guy and just flat threaten him with expulsion.  I could give a crap, but what about the next guy?  Searching your archives for information shows an uncomfortable number of guys getting the what for.  We'd never do that with the new guy, I don't know where you get off.

It'd probably take my convertible and not my motorhome, but otherwise I think I said it right.

f anyone wants to let them know that an old coot that's installed Apache will head on out if that's all they got, I'll head out.  Weather's been good so I think the motorhome will be just fine.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:38 PM, Got Uzi said:

Well with the tone you have with this post I will leave you with this-you can ask the question here on the board and more than one person will answer you and help you with your questions.  Also Sir, remember this key fact-we are all volunteers, none of us are paid for these websites.  We all have full time jobs and lives on top of Thompson groups.  I am the Vice President of the TCA and have a full time job, a small business (firearms sales and manufacture), helping setup my fiancée's law firm AND planning a wedding too!! So with all of that, when Sir, do I have time to worry about a website?  

If you would look two threads down, there is a thread about the TCA show and shoot as well as the TATA one.  If you have or had questions about either event, you could find a host of information on either one of those threads.  You could also ask in one of those threads for information if there was something that you didn't see or needed clarified.  

The funny part is, I salvaged the site from an archive, it took some work because TCA was not on Internet Archive.  It really didn't think VirginiaRifleman tried to encumber anyone and make them do anything.  This is machinegunboards, and a member brought up a problem going to the main machinegun events.  I don't think you can question that he is having a difficulty that is of concern to the board.  And never said anyone had to do anything.  If you are associated with TCA or TATA and are offended, I certainly didn't know.  I would just guess VirginiaRifleman didn't either.  It really sounds that there is in fact a touch problem, but it does not involve him as I do not understand your reaction.

I had the files yesterday.  I did not contact the board because I didn't have time to do public relations to avoid what just happened to VirginiaRifleman.  From my previous experience, if I had the salvaged pages in hand, I'd get the same treatment.  Assuming someone is pointing out a flaw precludes the possibility that the person has in fact arrived to help.  VirginiaRifleman also is inherently helpful because he expressed difficulty getting to these events.  It is in the application that the only requirement for membership in an interest in Thompsons.  So my take is that it benefits the Thompson community for a new member to go to TCA/TATA.

I believe VirginaRifleman said he had experience in Apache, did you just do an expulsion of a SysAdmin who offered to help for free?  Bold move.  We value SysAdmins where I'm from, I'd love it if they came helped me for free.

Anyway, like I said, when some people speak up, they are there to help.  I have the salvaged files, posting them would be trivial here, or anywhere else.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:38 PM, Got Uzi said:

I forgot the main points I wanted to help with:

Every association strives to get new members

Every association is there to shine the name of the brand.  I know web standards. Thompsons are supposed to be a fun technical exercise.  My career was tech.  I don't lecture anyone here about Thompsons.  Why are you lecturing someone about tech?

This by technology standards, there is no "workaround" for this problem.  I don't care where you posted information, it is in the wrong place.  There is no disputing that.

Also, you seem to forget that shining the Thompson brand is a pretty big deal, in fact that what associations are for in every industry.  There is no magic wand except your anger that makes Thompson the one industry that does not need URLs that resolve to websites.  I'm tired of playing along when no professional would do it this way, and certainly not publicly shame someone who had a problem finding the information that.......you guessed it, should be on the industry website.  It's a matter of pride by the way.  Your industry can't keep a website up?  Don't act like you are in any way put out by what Virginia said.

I've volunteered all over my community and the web. That falls on deaf ears, and it's not VIrginia's concern.  I'll refer to my inbox to see how many calls for tech assistance I have.....exactly 0.  So how many people were on the call out list when there was trouble?  Also 0.  Do not make the volunteer defense, it's hollow every time I hear it. The industries I've worked in, function, and rely on volunteers.

Whole websites, software suites and the Linux kernel is done by volunteers.  If your phone explodes, the excuse that a volunteer wrote the code won't cut it.  That's why standards exist.  And this industry has chosen not to follow them.

I was a network administrator, I taught cybersecurity and I worked in the industry.  If the two main voices of an association are down, but definition there is a serious problem.  There is no workaround.  In every industry, heads would roll.  No industry would accept losing one member and that there was not face of an industry.

Posting miscellaneous stuff here makes no difference.  The accepted standard, is there is no workaround to this problem.  The only accepted solution by the rest of the world is to restore service.  Any administrator would immediately stop you when you said relevant information was found on machinegunboards.com  What about everywhere else, have you posted this information on every website?  In the tech world we don't care about this or that.  In this case, the standard is that the official TATA and TCA websites actually resolve to a webpage.  Information posted here is irrelevant.  And someone pointing out the problem with the arrangement here, kind of makes the point.  This guy said if he was here longer he could figure it out.  But believe it or not, I do not know where the information is either.  I just knew better than post a message.

The salient point is that this workaround does not meet any accepted standard to disseminating information properly found on a different domain.

How was I to know you are spokesman for TCA/TATA who is personally offended by me?  The answer is that I can't.  This is not even a kludge, it is simply wrong.

Not acknowledging that there is a problem....well that guarantees you won't fix it.  Suppressing someone questioning it won't bring you closer to a solution that isn't laughable to someone in the tech industry.  In short, you have found a way to defend an undefendable standard, instead of marshalling the resources to fix it.

The effort you put into suppressing members is actually more than the effort by a professional to fix it.

Every person on this board with tech experience knows this situation would be unacceptable in any industry, gaslighting us does not get the Thompson name any shinier.

A functioning association shines the name of Thompson.

Where did I threaten expulsion on anyone? Now I am offended that someone would accuse me of such a thing! To PM me and vilify me, demanding an apology? Give me a break. I don’t owe you a damn thing and to insinuate that I do, well I’m not allowed to use that kind of language on the board….

This is MachineGunBoards and much of the TCA or TATA business is conducted here. Events are posted here as well as information. You don’t have to have a dedicated website for this. The TCA and TATA are smaller organizations compared to something such as OGCA. It comes down to time and COST! Look at the ROI on this simple fact. 

Someone none of us know, out of the blue, offers to take over or help manage our website-hmmmm that doesn’t sound odd to anyone? Same principle as a complete stranger offering to watch your kids for a week. 

What I’m going to say next is going to be offensive to some and quite frankly, I don’t give a damn…with all the stuff I’ve had going on in my life this past year (and more) it’s made me realize that there is more to life than sitting around my computer clutching my Thompson. There’s a hell of a lot more to life and I’m sorry if my world isn’t revolving around that like it once did. I can also tell you that others share the same point as I do with regards to this. 

How were you to know I was an officer for the TCA? You are correct in not knowing that fact at this time. On the other side of that coin, you could ask the simple question “how does one get in contact with a club officer of TATA or the TCA?” Any number of predominate and well respected board members would have pointed you in the right direction. 

62A0FA31-506D-4C3A-BFB2-82978A30E837.png

Hey guys,

Let's take a breath. I am sure the websites for both organizations could use a little work. Probably a lot of work. But let's stay happy! My Skeet Club world has taught me not to fuss at volunteers or potential future members. 😉 After all, the Show & Shoots along with this forum are supposed to be happy places! Attached is the information for the TCA Show and Shoot on April 28th and 29th. If you need anything else, send me a Private Message or contact me at: tkd5501@fuse.net. I hope to see everyone at the upcoming events. 

If you're not a member, include an extra $40 for one year's TCA membership and notate NEW MEMBER on the Show & Shoot registration form. Be sure and ask for a free table to display your collection. I guarantee a good time! 

TCA S&S info.jpgTCA S&S registration.jpg

• Upvote 1

The TCA web page is now up and working.

https://thetca.net/

Please see the membership application there as well as the 2023 show shoot application there too.

Any further assistance you need, send me a PM and I will get you all set.

Edited by giantpanda4
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, giantpanda4 said:

The TCA web page is now up and working.

https://thetca.net/

Please see the membership application there as well as the 2023 show shoot application there too.

Any further assistance you need, send me a PM and I will get you all set.

It’s down again as of 4:29 PM PST.

Excellent, first time I have been on the TCA website, mind you as I am a member of TATA, I guess it is much of the same, membership wise?

I note in your useful links 1, Doug Richardson, RIP,  is still listed.

Is some one else running his business now? I know in Doug's last year's Marilyn, I think was his wife's name, used to answer a lot of my correspondence and sort orders out for me.

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps
Typos as usual 🙄

I've had a very busy week, and have not been able to spend much time here at all.  It appears there were some feathers ruffled, and I hope everyone will step back and take a deep breath.  

We're here to talk about Thompsons.  This is a civil, friendly forum.  There are many experts here, and it's a wealth of information.  That being said, attending either of the shows brings benefits to Thompson enthusiasts that pale when compared to an online forum.  I encourage attendance at either.  

Let's move forward, be friendly and civil, and keep the Thompson history alive.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, rpbcps said:

I note in your useful links 1, Doug Richardson, RIP,  is still listed.

Is some one else running his business now? I know in Doug's last year's Marilyn, I think was his wife's name, used to answer a lot of my correspondence and sort orders out for me.

Stay safe

Richard

Hi Richard,

Bob at Philadelphia Ordnance has what remains of Doug's inventory.

David