Traveling by air with my M1, looking for reviews of cases

Good morning forum,
I am looking for reviews of a rifle case to travel to the TATA meeting this August. I will be flying and I am leaning towards the Pelican. Any recommendations and experiences, models that would work with the M1? 
Thanks,
Mark

Look forward to seeing the photos of the finished chest posted in due course.

The version I own is for a single Model of 1928, and heavy... So the airlines would be more than happy I think, excess baggage charges 😂🤣

I have the large pelican protector 1750. It's prob too big for a thompson, as i used it for flying with a garand. But you could drive a tank over it and prob be fine. 

And of course by the time i got home, it looked like it had been slammed against every corner in the baggage claim, so i would recommend spending the money on a good case. 

Pelican case (or equivalent) with the center foam specifically cut out for the particular gun.  Here is the test.  Pack your gun up carefully in your chosen case, pick it up and step up onto the bed of a pickup truck, raise the case over your head and throw it down onto concrete.  Repeat three times.  If that makes you cringe at all you need a better case.  Have flown rifles to Africa a number of times (sometime a gun as expensive as a Thompson) without issue and have seen out the plane window my case thrown onto the apron a couple of times.  I have a couple of 1750, but they make two similar shorter cases that are more size appropriate.  I have accumulated a catalog of cut out pieces of center foam for a variety of gun travel conditions up to a 1917a1 and M2HB

Pelican cases are best for protecting whatever is inside.

And don't forget, the Airlines provide very little to zero insurance or replacement $$ on any luggage. Get a temporary travel policy that will more than cover the value of the gun.

Edited by john
Spelling

When flying with NFA I have always used a 1710 Pelican.  If you are good at packing you can fit more than one NFA in the case. I've had a 1928A1 Thompson, M-16 and Uzi in one case but you do have to be creative. Stocks, grips, forearms etc. are packed within regular checked luggage.  Never an issue. 

I have a friend that that is flying with a very expensive shotgun later this month to a Skeet Tournament. He puts an Apple AirTag inside the hardcase and can track the location of the shotgun during the trip. I have never used this technology, but it sounds like a great idea. I think it would also be a great idea when shipping a machine gun away for repair. I believe the price for one AirTag is $29 or 4 for $100. 

A very good point.  I always put a Tile or Airtag in every piece of luggage.

A friend of mine is a serious Sporting Clays shooter.  Had a very expensive shotgun stolen out of his truck in his front driveway in the North bay area in California.  Long thought lost, but he had a Tile in the case.  Tile is older technology and requires a specific app on the phone to ping it, unlike Airtag which uses every iphone in existence.  9 months later, he gets a ping on the Tile out in the central valley of California.  Calls the local sheriff.  They raid the place, find a ratty trailer full of stolen goods, assorted perps and my friends shotgun unmolested.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TD. said:

I have a friend that that is flying with a very expensive shotgun later this month to a Skeet Tournament. He puts an Apple AirTag inside the hardcase and can track the location of the shotgun during the trip. I have never used this technology, but it sounds like a great idea. I think it would also be a great idea when shipping a machine gun away for repair. I believe the price for one AirTag is $29 or 4 for $100. 

Best advice ever. Practically any gun case will do, as long as it has foam to cushion the gun. I've travelled many times with guns and never had an issue.